NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Relic

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

There are 2 or 3 goals a game, they are far more important. And the benches never react in the same way unless its super important. Not a random 2 pt dunk. 

The point is people celebrate in sports. It’s nothing to clutch your pearls at. Frankly it would be more entertaining if we allowed our athletes to behave like wrestlers.  

Basketball would be pretty hilarious to watch if the bench guys silently watched their teammates play a loud, physical sport. The crowd should politely golf clap as McCord and Feherty excitedly whisper about Zion Williamson bowling ovee two guys while elevsting for a thunderous dunk. Decorum! Decorum!

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Basketball would be pretty hilarious to watch if the bench guys silently watched their teammates play a loud, physical sport. The crowd should politely golf clap as McCord and Feherty excitedly whisper about Zion Williamson bowling ovee two guys while elevsting for a thunderous dunk. Decorum! Decorum!

And yet other sports manage. Imagine that. NFL/NHL players on the sidelines dont roll around on the floor and run around excitedly pulling ridiculous faces after their team have scored 2% of their points. 

Anyway, you all clearly dont mind it and I think it lacks dignity and makes them look like fucktards. Nobody is changing anyones mind on this. 

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Um, have you not seen soccer?

Seriously.  One of the scariest experiences I've had in years was going to an England World Cup game at a British pub with my Mancunian friend and watching all the pitchers of mediocre beer spill or even be shattered during the way-too-over-exuberant celebrations.  I was very happy that day I generally stopped drinking beer years ago.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

And yet other sports manage. Imagine that. NFL/NHL players on the sidelines dont roll around on the floor and run around excitedly pulling ridiculous faces after their team have scored 2% of their points. 

Basketball is a high scoring game. By your standards they should never celebrate or can only celebrate in the last minute of the fourth quarter / overtime. 

NFL teams average 20+ points from what I can tell. A field goal of 3 points is easily 10%. NHL teams usually score below 10 goals. A goal is easily 10-30% of their points. Your analogy doesn't hold up. Anyway, I'm pretty sure NFL players celebrate first downs and long gains which are zero points. So there's that too.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Seriously.  One of the scariest experiences I've had in years was going to an England World Cup game at a British pub with my Mancunian friend and watching all the pitchers of mediocre beer spill or even be shattered during the way-too-over-exuberant celebrations.  I was very happy that day I generally stopped drinking beer years ago.

Yeah. English football fans are a whole different level of fucked up. 

^^^ Use to really love how Barry Sanders would routinely rip off some spectacular 40 to 80 yard gain and then calmly jog over and hand the ball to an official. It was intimidating as f##k to opponents who were left thinking "this guy can do this on any carry and he knows it."

When he reached an end zone he let you know he didn't need to celebrate, because he'd back soon enough.

He was such a unique player.

3 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Basketball is a high scoring game. By your standards they should never celebrate or can only celebrate in the last minute of the fourth quarter / overtime. 

NFL teams average 20+ points from what I can tell. A field goal of 3 points is easily 10%. NHL teams usually score below 10 goals. A goal is easily 10-30% of their points. Your analogy doesn't hold up. Anyway, I'm pretty sure NFL players celebrate first downs and long gains which are zero points. So there's that too.

No issues with celebrating, but the way they do it just looks pathetic to me.  Big deal, someone did a dunk, its still 2 points, there is 20 mins left and it makes no material difference to the end result.  

That being said I love it when the opposing benches admire someones play, or even better when they try and hide their laughter when their colleague gets humiliated or brutalized. 

32 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^ Use to really love how Barry Sanders would routinely rip off some spectacular 40 to 80 yard gain and then calmly jog over and hand the ball to an official. It was intimidating as f##k to opponents who were left thinking "this guy can do this on any carry and he knows it."

When he reached an end zone he let you know he didn't need to celebrate, because he'd back soon enough.

He was such a unique player.

Also the way he retired, the man had dignity and panache. 

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That being said I love it when the opposing benches admire someones play, or even better when they try and hide their laughter when their colleague gets humiliated or brutalized. 

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Big deal, someone did a dunk, its still 2 points, there is 20 mins left and it makes no material difference to the end result.  

