Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

I see it completely the other way, BFC. Osaka is ignoring her media obligations and using a BS excuse to blame it on mental health. Doing so takes away from people who are actually suffering in serious ways, and this has become far to rampant these days. I have a friend who has been talking about committing suicide for a few months now, and several people and I have donated a fair bit of money to get him hospitalized and taken care of. What David is going through is a far cry from Osaka not wanting to answer questions at a press conference, and it's offensive to those really in need to use that as an excuse.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

Yeah, completely with BFC here.

We can have a debate regarding what is considered to be a player's obligations but I think stating that she is 'undercutting people with real mental health concerns'  is imo completely beyond the pale when you have no idea about the person or what she is going through/ has been through.

She said she didn't want to keep answering the same questions and that it was affecting her mental health. That's a million miles away from serious mental health concerns, and by that logic, no athlete ever needs to answer a single question from the press again.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

She said she didn't want to keep answering the same questions and that it was affecting her mental health. That's a million miles away from serious mental health concerns, and by that logic, no athlete ever needs to answer a single question from the press again.

I do not make the distinction between what is considered by you to be a 'serious mental health concern' - something does not need to be a mental health crisis to be taken seriously ( You also have zero idea how it is affecting her, so you do not know if it is a 'million miles away' or one mile away).

You choose not to believe her, and your arguments so far have been completely lacking in empathy.

I'm going to agree to disagree as well.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I do not make the distinction between what is considered by you to be a 'serious mental health concern' - something does not need to be a mental health crisis to be taken seriously ( You also have zero idea how it is affecting her, so you do not know if it is a 'million miles away' or one mile away).

You choose not to believe her, and your arguments so far have been completely lacking in empathy.

I'm going to agree to disagree as well.

And likewise, you have zero idea if she's just using it as an excuse. She's demonstrated no reason to believe there is any crisis in her life and that if there was, it has anything to do with answering a few simple questions after a match. 

We need to be aware of individual's mental well being, but we can't also allow it to just be a no questions asked, blanket excuse when people don't want to do something. If I told any of my psychology professors in college that I wouldn't be taking any tests going forward because of mental health reasons, they'd suggest I see a therapist and tell me to reenroll in their classes next semester. 

As a journalist, I have to agree with Tywin here. They often ask dumb questions, sure. The players' answers are seldom interesting as well. But it is simply quite important part of the work of those journalists as well. I for one read articles about tennis matches and seek players quotes in them. Imagine all players refuse participating in press conferences and what would be the effect. 

And besides, dumb or boring questions are not the only ones that are being asked during those press conferences, sometimes they can even be quite fun. 

I don't know for sure, so this post is just speculation. But I imagine that participating at press conferences are a contractual agreement that the player signs up to when they compete in the tournament. If Osaka was going to refuse to do it, ideally she should have negotiated that beforehand rather than make a false representation by agreeing to it and then not keeping up her end of the bargain.

It's a house of cards for journalism if Osaka gets off for it, but the Grand Slams probably need to review some of their contracts and impose stricter fines and/or proper procedures for refusing to do press conferences (and what might be acceptable excuses for missing them). Having a non-partisan assessor of mental health would probably be part of it, too.

44 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I don't know for sure, so this post is just speculation. But I imagine that participating at press conferences are a contractual agreement that the player signs up to when they compete in the tournament. If Osaka was going to refuse to do it, ideally she should have negotiated that beforehand rather than make a false representation by agreeing to it and then not keeping up her end of the bargain.

It's a house of cards for journalism if Osaka gets off for it, but the Grand Slams probably need to review some of their contracts and impose stricter fines and/or proper procedures for refusing to do press conferences (and what might be acceptable excuses for missing them). Having a non-partisan assessor of mental health would probably be part of it, too.

This is why she has offered to pay the fines, which creates a tough spot. Again, I understand a player requesting to not address the media for a few days if there's a legitimate reason, even if it's just that they need a mental break for a day or two, but saying preemptively that you will not address the media at a major and citing mental health as a reason as a blanket excuse seems a bit too far absent a clear reason to do so. 

Is anyone else having difficulty marrying these two statements?

"I have a degree in psychology"

And "and so he just said mental health reasons and left it at that despite him going to parties at the same time."?

Since when was going to parties good evidence that they have no mental health problems? And how does someone with a degree in psychology manage to think that?

I can only assume there a much deeper knowledge to that specific with just lazy writing here, but it's such a ridiculous thing to say I can't not address it.

I  just read about this a couple of hours ago. I hope, if it's what she wants, that Osaka sticks to this. If the interviews are harming her mental health, it is ridiculous to keep doing them. Or just pull the Marshawn Lynch, show up, say nothing.

I think this take, from British player Naomi Broady, is the second most ridiculous thing I have read about Osaka's actions:

"Largely the prize money given to us is from the media rights that the tournament sells and if you're not participating with the media then maybe you can't participate in the tournament."

Umm...pretty sure the media buys the rights because they make a boatload of money selling ads. The media didn't gift this money to WTA, just as the prize money isn't "given" to the players. The players earn the money and the media companies earn way more back by selling ads.

