Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

16 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Speaking of which, why did Everton let Gueye go so (relatively) cheaply?  He was really important to your MF.  Everton improved a lot in the second half of last season, and they got a permanent deal for Gomes.  Seems crazy to let Gueye leave without more of a fight.

I don't know, really. 

I would have hoped for more of a fight, considering how good he has been for us in DM. The rumours say we want to replace him with some guy named Gbamin, who I know nothing about at all.

We do have Tom Davies, but he'll never be a DM - more box-to-box if he manages to step up his game. Beni Baningime may turn into something. Delph .. he's no DM. 

Perhaps we're trying to lower the age of the squad, and the wage bill at the same time.

I'm sceptical, however.

Just to be a little bit negative about the Pepe signing. I can't claim to be an expert considering I've never seen him play but he's basically had one really stand out season and that was still playing in Ligue 1. He's clearly talented and a lot of teams obviously thought he was worth signing but £72 million is a lot.

15 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

I would have hoped for more of a fight, considering how good he has been for us in DM. The rumours say we want to replace him with some guy named Gbamin, who I know nothing about at all.

If it'S the same Gbamin who plays for Mainz, then you'll get a pretty good/solid player. Was linked with moves to Dortmund/Leverkusen/Liverpool/United last year. Which might have been more his agent trying to push his profile tho.

Anyway, you'll get a good player but not a world beater.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If it'S the same Gbamin who plays for Mainz, then you'll get a pretty good/solid player. Was linked with moves to Dortmund/Leverkusen/Liverpool/United last year. Which might have been more his agent trying to push his profile tho.

Anyway, you'll get a good player but not a world beater.

Hope we get him, anyway. We're definetely losing Gueye, so we do need a replacement.

Sounds like a good pickup for Arsenal.

Re: transfer budgets I think it's all smoke and mirrors. If the right player came up at a decent price, I think any club would stretch whatever their budget was, if it meant they could get them.

I've always been amused when clubs declare the huge transfer budgets at their managers' disposal - surely that just means you're setting out your stall to get fleeced? If that's the way business is done, next time I go to the local flea market I might as well just tell them how much money I've got in my wallet before I start negotiating prices.

Typically I think the only reason "transfer budgets" are publicised is to either (1) placate the fans by showing them how much money is being put at the managers' disposal (e.g. United in recent times), or (2) signal to the fans not to expect very much (i.e. the current Arsenal position). In both cases I reckon it's a publicity stunt for the fans' benefit, not an actual hard business decision.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

Origi missing sitters and Liverpool being generally poor yet again. City are going to batter us next week.

We are average at best without our front three.Klopp taking a huge gamble not signing backups.Imagine if one or two of the front 3 get injured for an extended length of time.We'd be proper fucked.

I really hope that preseason means nothing because we have not looked anywhere close to being ready for competitive games. 

Maybe the manager is just forfeiting August while he waits for absent stars to return.  But even then we have a serious problem with depth in the positions we expect to create chances.

Lovely day out at the Emirates today. Paid a little more for club level and man, the view is nice.

Really impressed by Willock & Nelson, I know the latter will get most of the headlines, but Willock looked so comfortable in the midfield, both as a 10 & as an 8. I'm not sure what his best position is, but it almost feels like playing him deeper is the better option? Though we have a lot of players that can play deeper, so maybe he'll be more of a 10 this season.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Lovely day out at the Emirates today. Paid a little more for club level and man, the view is nice.

Really impressed by Willock & Nelson, I know the latter will get most of the headlines, but Willock looked so comfortable in the midfield, both as a 10 & as an 8. I'm not sure what his best position is, but it almost feels like playing him deeper is the better option? Though we have a lot of players that can play deeper, so maybe he'll be more of a 10 this season.

Think Willock would make an excellent 8. It's what he played for U-23s last year and most of his goals were patented Ramsey late runs. Think he could really thrive in that position, especially as Arsenal have no real B2B MFers.

Archived