A True Kaniggit

The Drunk Thread: Schnapps! Vodka! Whiskey! Shoot!

I'm looking to buy a bottle of bourbon for a friend. I've never cared for the stuff so I'm looking for a recommendation.  Looking for something around 100 bucks and that will be available at a local liquor store (it's a reasonably big store, but not huge).  Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm looking to buy a bottle of bourbon for a friend. I've never cared for the stuff so I'm looking for a recommendation.  Looking for something around 100 bucks and that will be available at a local liquor store (it's a reasonably big store, but not huge).  Thoughts?

If you're gonna drop $100 on a brown liquor, I'd go with scotch.  But if he/she is set on bourbon, I'd go with a good bottle of Michter's.  Although looking it up the standard bottle is gonna be around 50 bucks while their special bottle is about 250.  Apparently there's no middle class bottle available.  Won't someone please think of the bourgeoisie alcoholics!

Interesting.  I suppose I could get a $50 bottle of scotch and a $50 bottle of bourbon.  I'm sure he wouldn't complain.  :D

...sniffing a new bottle of Grand teton Vodka...idaho potatoes and i feel fine

:hat:

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

...sniffing a new bottle of Grand teton Vodka...idaho potatoes and i feel fine

:hat:

Well don't just sit there sniffing it.

Drink it!

done and done...chasing with fresh lemonade from my very own lemon tree...life is gooooood

Nice chaser.  Sounds damn good.  Just wrote my final powerpoint slide for lecture on Rawls and the veil of ignorance.  Not sure if it makes sense.  We'll see tomorrow.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Nice chaser.  Sounds damn good.  Just wrote my final powerpoint slide for lecture on Rawls and the veil of ignorance.  Not sure if it makes sense.  We'll see tomorrow.

I'd like to know if you did this while semi-inebriated?  

I've read somewhere that somewhere deep in our brains that we sometimes work out thinking of a nice reward like some booze on the other side.  I had a helluva workout after work today and somehow summoned the self-awareness early on that i was motivated by having some beer and wine afterwards and here I am.  Not sure if that phenomenon originates more from the lizard brain or the higher brain or a bit of both.  

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

I'd like to know if you did this while semi-inebriated?

Definitely more than semi.  I'm pretty familiar with Rawls, or at least the Theory of Justice, so it was just a matter of checking the reading and being like "yep, here are the 4-5 points I should emphasize/articulate."  If it was something I was less familiar with, yeah, I would need to be in a better state mentally.

That's a good question, have no idea.  But you're definitely right, at least for me personally.  Whenever I have to do anything I don't wanna do, there's always an internal reasoning telling me why I should do it - and most of the time it's a reward of some sort.  EG, finish the powerpoint, then you can take a grav bong hit or two.  I want to say that's more our "lizard brain," because I think it's kind of a survival mechanism, but fuck if I know.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:53 AM, DMC said:

Definitely more than semi.  I'm pretty familiar with Rawls, or at least the Theory of Justice, so it was just a matter of checking the reading and being like "yep, here are the 4-5 points I should emphasize/articulate."  If it was something I was less familiar with, yeah, I would need to be in a better state mentally.

That's a good question, have no idea.  But you're definitely right, at least for me personally.  Whenever I have to do anything I don't wanna do, there's always an internal reasoning telling me why I should do it - and most of the time it's a reward of some sort.  EG, finish the powerpoint, then you can take a grav bong hit or two.  I want to say that's more our "lizard brain," because I think it's kind of a survival mechanism, but fuck if I know.

Nice.  I can't say exactly why, but it warms by black heart that this kind of stuff can be done whilst in one's cups.

I swear I've read too that alcohol has this interesting phenomenon where it's both a stimulant and a depressant.  Most think of it as the latter, and it certainly is that especially when taken to the distance, but in the near term it can totally provide a certain type of energy.

Here's a question for those among ye that would enter this thread.

I went to an establishment that has Mexican beers on draft, and your humble narrator knows from past experience that they put limes in the draft unless you ask not to have it.  I quite like these beers but just don't like the citrus element added to it as many do.  They end to do it on the edge of the glass, so they're not going out of their way to get the juice into the beer, but inevitably if they just stack it on there some lime juice gets in there.  So I politely order one of these with no lime per usual, and then a guy brings me one with the lime on there.  I then politely ask if I could get one with no lime (so I've already not received what I ordered).  The guy then just takes the lime off of the glass and walks away like now we're good and also like I maybe was not aware that I could just take the lime off was an option.  

I was seriously fucking pissed, but I have this nagging doubt like maybe I'm overreacting.  

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I was seriously fucking pissed, but I have this nagging doubt like maybe I'm overreacting.  

Did you you say anything, or just let it go? I usually just let it go. 

My sister once sent back her Dr. Pepper because it wasn’t “fresh enough” before the food arrived. If you’re gonna complain, at least do it after the food is in front of us. 

23 hours ago, Triskele said:

They end to do it on the edge of the glass, so they're not going out of their way to get the juice into the beer, but inevitably if they just stack it on there some lime juice gets in there.  So I politely order one of these with no lime per usual, and then a guy brings me one with the lime on there.  I then politely ask if I could get one with no lime (so I've already not received what I ordered).  The guy then just takes the lime off of the glass and walks away like now we're good and also like I maybe was not aware that I could just take the lime off was an option.  

Yeah it annoys me that I'll often get a lime with my whiskey/bourbon and coke.  Usually I'll just take it off myself and try to remember to ask without one on the next drink.  What really grind my gears is - as you mentioned this guy didn't do - when they put it in the drink and I have to fish it out after the juice has already gotten in there.  

Anyway, yeah, if I did bother to ask for a drink without a lime, and that was all that the server/bartender did in response, that's a pretty clear dick move that's cutting into your tip.

"sigh"

Because I am me, I feel the need to let ya'll know.

Yes I'm suuuuper inebriated right now.

If you don't want to respond in other threads, then don't. If you do, you've been warned you're interacting with someone who is currently drunk.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

See? This is what happens when you do the right thing.

I self isolate, don't go to the store for unnecessary reasons. And what's my reward?

I am completely out of whiskey.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

57 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I am completely out of whiskey.

I dread this day, probably about two weeks away.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm out of lager. Loads of spirits and wine but not really my thing. Hope the supermarket is ok tonight otherwise my weekend is ruined. 

that is terrible!!

out here in DC things have become completely lawless regarding alcohol sales. later today or tomorrow a friend from a local brewery will be delivering me a case of beer.

but, honestly I am trying not to drink too heavy during this crisis. no need to undo the 12 pounds I lost recently from improving my diet and cutting the booze down massively.