Workable Objectivism (Ayn Rand)

Br16

49 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I spent a year bartending down in Manhattan's Financial District, just off Wall Street. My clientele were an entire bar full of rich men's sons. This young man would be perfect there. Not on my end; an Irish waitress would punch his teeth in after hearing ten minutes of this tripe. The suits on the other side would eat it up, though, and they could trade business cards. Eggshell with Romalian Type.

Not sure if that was intentional, but that really made me think of American Psycho Bateman and his firends/coworkers comparing their business card designs.

7 hours ago, Br16 said:

When the first signs of instability shows, immediately charge forth to get offers. The first to the life boat survives, he who lingers drowns with the crowd. 

So, you think the Titanic had the right idea? And SOLAS is a ridiculous overreaction of unnecessary red tape?

No, he would listen to Phil Collins or Huey Lewis and the News or something on his new walkman, while doing crunches. I think he would give a copy to homeless dude, shortly before murdering him on the street. To motivate him to try harder, to achieve something, anything, whatever.

Really all ships should have fewer life boat spots than capacity.  This way the ubergenes of whoever bumrushes the boats can survive.  When the survivors are rescued they all have a big orgy and superstrong life boat babies bootstrap themselves out of the womb.  

The fucking loser plebes that waited in line can drown lol.

My kid is going to punch his way outta that womb with a pistol in each hand screaming Yippy kai yay motherfucker lmao

The real Truthers are the ones spreading the news that the sinking of the Titanic was an inside job. Rose was always Keyser Soze! Did you see how well she walked after being on that freezing piece of wood after being in the ice cold water? She murdered Jack. That was always the plan! 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The real Truthers are the ones spreading the news that the sinking of the Titanic was an inside job. Rose was always Keyser Soze! Did you see how well she walked after being on that freezing piece of wood after being in the ice cold water? She murdered Jack. That was always the plan! 

When I saw that in the theater with my family, at the end

when old lady Rose goes up to the railing, my brother yelled "she's gonna dive down and get the diamond!" Half the theater started cracking up and the other half made irritated shushing noises"

Anyway her descendants all get +3  Hypothermia Resistance

Do libertarian sorts of people ever wonder why firms exist? For instance, why do we need companies to make cars? Can't some guys just make the bumpers, while other guys makes the tires and they sell them to other guys who assemble everything and then sell them to the public?

Well, about in 1937, Ronald Coase wondered the same thing, when he wrote his article "Why Do Firms Exist?" Evidently, the price system isn't so perfect that it can coordinate all human economic activity.

Now what happens when an Ayn Rand fan boy makes Ayn Rand central to his management philosophy. It turns out, he makes a mess of things. Eddie Lampert was a big Ayn Rand fan and he destroyed Sears. Among the many silly horseshit things he did, he applied objectivity philosophy to the management of Sears, resulting not surprising in massive mistrust among the Sears leadership causing things to become a complete cluster.

And anyone that has ever been part of group that has to work to together knows that if trust among members falls apart, things go to shit pretty quickly.

I think it's ironic that many conservative leaning people love Ayn Rand but they also claim to love the military, which is really weird because the values couldn't be different.

Ayn Rand: The Virtue of Being Selfish

Doug MacArthur: Duty, Honor, Country, which apparently one is to put before their own selfish needs.

Of course military units would cease to function if they operated according to the principles of Objectivism. Not that military units are the only human institutions where trust is vital. I just like pointing out the disconnect in the conservatism. Trust is even vital for corporations to function. And it's vital for society to function.

The way I see it, Ayn Rand's philosophy is pretty much a great way to cause massive mistrust among people.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:07 AM, Br16 said:

Moreover, unsustainable and bloated entitlement programs mean we could not possibly continue as we do now.

Which entitlement programs do you consider bloated and unsustainable? I assume you're from the US. So here is a quick quiz:

How much do we spend on TANF? How much on SNAP? 

As far as projected US deficits go, what is the biggest driver? And what to you think the source of the problem is?

What's more important? The total amount of debt? Or the debt/GDP ratio?