Osaka may have broken a contractual agreement. And that means she will have to pay the fine and have consequences. But there is no price on one's mental health. I hope she can negotiate some other situation for the next tournament and, if the org decides they don't want one of their most dynamic young players involved because she won't mindlessly perform for the cameras beyond her actual sport playing, then she should rake them over the coals.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Is anyone else having difficulty marrying these two statements?

"I have a degree in psychology"

And "and so he just said mental health reasons and left it at that despite him going to parties at the same time."?

Since when was going to parties good evidence that they have no mental health problems? And how does someone with a degree in psychology manage to think that?

I can only assume there a much deeper knowledge to that specific with just lazy writing here, but it's such a ridiculous thing to say I can't not address it.

Pretty easy to square those two, really. If an individual suffers from something that causes them a lot of anxiety and/or trauma, they're not going to go out right afterwards and have fun in most instances. It's going to have a lasting impact on them. I used to work with kids who'd be left shaken for days if they were asked to read in front of the room, even if they got everything right. That's a far cry from Osaka saying it's not in her best interest to answer a few simple questions simply because she doesn't want to do it. Part of the field is about catching people on their BS and this absolutely sounds like it. If she doesn't want to do them, just say it and live with the consequences. Citing mental health concerns absent anything as an excuse is kind of offensive to people with serious mental health concerns.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pretty easy to square those two, really. If an individual suffers from something that causes them a lot of anxiety and/or trauma, they're not going to go out right afterwards and have fun in most instances. It's going to have a lasting impact on them. I used to work with kids who'd be left shaken for days if they were asked to read in front of the room, even if they got everything right. That's a far cry from Osaka saying it's not in her best interest to answer a few simple questions simply because she doesn't want to do it. Part of the field is about catching people on their BS and this absolutely sounds like it. If she doesn't want to do them, just say it and live with the consequences. Citing mental health concerns absent anything as an excuse is kind of offensive to people with serious mental health concerns.

By your logic the Kurt Cobain was in perfect mental health throughout his career and multiple suicide attempts. As was Robin Williams, as was Amy Winehouse as was (fill in hundreds of thousands of other examples here, famous and otherwise).

Depressed people attend parties. Depressed people smile.

Depressed people make jokes.

Depressed people have a face they show the outside world that doesn't reflect their inner turmoil.

For someone with a degree in the subject, you should really know this.

FTR, I say this as someone who used to be one of those kids, who's struggled with mental health for approximately 40 of my 45 years on this planet, with god's alone know how many suicide attempts I failed at through the incompetence of youth. Yes, I was deeply shaken being asked to read aloud in class, but I could still joke and smile, and go to parties (which I hated, but did anyway).

Unless you know the individual concerned, dismissing their mental health concerns out of hand, especially on such absolute bullshit rationale, is far far worse than taking them at their word.

Did I miss the explanation why and how exactly would turning up for press conferences actually affect her mental health?

If there is a medical reason for it then ok, just get some medical documentation to back that claim up and you're good to go. I mean, players can use all kinds of otherwise banned substances if there is a medical reason for it so there is no reason why mental health would be treated any differently.

On the other hand, if it's a case of "I can't be bothered answering stupid questions" then I'd ban her from GS tournaments for a year and let her focus on her mental health properly.

49 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

By your logic the Kurt Cobain was in perfect mental health throughout his career and multiple suicide attempts. As was Robin Williams, aswasAmy Winehiuse as was (fill in hundreds of thousands of other examples here, famous and otherwise).

Depressed people have a face they show the outside world that doesn't reflect their inner turmoil.

FTR, I say this as someone who used to be one of those kids, who's struggled with mental health for approximately 40 of my 45 years on this planet, with god's alone know how many suicide attempts I failed at through the incompetence of youth. Yes, I was deeply shaken being asked to read aloud in class, but I could still joke and smile, and go to parties (which I hated, but did anyway).

Unless you know the individual concerned, dismissing their mental health concerns out of hand, especially on such absolute bullshit rationale, is far far worse than taking them at their word.

I am taking her at her word. She said she doesn't want to do press conferences because she doesn't like answering the same questions over and over again. To cite mental health to avoid doing so insults people with serious mental health issues. Like the examples you cited. Osaka did not say she was depressed, nor did she discuss anxiety and how that could affect her game. By her own account she just doesn't want to do them and reached for a poor justification not to do so in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well, next thing every player makes this claim and the result will be no more press conferences. Can’t have that, can we.

Goes back to my previous point. Would the tournament be any less entertaining, would anyone buy fewer products or would anyone not watch or attend if there was no press conferences? 

46 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Goes back to my previous point. Would the tournament be any less entertaining, would anyone buy fewer products or would anyone not watch or attend if there was no press conferences? 

Yes. Less press access results in fewer articles written, fewer reporters assigned to the beat, reduced interest and ultimately poorer marketing of the sport.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Yes. Less press access results in fewer articles written, fewer reporters assigned to the beat, reduced interest and ultimately poorer marketing of the sport.

I personally think that's nonsense. You think nobody will write about the tennis because the players didn't answer mundane questions during the tournament? I doubt even the press give a shite about the boring questions they have to ask and the boring answers they're given. 

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

By your logic the Kurt Cobain was in perfect mental health throughout his career and multiple suicide attempts. As was Robin Williams, aswasAmy Winehiuse as was (fill in hundreds of thousands of other examples here, famous and otherwise).

Agreed, 100%.

Archived