OK why are tombs empty? Missing girl case....

Lady Winter Rose

7 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/11/emanuela-orlandi-at-vatican-empty-tombs-add-new-twist-to-missing-girl-mystery

Is there any possible non-weird explanation why are tombs in this case empty - like did bones gone to dust or what?

I saw this news too (on another paper). It's just creepy. Even if it was grave robbing (assuming the officially interred princesses had priceless jewelry, the remains themselves should have been left behind). Empty is just unexplainable, and there's that empty underground room the found.

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume that this popular obsession with one missing girl case (what is the mystery? odds on rape and murder) has led, as such things do, to bizarre claims about where the body might be and where more exciting than in a princesses' crypt in the Vatican??

I also do not think its a mystery that an old tomb doesn't contain remains. Records are not necessarily kept, someone makes a decision to move things for some logistic reason (eg building repairs), or perhaps that was only a temporary tomb. I don't know anything about burial practices except that sometimes the skeleton is later removed and put on display in a crypt the family can visit, or the bones bundled up in an ossiary.

Archived