The Drunk Thread: This Thread Was Rapid!

A True Kaniggit

4 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I guess I m late.  If I get up in time heading to play some 1 2 nl in the morning.  Limited seats so its get there early or wait around for 3 to 4 hours twiddling.  Mohegan Sun if that matters.  30 wasn't bad at all.  When the joints act up...

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Got a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean cask, aged 14 years. Bit spendy, but very good.

Nice, that’s one of about 4 that I usually get if I’m getting a bottle. I feel like it’s a tiny bit sweet on the back end in a way that is both delicious and somewhat unusual for scotch. 

So I picked up a bottle of Scotch over the weekend that I've been eyeing for over a year now.  The main reason I've passed on it until now was the price tag, which was $95.  The Scotch is Springbank 10.  I've always heard amazing things, but the local ABC stores don't carry it and the few stores in nearby South Carolina that have it were charging well over what you'd expect to pay for a ten year old single malt.  

But fuck, man.  Having tried this, I feel like the previous 35 years of my life have been wasted.  This is one of the best bottles of whisk(e)y I have ever had.  It's like my tongue is being assaulted.  It's a glorious mix of oak, vanilla, diesel fuel, salt, and campfire.  The finish goes on forever and is a blend of sea salt, oak, and smoke.  It lingers on the palate somewhat similar to after smoking a cigar, only less offensive. 

If someone told me this was the only alcohol I could drink for the rest of my life, I think I'd be okay with it.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Got a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean cask, aged 14 years. Bit spendy, but very good.

That's a solid bottle.  I bought a bottle for the first time a few months ago and have been enjoying my occasional pours from it.

• 5 weeks later...

Bought a Johhny Walker gift box for $75 that had a small bottle of Blue included in it.  Had some after I got my vaccine and it was good, but not $200 a bottle good.  It smooth and balanced, maybe a little too easy to drink, but it was not a super complex tasting scotch.  Glad I got to try it for a reasonable price, but would never buy a full bottle.  I also found that there is a liquor god, and she lives at Total Wine.  I've had so many good, peaty, smoky, and affordable scotches lately.  There are some really good bottles in the $20-50 range.  Scarabus has been my go-to for the last few weeks, and at $30 a bottle I don't feel guilty at all.  Have also really like Peat Monster.  I've been trying to get my hands on Ardbeg's Wee Beastie, but it's sold out everywhere.

On 4/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, aceluby said:

Bought a Johhny Walker gift box for $75 that had a small bottle of Blue included in it.  Had some after I got my vaccine and it was good, but not $200 a bottle good.  It smooth and balanced, maybe a little too easy to drink, but it was not a super complex tasting scotch.  Glad I got to try it for a reasonable price, but would never buy a full bottle.  I also found that there is a liquor god, and she lives at Total Wine.  I've had so many good, peaty, smoky, and affordable scotches lately.  There are some really good bottles in the $20-50 range.  Scarabus has been my go-to for the last few weeks, and at $30 a bottle I don't feel guilty at all.  Have also really like Peat Monster.  I've been trying to get my hands on Ardbeg's Wee Beastie, but it's sold out everywhere.

I bought a bottle of Walker Blue back in college when I got my first internship pay check and I agree it is absolutely not worth the $200 they charge for it.  You're basically paying for the label.  For that price there are far better bottles you can buy.  Hell, you can get something better, like Glenmorangie 18, for half the price.

Wee Beastie is good.  It's different enough from the 10 to justify its existence, and I can get it for forty bucks in a couple of nearby stores, whereas I think the 10 is closer to sixty.

I got to try Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie recently and enjoyed it.  It's got a unique funk to it.

My most recent purchase was Glenmorangie: A Tale of Cake.  It's a really interesting bottle, aged in bourbon barrels and then finished in Tokaji dessert wine casks.  Smells amazing.  Tastes pretty good too.  Also, the box is neat.

• 2 months later...

And I'm out of whiskey. Again. And I'm too drunk to go buy more.

Luckily my older brother left a six pack of Yuengling in the fridge.

Don't mind if I do.

Cleaning going well. Currently have the Lord of the Rings extended edition going in the background. This party better get out of Moria. That place is dangerous.

I hope they don't lose their wizard.

53 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Cleaning going well. Currently have the Lord of the Rings extended edition going in the background. This party better get out of Moria. That place is dangerous.

I hope they don't lose their wizard.

I'm imagining this is you right now:

Woooooo! Another week of phoning it in at work done.

Time to play some FF7. (The original)

Lost $100 at holdem on the way home. Thought I was making a nice move with pocket 8s heads up after the flop with 10 10 4 showing, only to get beat by pocket 9s.

Damn. I love that game. 

Archived