Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Gbamin is a DM. Solid according to A Horse named Stranger, but I've not seen him yet, so I don't know.

However, we have yet to replace Zouma. Mina doesn't have his pace, Holgate has pace but lacks maturity (among other things). Gbamin, it was mentioned, could play CB. So it is possible to see him there as an emergency measure, seeing as we do have Delph/Davies who can play CM, and are PL quality.

My own fantasy side I was considering Digne or Coleman but I’m seriously worried about the Everton defence if nothing changes 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Everton are taking the Arsenal route: forget about CBs, just go too heavy on attackers, it’ll be fine (or entertaining at least).  

United are taking the Bournemouth path: buy defenders this summer because the ones we have are shocking; don’t worry about losing forwards.

Liverpool are taking the peak-Wenger approach: anyone coming back from injury is like a new signing; don’t pay attention to any departing players. 

Longing for the season to start, so we can complain about actual happenings rather than signings..

Just now, Heartofice said:

My own fantasy side I was considering Digne or Coleman but I’m seriously worried about the Everton defence if nothing changes 

Would choose Digne if you have the money. 

Better passer, and a killer shot at times.

1 minute ago, Rorshach said:

Would choose Digne if you have the money. 

Better passer, and a killer shot at times.

Yeah certainly better option, but if don’t like relying on purely offensive points for defenders and IMO Gueye was a key player last year and without him I worry about Evertons defensive ability. Don’t know much about Gbamin but I’ve heard whilst a good tackler he has a tendency to drive forward and pick a bad pass so maybe not the ideal replacement 

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah certainly better option, but if don’t like relying on purely offensive points for defenders and IMO Gueye was a key player last year and without him I worry about Evertons defensive ability. Don’t know much about Gbamin but I’ve heard whilst a good tackler he has a tendency to drive forward and pick a bad pass so maybe not the ideal replacement 

We'll find out, I guess.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Any chance that Fred will find his feet and improve?  Most United fans seem to have largely written him off, considering he was a big money signing last summer.

It’s similar to Shaqiri for Liverpool. He gets overlooked because his appearances were significantly cut back after Christmas, but perhaps he has been working on fitting better into the system.

Possibly Fred could improve. He fits into the system in the sense that he's good at pressing aggressively and his passing ability is second only to Pogba in the team. The issue with Fred is that he's often careless in possession and loses the ball in dangerous areas. Last season that could be attributed to him still getting up to speed with the much faster pace of the premier league. Whether that improves this season is very much up in the air. 

The other issue is that the midfield has no depth. Fellaini and Herrera have left, Matic looks to be in rapid decline and there's been no hint of us signing any replacements. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I can only assume that Rashford martial or Greenwood will be the main forward options then. That would be very worrying 

Those are our only options really. While our defence looks like it could be better than last season, our forward line and midfield looks weaker so I doubt there will be any improvement from last season. We seem to be banking on Rashford and Martial getting around 20-25 goals. A number which both players have never hit. 

Reports that Arsenal have finally agreed a deal with Celtic for Tierney. There's also been reports of them being interested in signing David Luiz.

It also looks like Sane to Bayern might be dead. Sam Lee reporting that Sane's injury looks to be worse that initially thought (suspected ACL). More tests will be carried out tomorrow but it's looking like he will need surgery.

ETA. and Spurs have also reached an agreement with Betis for Lo Celso and are close to reaching an agreement with Fulham for Sessegnon.

29 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Ornstein confirming Tierney. Wonder how bad the injury is...

We thought the banter era was over, but we're one hundred percent lining up with Luiz & Mustafi as our central pair in one of our games.

Though I'd share one of the current big stories in German football - other than the endless Sane story obviously.

This one is from Schalke. Their big boss Tönnies got into hot water and facing some accusations of racism, and how the club has not acted totally convincing in dealing with it.

Tönnies is running the biggest Abatoir company in Germany. So he was giving a speech at a convention hosted by the German Crafts Federation in his capacity as entrepreneur. For some reason he suddenly ended up talking about climate change, the role of Africa and development aid. What could go wrong?

Instead of raising taxes [in Germany] we should pay for 20 power plants in Africa. So the Africans would stop cutting down trees, and stop making children, when it gets dark. 

Yes, he actually said that. Ofc, there was the expected (and well earnt) public outcry after those remarks. And Schalke was forced to ask themselves, whether that man could/should continue to be a member of the Footbal Club Schalke 04, or whether he was in violation of the club charta and the values of the club. Those procedures usually run thru a so called honour council (not getting too much into German club laws and stuff). And well, they arrived at the following baffling conclusion.

While the remarks of Clemens Tönnies were certainly discriminatory in nature, they were however not racist.

How the remarks can be discriminatory against Africans and such without being racist, I have no idea. But this way, he appreantly doesn't have to be stripped of his club membership, and can stay on as Club Boss. To top this flip flopping off, he announced that he would let his positions at the club rest for three months.

Spurs will win the transfer window if that happens. Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dybala and Sessegnon will be some outstanding business especially if Eriksen stays as well which looks to be the most likely outcome. There's no longer a top 6 - City, Liverpool and Spurs are clearly well ahead of everyone else. 

ETA. lol, just as I finished typing this. Still would be a pretty great window for Spurs if they can get Sessegnon and especially Lo Celso over the line. 

I'd say that, should Tierney be finally confirmed that tbh Arsenal should be just about enough to have a top 4, but it'll be a close one in terms of quality. A lot will depend on just how well Emery will be able to organize the team this season now that most of it knows him and his methods.

I'd say he might have kept Alli and Moura out of the team, at least initially. No chance he'd keep Son out. A major reason for his poor season last time out was because Allegri primarily used a 4-3-3 so Dybala was forced to play out wide or in a midfield three. He's only really effective as a secondary striker or #10. He's quite poor as a #8 or wide forward. His stamina isn't great either which makes him below average at pressing. 

I'd be gobsmacked if that deal happens. I don't know whether United would accept a loan deal but if Everton are offering to pay his wages as well then I'd absolutely take a loan. 

And, yes, Rojo is much worse than Smalling. Smalling is actually a decent defender who is strong in the air and isn't made out of paper mache. He just can't pass for shit. 

Archived