The Drunk Thread: This Thread Was Rapid!

A True Kaniggit

Got a shipment of Scotch from Fine Drams last week.  It sat in customs for about three weeks and took almost two months to get here, but better late than never.  The contents: Lagavulin 16, Ledaig 18, and Laphroaig Lore.  Yes, I have a type.  

I've had Lagavulin 16 before, but the recent price hikes have it selling for around $120 where I'm at, so buying it online for $70 is cheaper even after shipping.  I've had several Laphroaig bottles, but not the Lore.  It's really good, if a bit on the vegetal side for my tastes.  The Ledaig is the real star of the show.  I got a bottle of the 10 not too long ago, which goes for $70 at the only store near me that I've found to carry it, and it was fantastic.  The 18 is probably the best Scotch I've had, and at $100 it feels like a steal, because even if I could find it around here (which I can't), I suspect it would cost upwards of $150.

On the bourbon/rye front, I lucked into some really nice bottles recently.  Woodford Batch Proof was a surprising one for me.  Found it at a random ABC store in a small North Carolina town and it's actually pretty fantastic.  It's got a great balance of sweetness and some serious peppery spice, and if you're into big, spicy bourbons like I am, it's wonderful.  I also got a bottle of High West A Midwinter Night's Dram last week.  The bottle is Act 6, so it's from 2018.  No idea why the store in question had it, as it wasn't heinously marked up (went $10 over MSRP).  I had the 2019 version at a bar before quarantine and loved it, so it was really nice to actually find a bottle after striking out last fall when it actually released.  I'm a big fan of High West ryes and this one is no exception.  Just a really damn good pour.  

One of my buddies was in Kentucky recently and grabbed me a bottle of Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel.  It's really great.  I got a bottle of it last year and it was one of my favorite bourbons from 2019.  The new bottle is no exception.  Just a really rich, sweet bourbon that hits so many of the bourbon notes I love, including toasted marshmallow, caramel, and malted chocolate.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Uh, drink? Or post?

I’ll be very sorry if you stop posting. The drinking part is none of my business. :)

Drinking.

Though there is probably a correlation between the amount of alcohol I’ve consumed and my likelihood to post at any given moment. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, briantw said:

One of my favorite whiskeys.  The Cask Strength version is excellent too.

I certainly don't know much about whiskey...but I'm slowly learning.  I'll have to try the cask strength sometime.  Have you ever tried any of Kilbeggan's whiskeys?  I took in one of their tours several years back when I was in Ireland and brought home one of those little four bottle sampler packs.  At the time, I don't think they were available in the US (or, at least, in my region - upper mid-west).  But I recently saw some of their offerings in the liquor store so I might pick up a bottle just for old times' sake. 

1 minute ago, Prince of the North said:

I certainly don't know much about whiskey...but I'm slowly learning.  I'll have to try the cask strength sometime.  Have you ever tried any of Kilbeggan's whiskeys?  I took in one of their tours several years back when I was in Ireland and brought home one of those little four bottle sampler packs.  At the time, I don't think they were available in the US (or, at least, in my region - upper mid-west).  But I recently saw some of their offerings in the liquor store so I might pick up a bottle just for old times' sake. 

I have not.  The only Irish whiskeys I've had are various Redbreast expressions (12, 12 CS, 15 so far) and Green/Yellow Spot.  I find Redbreast to be generally superior to the Spots that I've tried, so I tend to just always buy it when I'm in the mood for Irish whiskey.  Speaking of, I need to get myself another bottle.

I primarily drink bourbon/rye and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Scotch.  I've got four or five bottles of Japanese whiskey too.

Speaking of bourbon, I bought a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520 today.  I tried a pour of it an hour ago and it's unsurprisingly good.  Elijah Craig is just good shit.  I've got a bottle of the 18 Year that is one of the best bottles of bourbon I have had.  Just oak and vanilla for days.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't usually drink much, but I have just cracked open a giant bottle of Stella in order to toast President Biden. Two of these and I'll be off me chobblers. 

On a very bad day for the Gammon, cheers to the good guys. 

Archived