Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

Football: Steve the Bruce King of Geordies

Sounds like a good pickup for Arsenal.

Re: transfer budgets I think it's all smoke and mirrors. If the right player came up at a decent price, I think any club would stretch whatever their budget was, if it meant they could get them.

I've always been amused when clubs declare the huge transfer budgets at their managers' disposal - surely that just means you're setting out your stall to get fleeced? If that's the way business is done, next time I go to the local flea market I might as well just tell them how much money I've got in my wallet before I start negotiating prices.

Typically I think the only reason "transfer budgets" are publicised is to either (1) placate the fans by showing them how much money is being put at the managers' disposal (e.g. United in recent times), or (2) signal to the fans not to expect very much (i.e. the current Arsenal position). In both cases I reckon it's a publicity stunt for the fans' benefit, not an actual hard business decision.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

Origi missing sitters and Liverpool being generally poor yet again. City are going to batter us next week.

We are average at best without our front three.Klopp taking a huge gamble not signing backups.Imagine if one or two of the front 3 get injured for an extended length of time.We'd be proper fucked.

I really hope that preseason means nothing because we have not looked anywhere close to being ready for competitive games. 

Maybe the manager is just forfeiting August while he waits for absent stars to return.  But even then we have a serious problem with depth in the positions we expect to create chances.

Lovely day out at the Emirates today. Paid a little more for club level and man, the view is nice.

Really impressed by Willock & Nelson, I know the latter will get most of the headlines, but Willock looked so comfortable in the midfield, both as a 10 & as an 8. I'm not sure what his best position is, but it almost feels like playing him deeper is the better option? Though we have a lot of players that can play deeper, so maybe he'll be more of a 10 this season.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Lovely day out at the Emirates today. Paid a little more for club level and man, the view is nice.

Really impressed by Willock & Nelson, I know the latter will get most of the headlines, but Willock looked so comfortable in the midfield, both as a 10 & as an 8. I'm not sure what his best position is, but it almost feels like playing him deeper is the better option? Though we have a lot of players that can play deeper, so maybe he'll be more of a 10 this season.

Think Willock would make an excellent 8. It's what he played for U-23s last year and most of his goals were patented Ramsey late runs. Think he could really thrive in that position, especially as Arsenal have no real B2B MFers.

Edited by Mexal

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Think Willock would make an excellent 8. It's what he played for U-23s last year and most of his goals were patented Ramsey late runs. Think he could really thrive in that position, especially as Arsenal have no real B2B MFers.

I was really surprised to see him do well after he moved to the 8 position with Xhaka - I think it'll be hard for him to displace Guendouzi or Torreira, but I want to see him play there at some point. It's hard to be too sure during preseason, but given that guendouzi & torreira both played over the summer, perhaps he'll get a chance ahead of them.

I think Xhaka still starts in our midfield, I know a lot of people want him not to, but so much of our stuff goes through him that I'd be surprised if he's not in the starting 11 pretty consistently for at least the first half of the season.

I haven't played Football Manager since one of the earliest Championship Manager titles back in the mid 1990s.  But in the last couple of weeks I was hanging around with my brother, who is apparently a pretty big addict in the FM series.

Any players here?  Is it worth it as a distraction from the too-slow-moving reality of football?  Last time I tried a game (he bought me an FM game a couple of years ago), I only played for 30 minutes before deciding it would be too much of a time investment relative to actual fun.

I've not played it in a long time but I used to really enjoy it. My experience was that you'll probably have to make a choice between having a job and playing though.

I've had a period where I played Football Manager a lot and the game was fun and intriguing, but eventually I just got "bored" of it cause I was so used to it, and with each iteration they've been giving more and more information and statistics. Like, the last one I seriously played was FM 2015, and then like when I tried to play FM 2019, I was  bombarded with even more stuff, and social media tabs ingame(yes you basically have an ingame twitter feed or an equivalent of it in addition to a general feed of information, at least unless I'm misremembering it), so it's just a super complicated game that you would need to pour a LOT of hours into to understand it and make it work properly. If you really love football and simulation games, it's definitely a thing for you.

I do remember when in FM 2012 I broke the game so hard with a unique tactic where I just went with being insane and ended up making a tactic so good that I could win against everyone, including the best teams(like, Man Utd from 2012 for one), with one of the better Croatian clubs, which is like... mid-high Championship level team? I still don't know how I did or nor can I recreate it, but it was hilarious.

I gave Football Manager up around the same time as Melphis. The need to add new features every year made it bloated and I couldn’t be bothered to spend hours micromanaging individual training schedules, etc. It was at its best in around 2010-12 when it had the right balance of complexity to make it interesting but not a drag. However, so much of why I loved it then was due to being 15 or 16 with hours of free time to play it in - if I was that age now I’d probably feel much the same way as I did then.

I also played FM in the past, but eventually gave up because it was always somewhat time-consuming, but eventually became just too much, to the point you can't fully experience the game without it being a 9 to 5 job.

Football Manager is still my game of choice. I'll admit I used to prefer the old days of Champo Manager where you could just play 442 and buy a bunch of awesome players and whizz through seasons. Now the game is more like a science has a huge learning curve.. but only if you want to get that deep into it. 

Its a game its possible to pick up and play if you want to set it up like that (letting ass man and director of football do the boring bits for you) or you can get seriously in depth and set up training systems and just micro everything. 

I'm currently taking Doncaster Rovers through the leagues whilst implementing a dynamic possession based system, being a lower league Pep, and its a lot of fun!