NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Relic

22 minutes ago, davos said:

Agreed.  If he won't or can't take off some weight, he's going to have a hard time surviving in the NBA.  It would be a shame to such a singular talent become one of the great could have beens of sports history.  

Yeah, Idk what the right weight is, but 285 seems too high for a 6'6 player whose selling point is elite of the elite athleticism. Hopefully he has a long, healthy career, but in the back of my mind I'll always worry about a leg snapping because of his force.

Yep, he will be putting a tremendous pounding on those joints by carrying that frame over the course of NBA seasons, which are brutally long as it is. For comparisons sake Zion is listed as 6 pounds heavier than Andre Drummond despite being 4-5 inches shorter.

Then again Barkley performed great for years despite being what was considered "Too heavy", so who knows?

I think the key here is New Orleans. His weight might be an issue, but as Tywin noted, New Orleans has a bad reputation for injuries.

Dante posted an article awhile back about how their owner is cheap and shares medical staff with their NFL team. That isn't a problem in itself, but if you are also consistently one of most injured teams in the league, that could be a/the cause. It can't just be bad luck.

7 hours ago, baxus said:

If calling Barkley "The Round Mound of Rebound" for years is not considering him too heavy I don't know what is.

Barkley was washed before I began following the game with any comprehension of what was going on, but I never recall anyone mentioning Barkley as an elite athlete. He did his damage due to strength and technique. You didn’t have to worry about him flying through the air and landing with all that weight.

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

I think the key here is New Orleans. His weight might be an issue, but as Tywin noted, New Orleans has a bad reputation for injuries.

Dante posted an article awhile back about how their owner is cheap and shares medical staff with their NFL team. That isn't a problem in itself, but if you are also consistently one of most injured teams in the league, that could be a/the cause. It can't just be bad luck.

Actually that’s not the case anymore. Griffin overhauled the training staff and supposedly brought in one of the best units. My fears with Zion and NO is that he could literally eat his way out of the league. When I think of cities and unhealthy food, NO has to be at the top of the list.

First game tonight, so I guess I will toss out my season predictions.

West

Rockets, Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Jazz, Lakers, Warriors, Spurs

East

Sixers, Bucks, Celtics, Nets, Pacers, Raptors, Magic, Pistons

WCF- Clippers over Nuggets

ECT - Bucks over Celtics

Clippers take it all (damn it).

MVP - I take my hometown pick in Joker mostly because Paul George and Kawhi cannibalize each other's votes.

On the West picks, I still think Hardin dominates the regular season and I assume George gets healthy.  The Nuggets are really damn good and I see they are a trendy pick to win the West but I have to calm my own expectations.  I am low on the Lakers in regular season because I don't see their depth but they will suck to face in the playoffs.  I am fairly sure of my top 8 but maybe the Mavs take the Spurs out of one spot.

In the East I only really care about the top 3 and I have serious doubts about Embiid staying healthy.  I also need more than one 3 point shot in a pre season game to be sold on Simmons having any playoff value so I take Bucks and Celtics as the only real contenders.  The Net are the only team I can see surprising me if Kyrie gets really going.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Barkley was washed before I began following the game with any comprehension of what was going on, but I never recall anyone mentioning Barkley as an elite athlete. He did his damage due to strength and technique. You didn’t have to worry about him flying through the air and landing with all that weight.

Just checked his career stats, and the guy averaged 11.7 rebounds in regular season and 12.9 rebounds in the playoff. He may not have had the athletic ability of Zion but there was plenty of jumping and landing with all that weight over the course of his career. ;) 

5 hours ago, baxus said:

Just checked his career stats, and the guy averaged 11.7 rebounds in regular season and 12.9 rebounds in the playoff. He may not have had the athletic ability of Zion but there was plenty of jumping and landing with all that weight over the course of his career. ;) 

Zion is 30 pounds heavier coming out of college with roughly 10 inches more on his vert. He’s also had a lot of injuries, albeit minor ones. There’s a good chance that will continue throughout his career. Enjoy him while he’s here because it could be a flash in the pan.

16 hours ago, SkynJay said:

First game tonight, so I guess I will toss out my season predictions.

West

Rockets, Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Jazz, Lakers, Warriors, Spurs

East

Sixers, Bucks, Celtics, Nets, Pacers, Raptors, Magic, Pistons

WCF- Clippers over Nuggets

ECT - Bucks over Celtics

Clippers take it all (damn it).

