Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

40 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think the intestest in Zaha is dead - Paul Joyce wouldn't have reported this otherwise and he's incredibly reliable for Everton and Liverpool. I don't see Palace budging with the window closing tomorrow though. I'd also be surprised if Arsenal sells Iwobi this late in the window unless Everton up the offer to around £40m. 

ETA. just as I typed that out.

Sure, the interest isn't dead. But I reckon we're interested - if we can get him for what we have offered. Which would be a club record deal anyway.

13 minutes ago, Raja said:

Honestly would hold out for about 50 million or so - he's excellent, home grown, lots of potential.

Individually, I think Zaha is better. But I also believe that he's better suited to be the big fish in a smallish pond, rather than a cog in the wheel. Iwobi would fit us better, I think.

Not that I think we'll get him, mind.

1 minute ago, Rorshach said:

Individually, I think Zaha is better.

Oh, totally. I think Zaha is better at the moment too. Zaha is older though, Iwobi is 23 and has a high ceiling. I think Zaha would have a more immediate impact than Iwobi, for sure.

34 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Lukaku to Inter done. 

Our midfield and forward line is worse than last season. 6th place is looking like the best case scenario now. We are one Pogba injury away from having a midfield that is bottom half of the table quality. 

Any chance that Fred will find his feet and improve?  Most United fans seem to have largely written him off, considering he was a big money signing last summer.

It’s similar to Shaqiri for Liverpool. He gets overlooked because his appearances were significantly cut back after Christmas, but perhaps he has been working on fitting better into the system.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Where is Delph? 

Don't see him in the first XI right now, as he has more or less the qualities of Gomes, but not the familiarity with the team nor the class on the ball. 

There is speculation that Gbamin will play CB if we can't get anyone in (Mina was ... uncertain ... last season), in that case he probably fills that gap. But he's no DM.

39 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Lukaku to Inter done. 

Our midfield and forward line is worse than last season. 6th place is looking like the best case scenario now. We are one Pogba injury away from having a midfield that is bottom half of the table quality. 

I can only assume that Rashford martial or Greenwood will be the main forward options then. That would be very worrying 

1 minute ago, Rorshach said:

Don't see him in the first XI right now, as he has more or less the qualities of Gomes, but not the familiarity with the team nor the class on the ball. 

There is speculation that Gbamin will play CB if we can't get anyone in (Mina was ... uncertain ... last season), in that case he probably fills that gap. But he's no DM.

I don’t know Gbamin but Everton surely can’t just let Gueye go and not replace him with a proper defensive midfielder. Delph certainly isn’t that 

39 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t know Gbamin but Everton surely can’t just let Gueye go and not replace him with a proper defensive midfielder. Delph certainly isn’t that 

Gbamin is a DM. Solid according to A Horse named Stranger, but I've not seen him yet, so I don't know.

However, we have yet to replace Zouma. Mina doesn't have his pace, Holgate has pace but lacks maturity (among other things). Gbamin, it was mentioned, could play CB. So it is possible to see him there as an emergency measure, seeing as we do have Delph/Davies who can play CM, and are PL quality.

Everton are taking the Arsenal route: forget about CBs, just go too heavy on attackers, it’ll be fine (or entertaining at least).  

United are taking the Bournemouth path: buy defenders this summer because the ones we have are shocking; don’t worry about losing forwards.

Liverpool are taking the peak-Wenger approach: anyone coming back from injury is like a new signing; don’t pay attention to any departing players. 

Archived