Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

3 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Fed is going to be destroyed by Djokovic. 

No doubt about that. Even all the age and fatigue problems aside, he just plays a very poor tournament. Even in these easy rounds he  wasn't really convincing. He is far from his best form, his key shots fails him regularly, he just has no arguments against Djokovic. Frankly I'm amazed he got this far somehow. And yet, one can always hope.

I am depressed that Halep lost today.  Muguruza played well and deserved it, though.  Good news is now I can devote my total support to Kenin.  I have been watching her matches lately and find myself becoming a fan.  Muguruza is going to crush her.

In other news I like Djokovic and I despise Kyrgios.

23 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I am depressed that Halep lost today.

I am a big Halep fan and it's a shame she lost...this would have been a pretty open tournament for her and she was a big favourite.

Australian Open organisers must be tearing their hair out. The home hero Barty is out, Halep is also a big draw and she's out, and with Federer and Nadal both out that leaves the most unpopular of the Big Three (Djokovic) as the only big name.

Tennis lovers will know about Kenin, Muguruza, and whichever one of Thiem / Zverev gets through, but for the occasional punter who tunes into the tennis it's a pretty low-selling lineup.

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

I am a big Halep fan and it's a shame she lost...this would have been a pretty open tournament for her and she was a big favourite.

Australian Open organisers must be tearing their hair out. The home hero Barty is out, Halep is also a big draw and she's out, and with Federer and Nadal both out that leaves the most unpopular of the Big Three (Djokovic) as the only big name.

Tennis lovers will know about Kenin, Muguruza, and whichever one of Thiem / Zverev gets through, but for the occasional punter who tunes into the tennis it's a pretty low-selling lineup.

The heck are you talking about? (phrase used for effect, not meant to insult). The greatest player of all time and 7 time Aussie Open champion is in the Aussie Open final, continuing his quest to overtake Roger’s Grand Slam count.  That’s an excellent outcome.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:30 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

The heck are you talking about? (phrase used for effect, not meant to insult). The greatest player of all time and 7 time Aussie Open champion is in the Aussie Open final, continuing his quest to overtake Roger’s Grand Slam count.  That’s an excellent outcome.

I think it's pretty clear that, globally speaking, Djokovic has less of a fanbase than Federer and Nadal. So on that basis the organisers would probably have wanted a better marketing outcome.

To be fair it was probably more an issue with the women's draw. A Barty-Halep match-up would have been a dream final of two top, top players - the Aussie hero and World No. 1 versus another former World No. 1 who's still playing very well, near the peak of her powers. And Halep is one of the most popular players on the WTA in her own right. So to miss having both of them in the women's final would have been a shock and no doubt a letdown to the tournament organisers.

Thiem will be able to hang in some of the rallies with Djokovic, but Djoker will just be too good. Thiem's weak serve will also be a problem, as I think Djoker will be able to tee off on it. He has a phenomenal record in Australian Open finals and it would be a big shock if Thiem put any sort of dent in it.

I'm calling Djokovic in straight sets. If Thiem plays really well, maybe he'll stretch it to four but I doubt it.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

I think it's pretty clear that, globally speaking, Djokovic has less of a fanbase than Federer and Nadal. So on that basis the organisers would probably have wanted a better marketing outcome.

To be fair it was probably more an issue with the women's draw. A Barty-Halep match-up would have been a dream final of two top, top players - the Aussie hero and World No. 1 versus another former World No. 1 who's still playing very well, near the peak of her powers. And Halep is one of the most popular players on the WTA in her own right. So to miss having both of them in the women's final would have been a shock and no doubt a letdown to the tournament organisers.

Thiem will be able to hang in some of the rallies with Djokovic, but Djoker will just be too good. Thiem's weak serve will also be a problem, as I think Djoker will be able to tee off on it. He has a phenomenal record in Australian Open finals and it would be a big shock if Thiem put any sort of dent in it.

I'm calling Djokovic in straight sets. If Thiem plays really well, maybe he'll stretch it to four but I doubt it.

Really upset with the lack of crowd support for Novak. You’d think after 7 championship wins he would be a favourite in Australia at least. But sounds like Thiem is the crowd favourite today.

Ridiculous.

Sofia Kenin beats Garbine Muguruza and wins her first slam.  While I thought the day would be Muguruza's, I was rooting for Kenin.  Good for her.  I think both these players will continue to play well and gain more recognition.  Halep is my favorite on the women's side but it can only be good for the game when young, engaging players manage to win.  I think Kenin has it in her to be very popular with her aggressive style of play...if she keeps winning.  Winning is the key as always. 

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Really upset with the lack of crowd support for Novak. You’d think after 7 championship wins he would be a favourite in Australia at least. But sounds like Thiem is the crowd favourite today.

Ridiculous.

I have never understood it.  He has my support. 

It's not that confusing, once you think about it.

Spectators paid insane amounts of money to watch the match and they would want to see the best match possible, regardless of who they're supporting. Seeing Djokovic trample Thiem 6:2, 6:2, 6:2 in an hour and a half would not be in their best interest. Seeing Thiem trample Djokovic like that would be a sensation and they'd all at least have that "I was there when it happened".

55 minutes ago, baxus said:

It's not that confusing, once you think about it.

Spectators paid insane amounts of money to watch the match and they would want to see the best match possible, regardless of who they're supporting. Seeing Djokovic trample Thiem 6:2, 6:2, 6:2 in an hour and a half would not be in their best interest. Seeing Thiem trample Djokovic like that would be a sensation and they'd all at least have that "I was there when it happened".

Weak argument, to be honest. As multiple articles in the press today have pointed out, the Melbourne crowd’s treatment of 7 time Aus Open champion Djokovic was a disgrace.

He is the King of the Aus Open just as Rafa is the King of Roland Garross and Federer used to be the King of Wimbledon. You don’t see the British and French crowds cheering against those two players in the way the Melbourne crowd cheered against Novak yesterday.

29 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Weak argument, to be honest. As multiple articles in the press today have pointed out, the Melbourne crowd’s treatment of 7 time Aus Open champion Djokovic was a disgrace.

He is the King of the Aus Open just as Rafa is the King of Roland Garross and Federer used to be the King of Wimbledon. You don’t see the British and French crowds cheering against those two players in the way the Melbourne crowd cheered against Novak yesterday.

Whether justified or not, a lot of people just think he is a bit of a prick. 

Nobody likes the youngster who comes along and just destroys the old legends (perception as obviously he is very close in age to Nadal). 

He is my compatriot and I love seeing him become as great as he has become, but it has to be said that he's different from what tennis crowds are used to seeing. His behaviour from the beginning of his career did him no favours when it comes to making him crowd favourite.

I think it should also be pointed out that Australian crowds are generally quite cynical. 

So this is a major generalisation, but Federer is made for the Wimbledon crowd; his style of play is romantic and at least appears effortless (in comparison to Nadal and Djokovic's more visible strenuousness). Though French fans can be notoriously fickle and favourably inclined to booing, they have embraced the fellow Western European in Nadal.

Australian crowds? Well, they're just generally hard to win over. They love an underdog (which Djokovic is never one at the Australian Open) and they don't need much excuse to turn on players, especially if they're good. Tall poppy syndrome is a pretty big thing in Australia.

5 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

He is the King of the Aus Open

That is precisely the reason for anti-Novak sentiment in Melbourne. All other things being equal, Australians prefer the underdog to the champ (especially an annoying champ like Novak). 

Archived