MVP - I take my hometown pick in Joker mostly because Paul George and Kawhi cannibalize each other's votes.

On the West picks, I still think Hardin dominates the regular season and I assume George gets healthy.  The Nuggets are really damn good and I see they are a trendy pick to win the West but I have to calm my own expectations.  I am low on the Lakers in regular season because I don't see their depth but they will suck to face in the playoffs.  I am fairly sure of my top 8 but maybe the Mavs take the Spurs out of one spot.

In the East I only really care about the top 3 and I have serious doubts about Embiid staying healthy.  I also need more than one 3 point shot in a pre season game to be sold on Simmons having any playoff value so I take Bucks and Celtics as the only real contenders.  The Net are the only team I can see surprising me if Kyrie gets really going.

How did you leave the Heat out of the East? They’re probably the third best team.

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Barkley was ridiculously athletic in his prime. Not only was he strong as a bull, but he is also quicker and jumped higher than pretty much any other PF and was known to be completely unstoppable on the fast break.

He is most renowned for raw power. A Barkley slam once shoved a 2,240-pound basket support at the Spectrum six inches off-line, a feat normally reserved for a forklift. "When Charles leans on you," says 7-footer Robert Parish of the Celtics, "it's like being crushed by a trash compactor."

But what sets Barkley apart, in a league filled with carnival strong men, is that he delivers his power with such surpassing speed. "He's almost like a freak of nature, you know?" says Orlando Woolridge, Denver's high-scoring forward. When Barkley wheels off the dribble, or erupts toward the basket after a pass, he is "as quick as anyone in the game," says the 76ers' head coach, Jim Lynam, whom Barkley fondly calls Little Knucklehead. (This is to distinguish Lynam from his taller assistant, Fred Carter, whom Barkley greets as Big Knucklehead.)

If Barkley misses off that first fearless thrust, no matter. With his 39-inch jump from a standing start, a pogo-stick second leap, and the soft, ambidextrous hands of "a child of God," in Lynam's phrase, he tips the ball until he regains control. Then he coils and springs one more time, and suddenly he is alone at the rim, his bulk cradling the ball from would-be shot blockers. "I've never seen any big man quicker in reacting to the ball," Ramsay says. "You just see him rise up between guys."

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/17/magazine/headstrong.html

He was also 300 pounds coming out of college, at least by his own account.

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-recalls-trying-to-gain-20-lbs--in-2-days-so-the-76ers-wouldn-t-draft-him-175559002.html?y20=1

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How did you leave the Heat out of the East? They’re probably the third best team.

Because I am very West centric!!

And honestly I forgot about them, knock the Pistons off my list.

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What was Jordan banging on about 'Steph isnt a HoFer yet'?

As Magic explains...

The Lakers got fined last year because Magic said in an interview that Giannis would win a ring with the Bucks one day.  It's a made up controversy.

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

As Magic explains...

The Lakers got fined last year because Magic said in an interview that Giannis would win a ring with the Bucks one day.  It's a made up controversy.

Saw that and agreed with it. NBA tampering rules are a joke.  Jordan can’t make an obvious statement of appreciation, but LeBron can actively recruit another franchise’s cornerstone player.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What's the fine? Isnt Jordan worth 1.5 billion or something ridiculous?

The Lakers got fined 50k for Magic's comments.  So, not much, but still no reason to pointlessly piss off the commish office. 

5 hours ago, David Selig said:

Barkley was ridiculously athletic in his prime. Not only was he strong as a bull, but he is also quicker and jumped higher than pretty much any other PF and was known to be completely unstoppable on the fast break.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/17/magazine/headstrong.html

He was also 300 pounds coming out of college, at least by his own account.

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-recalls-trying-to-gain-20-lbs--in-2-days-so-the-76ers-wouldn-t-draft-him-175559002.html?y20=1

Interesting, thanks. I'm in the age range most likely to remember players like Barkley and Shaq as being fat, not elite physical specimens. 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Saw that and agreed with it. NBA tampering rules are a joke.  Jordan can’t make an obvious statement of appreciation, but LeBron can actively recruit another franchise’s cornerstone player.

Didn't the league reform them over the summer, greatly relaxing how they'll be enforced? 

Archived