On 7/11/2019 at 3:07 AM, Br16 said:

I agree there is a lot of talent in the world whose strive for excellence is hindered by too much red tape.

What do you consider too much red tape? Do you feel that Jamie Dimon's talent is being wasted by Dodd-Frank or equity capital requirements?

And why do you not worry about all the talent of the "little people" whose talent got wasted because of 10 years of conservative idiocy, after the GFC?

1 hour ago, felice said:

So, you think the Titanic had the right idea? And SOLAS is a ridiculous overreaction of unnecessary red tape?

Damn right.  If Olympic-class ocean liners want to sink, get government out of its business and let it sink!

15 hours ago, Br16 said:

The reality is that the interdependence is not equal. The common worker has no means of purchasing raw materials, designing machinery, opening new markets or weaving operations in accordance to a complex business plan or supply chain. They need ready made jobs others create for them. 

Supposing the workers went on strike. What would are Galtian heros do then? . Bezos, Dimon, etc. could disappear tomorrow and society would go on just fine. Just imagine what would happen if the common workers just disappeared.

12 hours ago, Br16 said:

Well, I do own it, and from an economic point of view, it's true. And those of the Left need to own the massive failure of the Soviet model, and its corresponding human cost. 

Sure. Just as soon as conservatives own up to the failure of supply side economics and Kansas.

And by the way, Rand, the knuckle head, was a big fan of the gold standard, which played a key part in causing and prolonging the Great Depression.

10 hours ago, Br16 said:

The thing about life is that you can only trust what you have in your hands. You all knew you could be fired or laid off at anytime, yet many of your colleagues perhaps thought they could have kids because of that job, take on settle down mortgages, or perhaps live as if those checks were guaranteed annuities. And then everyone was caught unprepared and severely indebted when the meltdown came.

Do you believe in the concept of involuntary unemployement? Or do you believe that the Great Depression was caused by a spontaneous mass vacation.

And what did Ayn Rand have to say about this matter?

13 hours ago, Br16 said:

The thing about life is that you can only trust what you have in your hands. You all knew you could be fired or laid off at anytime, yet many of your colleagues perhaps thought they could have kids because of that job, take on settle down mortgages, or perhaps live as if those checks were guaranteed annuities. And then everyone was caught unprepared and severely indebted when the meltdown came.

The key is to look for your next job as soon as you were hired. Once there is a beginning , the end is already guaranteed and hovers over you like the sword of damocles. Always monitor the job market and keep your resume polished, and contacts ready. Recruiters are unsentimental and don't like people with career breaks, but they love to poach the currently employed. When the first signs of instability shows, immediately charge forth to get offers. The first to the life boat survives, he who lingers drowns with the crowd. 

I was so distracted by the many other terribly foolish you said that I missed the breathtaking ignorance of this post. People with one foot out the door don't make for good employees. Planning for your next job as soon as you get your current job is a great way to be involuntarily accelerated to that next job.

Your first paragraph seems to suggest that people shouldn't ever get comfortable enough to buy a home or have a family. What a bleak and shitty way to go through life. It's exhausting, and I think you'll find that workers actually perform much better when they think the company is reliable and won't treat them capriciously.

I guess I'm just a sucker that I believed our Mighty Capitalist with a Bold Vision when he reassured us repeatedly about the health of our company. I should have worked out the kind of high level connections and info sources that would have allowed me to know that our paycheck was going to bounce and that he'd stopped paying our health insurance premiums weeks before.

And surely in your Randian Utopia, where everyone signs mutually beneficial contracts from equal bargaining positions and with comparable levels of knowledge, similarly misled and hoodwinked workers will have an effective way to press their grievances against a duplicitous owner. Because the alternative usually involves nooses and lampposts.

Didn’t Ayn Rand die in poverty, and on some sort of government assistance?

She was unpopular with her friends by boinking their husbands, and I guess being an older sexpot isn’t profitable, even when you have such a superior intellect.Those were the days, when creating misery for all but you and your buds was in fashion. Oh, wait.

Archived