A Horse Named Stranger

Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

Thing is Ronaldo doesn't go up and down the line anymore (like a more conventional winger) so not having the legs for it is not an issue. He's more effective when drifting off the left than as a central striker. 

I can recall an interview where Sarri said he expects Ronaldo to outscore the goalscoring record of one season in Serie A, so, I think he'll be more used as a 9. So, Lukaku on the right and Costa on the left ?

If anything, Dybala moving to Utd makes a bit more sense that the Lukaku stuff I think. Dybala will probably not be used by Sarri, and we do need a creative to work alongside Pogba. A 4-4-2 with Pogba & McTo in midfield, with Dybala & Rashford on the front line would be mad... except it doesn't make sense that we are trying to sign Fernandes then.

So in the end it is just a merry-go-round to find the better wage really. Maybe there's no real tactical approach anywhere. I just kinda hope that if Dybala do come, he's not gonna be the Di Maria 2.0.

Lallana looked good as the No 6 :o

Keita looked sharp.

Hoever.... what a player he will be for us in a few years more if he keeps developing in the right direction.

Give the ball to Bobby and he will score. :D

15 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

I can recall an interview where Sarri said he expects Ronaldo to outscore the goalscoring record of one season in Serie A, so, I think he'll be more used as a 9. So, Lukaku on the right and Costa on the left ?

If anything, Dybala moving to Utd makes a bit more sense that the Lukaku stuff I think. Dybala will probably not be used by Sarri, and we do need a creative to work alongside Pogba. A 4-4-2 with Pogba & McTo in midfield, with Dybala & Rashford on the front line would be mad... except it doesn't make sense that we are trying to sign Fernandes then.

So in the end it is just a merry-go-round to find the better wage really. Maybe there's no real tactical approach anywhere. I just kinda hope that if Dybala do come, he's not gonna be the Di Maria 2.0.

Sarri said that Ronaldo is good enough to play anywhere in attack (which is true) but he's going to use him off the left (which is his best position). So far in pre season, Ronaldo has been played exclusively on the left with Bernadeschi on the right and Mandzukic and Higuain rotating at CF.

Dybala could work as long as we don't use him on the right wing because he is useless there. As I said before, Solskjaer has been using a 4-2-3-1 in pre season so Dybala would slot into his preferred position provided Solskjaer sticks with that formation. If no other signings come in then I expect we will line up as following:

De Gea

Wan Bissaka  Lindelof  Jones  Shaw

McTominay  Pogba

James/Greenwood   Dybala   Martial

Rashford

31 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Thing is Ronaldo doesn't go up and down the line anymore (like a more conventional winger) so not having the legs for it is not an issue. He's more effective when drifting off the left than as a central striker. 

Ronaldo basically plays in the same space and style as Hazard prefers, which frustrated Sarri's preferred team shape last season.  Sarri would much prefer both to play as a withdrawn striker centrally rather than a left forward who won't defend.  But I think he knows he won't be able to dictate to Ronaldo, so Sarri is just going to accept him in that left forward role and add other cover to compensate.

Of all the Juve players, Dybala seems best suited to the Dries Mertens role at Napoli, which was incredibly successful and central to their attacking play.  I'm surprised that Sarri would give that up unless I'm overlooking someone else who could fill that role while Ronaldo cuts in from the left.  Mandzukic seems a bit old and immobile to play that role.

10 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Lallana looked good as the No 6 :o

Keita looked sharp.

Hoever.... what a player he will be for us in a few years more if he keeps developing in the right direction.

Give the ball to Bobby and he will score. :D

So he wasn't get caught in possession each time as he made a fifth Cruyff turn?

Hoever looks really, really good.  He reminds me of Gomez, but with more flair.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Ronaldo basically plays in the same space and style as Hazard prefers, which frustrated Sarri's preferred team shape last season.  Sarri would much prefer both to play as a withdrawn striker centrally rather than a left forward who won't defend.  But I think he knows he won't be able to dictate to Ronaldo, so Sarri is just going to accept him in that left forward role and add other cover to compensate.

