Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is both a great match and choke city. Neither man wants to win.

Some of the greatest matches are choke city.

Glad for Thiem to have pulled off a Grand Slam win for once. He's 27 so still has a few good years left but you don't want that monkey on your back for too long.

Zverev will get plenty more chances, he's only 23. 

It was not a great match, mostly. Had some brilliant actions here and there, but overall both players made more unforced errors than winners, for fuck's sake, in the Grand Slam final. Anyway, I went to sleep at the beginning of a decider, which also tells a lot, I wouldn't dream of falling asleep if it was Djokovic vs. Federer or Nadal for example.

And Novak powers on to yet another Italian Open title. And he has now overtaken Sampras for total weeks spent at no.1. Now just got Federer ahead of him and should overtake him as well in April.

Real pity about 2020. Novak should have had both Wimbledon and the US Open titles added to his Grand Slam list this year. His likely eventual Grand Slam total of around 22-23 would have been 25 or more if not for that bit of misfortune.

• 2 weeks later...

What a brilliant performance of Iga Świątek against Simona Halep in FO fourth round, and what a perfect revenge for the loss 0-6,1-6 at the very same stage here last year. 

I am obviously biased, as we crave desperately for another great player after Agnieszka Radwańska, but watching this match I felt confident it was a future Grand slam champion on the court. Hopefully this very tournament. 

On 10/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, 3CityApache said:

watching this match I felt confident it was a future Grand slam champion on the court. Hopefully this very tournament. 

And hell yeah, she did it! Amazing tournament. A win without a single set lost, with Vondrousova, Halep and Kenin scalps on the way. I hope she stays on top for years. 

Well, Kenin is the world #4 and reigning champion of Australian Open. As for Świątek, those who saw her winning junior Wimbledon just two years ago mostly predicted she would become a major winner sooner or later. I just thought it would take her a bit more time. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I dont watch tennis as much as I used to, but has there ever been a slam final with so little name recognition? 

I'm sure there are a ton of random GS Finals matches, especially on the women's side absent a group of dominate players in which Serena is the sun. 

Glad to see Nadal vs Joker. I'm sure I'll be screaming at my TV tomorrow. Get it done, Rafa! 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is anyone in any sport as good at something as Nadal is at playing on clay? 

There's always that Australian cricket player with the insane batting average.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I was just about to say the same thing.

He's 34 years old, playing a man who might end up being the greatest tennis player of all time and is making it look easy.

Novak is just a year and a few weeks younger. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Novak is just a year and a few weeks younger. 

It's not a comment on their relative ages. It's that at an age were tennis players should be well in to their decline, with two bad knees on top of that and pretty physical style of play he's still totally dominant on clay.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's not a comment on their relatively ages. It's that at an age were tennis players should be well in to their decline, with two bad knees on top that and pretty physical style of play he's still totally dominant on clay.

Got it. And that was in part an admission that I also forget Novak isn't that much younger than Rafa.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's always that Australian cricket player with the insane batting average.

Respec' to Don Bradman indeed.

Add in also Jose Aldo at takedown defence in MMA, Ronnie O'Sullivan building maximum breaks and, though I don't know shit about bball really, I guess Steph Curry shooting three-pointers?

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Respec' to Don Bradman indeed.

Add in also Jose Aldo at takedown defence in MMA, Ronnie O'Sullivan building maximum breaks and, though I don't know shit about bball really, I guess Steph Curry shooting three-pointers?

I'm not sure why I always forget his name, lol. But then again I don't watch cricket. 

On Curry, he might have been first to the party rather than doing something no one else can. Lillard appears to be just as good, and LeBron is scary when he's easily draining long three's. 

Archived