:dunno:

There seems to be a tradition of 'I just can't believe it' type celebrating in basketball.  Like the bench players falling over or Shaq staring at his hand or Jordan shrugging at the opposing bench.  I think it's funny.

12 hours ago, DMC said:

Seems like a sad reason to give up sweet mother beer, but it goes to show that celebrations are universal in sports, even in stuffy old golf.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seems like a sad reason to give up sweet mother beer, but it goes to show that celebrations are universal in sports, even in stuffy old golf.

Well a goal in football (soccer) or a touchdown in American football, for example, are clearly far more significant events than scoring in basketball so there's a bit more to celebrate. Having said that there was a bit of thing about throwing beer everywhere when England scored a few years back, it was pretty stupid.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Well a goal in football (soccer) or a touchdown in American football, for example, are clearly far more significant events than scoring in basketball so there's a bit more to celebrate. Having said that there was a bit of thing about throwing beer everywhere when England scored a few years back, it was pretty stupid.

Sure, but a big play in basketball can change the momentum, of the game, and it’s not like there aren’t celebrations on non-scoring plays in football. Honestly one of the funniest things this year is when a defense gets a turnover, the whole team runs into the endzone to take a fake photo, and then on review it’s obvious that the turnover is getting overturned. That’s honestly more silly than the bench reacting to a huge dunk.

Also, with regards to soccer, the flopping is worse than any celebration, and that’s infecting the NBA now too.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, with regards to soccer, football the flopping diving is worse than any celebration, and that’s infecting the NBA now too.

It looks so funny when 6'10" players fall over so easily, a) because they should be able to withstand a tiny contact so much more, and b) because they are so ungraceful when they fall.

57 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Having said that there was a bit of thing about throwing beer everywhere when England scored a few years back, it was pretty stupid.

Yeah, average price in London is now £5+ for even shite beer, I'm drinking that thanks very much.

To be honest, if you don't flop/dive, you're not trying hard enough to win. Its ridiculous and unfair, but referees are humans that do not have the perfect angle, slow motion instant replay, instant processing power and immunity to pressure. There was an article on ESPN awhile ago that claimed that Mike Conley does not get as many foul calls as his peers because he doesn't badger the referees (zero technical fouls in entire career). I admire him for it and hope he wins with Utah, but that doesn't change the fact that he is playing at a disadvantage.

I don't know about other sports, but in basketball you don't even have to fall over. If I'm getting it right, the "rip through" many players use is to just toss the ball towards the basket and initiate contact with the defender. You only need to bait the defender into jumping to be sure of getting the foul call.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seems like a sad reason to give up sweet mother beer

Oh, no, I cut out beer in my mid-20s because I was getting fat.  Now pretty much just drink liquor unless someone else brings some wine or I go to one of those dastardly places that only sells beer and wine.  Not in any way suggesting it's a healthy diet - indeed just the opposite - but it's kept the weight off!

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

the flopping is worse than any celebration, and that’s infecting the NBA now too.

Flopping has been around in the NBA at least since the career of Reggie Miller, although I agree it's become a bit more prevalent.  Actually, it may just be because I'm watching more NFL because the Niners are good again, but I've noticed a lot more "flopping" in attempts to elicit flags than I ever recall the last time I followed the sport closely.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Having said that there was a bit of thing about throwing beer everywhere when England scored a few years back, it was pretty stupid.

Well, there was a bit of that. But for the most part, it was just their physical celebrations (e.g. jumping up and down, pounding the table, etc.) resulted in so much beer ending up on the floor.  And it was particularly disturbing that most of the entire establishment was doing this - even the parents of a shockingly high amount of kids that were brought to the pub.  Since I simply made sure to hold onto my whiskey coke, really I just felt bad for the kids.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Flopping has been around in the NBA at least since the career of Reggie Miller, although I agree it's become a bit more prevalent.  Actually, it may just be because I'm watching more NFL because the Niners are good again, but I've noticed a lot more "flopping" in attempts to elicit flags than I ever recall the last time I followed the sport closely.

I'm sure it has, but it feels worse now. However, it's still no where near as bad as soccer players who act like they just took a slug to the chest after lightly being tapped. 

Archived