Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Think Willock would make an excellent 8. It's what he played for U-23s last year and most of his goals were patented Ramsey late runs. Think he could really thrive in that position, especially as Arsenal have no real B2B MFers.

I was really surprised to see him do well after he moved to the 8 position with Xhaka - I think it'll be hard for him to displace Guendouzi or Torreira, but I want to see him play there at some point. It's hard to be too sure during preseason, but given that guendouzi & torreira both played over the summer, perhaps he'll get a chance ahead of them.

I think Xhaka still starts in our midfield, I know a lot of people want him not to, but so much of our stuff goes through him that I'd be surprised if he's not in the starting 11 pretty consistently for at least the first half of the season.

I haven't played Football Manager since one of the earliest Championship Manager titles back in the mid 1990s.  But in the last couple of weeks I was hanging around with my brother, who is apparently a pretty big addict in the FM series.

Any players here?  Is it worth it as a distraction from the too-slow-moving reality of football?  Last time I tried a game (he bought me an FM game a couple of years ago), I only played for 30 minutes before deciding it would be too much of a time investment relative to actual fun.

I've had a period where I played Football Manager a lot and the game was fun and intriguing, but eventually I just got "bored" of it cause I was so used to it, and with each iteration they've been giving more and more information and statistics. Like, the last one I seriously played was FM 2015, and then like when I tried to play FM 2019, I was  bombarded with even more stuff, and social media tabs ingame(yes you basically have an ingame twitter feed or an equivalent of it in addition to a general feed of information, at least unless I'm misremembering it), so it's just a super complicated game that you would need to pour a LOT of hours into to understand it and make it work properly. If you really love football and simulation games, it's definitely a thing for you.

I do remember when in FM 2012 I broke the game so hard with a unique tactic where I just went with being insane and ended up making a tactic so good that I could win against everyone, including the best teams(like, Man Utd from 2012 for one), with one of the better Croatian clubs, which is like... mid-high Championship level team? I still don't know how I did or nor can I recreate it, but it was hilarious.

I gave Football Manager up around the same time as Melphis. The need to add new features every year made it bloated and I couldn’t be bothered to spend hours micromanaging individual training schedules, etc. It was at its best in around 2010-12 when it had the right balance of complexity to make it interesting but not a drag. However, so much of why I loved it then was due to being 15 or 16 with hours of free time to play it in - if I was that age now I’d probably feel much the same way as I did then.

Football Manager is still my game of choice. I'll admit I used to prefer the old days of Champo Manager where you could just play 442 and buy a bunch of awesome players and whizz through seasons. Now the game is more like a science has a huge learning curve.. but only if you want to get that deep into it. 

Its a game its possible to pick up and play if you want to set it up like that (letting ass man and director of football do the boring bits for you) or you can get seriously in depth and set up training systems and just micro everything. 

I'm currently taking Doncaster Rovers through the leagues whilst implementing a dynamic possession based system, being a lower league Pep, and its a lot of fun!

Thanks everyone for the input.  It definitely sounds like fun but I don't plan to commit that kind of time to it.  I assume my brother was able to keep it up because his wife is a nurse and works nights every other week.

(I still play Civ2 rather than Civ6 because all the new versions since Civ2 were basically pointless bloat that took too much time)

Tried playing FM but gave up almost immediately. It was just too much stats in one place. I'm more of a visual type. Also, I've seen how addicted my friends got to that one and decided to steer clear of it.

Hell, I tried ice hockey version of it, too. Now that one was crazy complicated with all the lineups and stuff.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Thanks everyone for the input.  It definitely sounds like fun but I don't plan to commit that kind of time to it.  I assume my brother was able to keep it up because his wife is a nurse and works nights every other week.

(I still play Civ2 rather than Civ6 because all the new versions since Civ2 were basically pointless bloat that took too much time)

There is FM touch, which you can play on mobile I think. It's a lot simpler and quicker and you can basically play it when you are commuting etc. 

I get that FM can be all consuming, but only if you are the type of person who can be all consumed by games. I have a wife and kid and a full time job and can find a little time a week to play, doesn't create any problems.

26 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Di Marzio reporting that Everton have reached an agreement with Juve for Moise Kean - €30m +€10m in add ons + first refusal for Juve. 

May become good. I guess/hope/think he's better than our current crop (Tosun/Niasse/DCL).

Unsure whether it's a smart move to have two very young strikers as your first and second choice?

37 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Unsure whether it's a smart move to have two very young strikers as your first and second choice?

It's a risk but from the games I've seen of him, Kean has bags of talent if somewhat a bit raw still. Everton did well to negotiate this down to a first refusal. Initial reports said Juve wanted a buyback clause. 

18 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's a risk but from the games I've seen of him, Kean has bags of talent if somewhat a bit raw still. Everton did well to negotiate this down to a first refusal. Initial reports said Juve wanted a buyback clause. 

Yeah, the rumours I read said (from what? a month back?) that the buyback clause was the biggest stumbling block. 

Well, here's a turn up for the books. Agresti reporting that Juve are willing to offer Dybala to United in a deal for Lukaku. Also says Juve lead in the race to sign Lukaku. Agresti is usually very reliable for Juve so this is potentially bad news for Inter. We all know how Conte gets when a club doesn't sign him his primary targets. 

ETA. also reports that Pogba is set to miss tonights game due to a "back problem". Yeah right. Incoming bid from Real Madrid. 

8 hours ago, baxus said:

Tried playing FM but gave up almost immediately. It was just too much stats in one place. I'm more of a visual type. Also, I've seen how addicted my friends got to that one and decided to steer clear of it.

Hell, I tried ice hockey version of it, too. Now that one was crazy complicated with all the lineups and stuff.

Smart move, staying clear I mean. And that'S from one of the addicts. Got hooked ever since a friend shoplifted an older version of the game mid-nineties (CM as it was called back then).

Hockey version? You don't mean EHM, do you?

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

Biggest news from Ornstein this morning wasn't Pepe signing but Mustafi potentially on his way out. Now that would be something.

However there's also the rumour of Arsenal trying to sign S. Khedira. Which would not be a great piece of business imho.

Archived