Of all the Juve players, Dybala seems best suited to the Dries Mertens role at Napoli, which was incredibly successful and central to their attacking play.  I'm surprised that Sarri would give that up unless I'm overlooking someone else who could fill that role while Ronaldo cuts in from the left.  Mandzukic seems a bit old and immobile to play that role.

One has to wonder how much input Sarri actually had in the Dybala situation though. Managers don't have free rein at Juve and Agresti, who is Juve's mouthpiece, said it was Juve that proposed this deal to United. So maybe the board decided Dybala has to go and Sarri just has to go along with it.

Edited by Consigliere

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

One has to wonder how much input Sarri actually had in the Dybala situation though. Managers don't have free rein at Juve and Agresti, who is Juve's mouthpiece, said it was Juve that proposed this deal to United. So maybe the board decided Dybala has to go and Sarri just has to go along with it.

I agree with that.  I wonder why a DoF or board believes Lukaku would be better than Dybala?  I do like Lukaku as a player and I think he has been misused at United, but he also looks sluggish/overweight and his first touch and link-up play are still poor.  He is much better suited to counter-attacking than to gegenpressing or possession.  And he has effectively missed out on an important three years of his own development.

Perhaps Dybala had become a problem they need to shift, or perhaps Juve are paying more attention to Lukaku's form for Belgium than for United. 

Looks might be deceiving there, wrt overweight/sluggish Lukaku.

I mean Rooney tended to look overweight and sluggish like forever. However it's hard to imagine Juve making such a move without consulting Sarri first. Or they needed to dump some salary and Lukaku is playing for less than Dybala. I doubt that's the case, however if Lukaku really wanted that badly out, he might have been willing to take a pay cut.

Nice to see the young American get two goals, even if it was just a friendly. 

Go Blues!!!

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nice to see the young American get two goals, even if it was just a friendly. 

Go Blues!!!

Only saw the first half but Pulisic looked very good. He made some great runs off the ball and his finishing was cool. We are going to need goals from all over the team with no obvious main striker and the loss of our main goal source in Hazard, so I hope Pulisic will continue to chip in when the season begins. 

Man City close to securing Cancelo from Juve. They are ruthless in identifying their weaknesses and spending the money in the market. Rodri and Cancelo is a great window for them. 

Cancelo is quite shit defensively though but if City are prioritising attacking ability then he's very good at that. 

Imagine thinking we need defenders

36 minutes ago, Raja said:
Imagine thinking we need defenders

Pretty excited about this signing! I know Arsenal won't be a better team with Pepe but they'll be more fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Pretty excited about this signing! I know Arsenal won't be a better team with Pepe but they'll be more fun to watch.

Yeah - our defense is still a huge concern, but there's a lot to be optimistic about, if I'm being honest. We've needed a winger for *years*

Every year I think I'm out, but they reel me back in.

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah - our defense is still a huge concern, but there's a lot to be optimistic about, if I'm being honest. We've needed a winger for *years*

Every year I think I'm out, but they reel me back in.

I really hope Willock gets a proper run. I'm still worried about replacing Ramsey and transitioning from defense to offensive quickly.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

I really hope Willock gets a proper run. I'm still worried about replacing Ramsey and transitioning from defense to offensive quickly.

We have so many options in midfield. I think the three we see starting against Newcastle could be markedly different from the line up in Jan/ Feb. It all depends on how Emery wants to set up. I need to see Willock again on Sunday, but man he looked really good live.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

We have so many options in midfield. I think the three we see starting against Newcastle could be markedly different from the line up in Jan/ Feb. It all depends on how Emery wants to set up. I need to see Willock again on Sunday, but man he looked really good live.

Yea. I hope Arsenal moves to a 4-3-3. Not sure they can work a 4-2-3-1 without a good B2B.