Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

Ok guys, I guess situation has just changed, after Naomi withdrew from the tournament and explicitly said she's suffering from depression since 2018.

In my book it closes the subject and proves she wasn't using mental health as an excuse only. 

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I'm definitely sympathetic to people addressing mental health in any field.  If someone says they are going through a mental health crisis, I will give anyone the benefit of the doubt, I don't need them to "prove" it.   She's said she's willing to pay the fines for not showing up, so to me that shows she is serious about this, and good for her taking mental health seriously. 

Given that the fines exist, I hardly think this is a "slippery slope" where most/all tennis players are going to just stop doing interviews. 

Given that RG organisers have mentioned the option of disqualifying her from the tournament and that other GS organisers have spoken on the subject of skipping media duties, I guess it's safe to say that rules of this tournament (or tournaments) do specify that disqualification is one of possible punishments for athletes not fulfilling their part of the bargain. I doubt they would mention that if rules weren't specific enough because that would leave them open for a major lawsuit. If rules do specify disqualification as the harshest punishment for this, then I'd say that disqualification would constitute "paying the fines".

2 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Ok guys, I guess situation has just changed, after Naomi withdrew from the tournament and explicitly said she's suffering from depression since 2018.

In my book it closes the subject and proves she wasn't using mental health as an excuse only. 

I wish her all the best in dealing with depression.

That being said, I still don't think she handled this situation well and neither did the organisers. Had they sat down and talked about it, they could've come up with some solution that would be acceptable to everyone involved. I mean, no matter how bad that potential solution would've been it certainly wouldn't have been as bad as having this whole PR mess, ending with Osaka losing a shot at a GS and tournament losing #2 seeded player which reduced the quality of the tournament overall.

It's sad to see her withdraw, and likewise I wish her the best and hope she has the time to address her bout with depression. I stand by my comments that she didn't handle this situation well though and could have avoided this result, but at the end of the day her getting to a good spot mentally is what's most important, and if this all ultimately leads to that then it was for the best. 

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Classy, real classy!

Not even slightly disgraceful to say to someone dealing with depressions and suicidal thoughts.

I've suffered from depression for most of my life, the root largely being my abusive father who suddenly died a few months ago. I got no resolution from our conflict and probably never will, which has only made the situation harder to deal with, but still, I move on, day after day. If you're truly suicidal though I can't recommend enough reaching out to a therapist.

Now to tie it back to the example at hand. Like I said earlier, Osaka could have just privately reached out to the tournament organizers and some members of the press and let them know what the situation was. I'm sure any decent person in the latter's shoes would have elected to give her the space she needed. However, she didn't do that, drew unneeded attention to the situation and admitted as much afterwards. I hope she finds some peace and can return to play soon, but more importantly, to a healthy and happy standard of living.

Sad as it is, Naomi Osaka withdrawing was probably the only way to cut the Gordian knot for this particular tournament and situation.

I hope that she gets the treatment and understanding that she needs. It was interesting she mentioned the 2018 US Open (where Serena pulled the rug out from under her and was at least partly responsible for Osaka crying at what should have been a joyous moment), though that might be more just about when she entered the spotlight rather than the circumstances of that infamous US Open final specifically.

Personally, I don't think Osaka helped herself with some of the earlier statements about not wanting to answer repetitive questions and not wanting to face people who doubt her. Mental health is a charged and polarising issue, and needs to be handled really carefully. As rigid as the French Open organisers were, Osaka herself made quite a few unforced errors (pardon the pun). However, she is only 23; and all of us (regardless of age) are allowed to make mistakes. I just hope she gets good advice (psychological, career, public relations) going forward.

While the issue isn't resolved in the long run, hopefully this does open the door to having proper discussions about what to do in future circumstances.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Sadly not too hopeful for Novak’s chances in the semi. Nadal is pretty much unbeatable on clay. Can Djokovic pull out a miracle performance to beat him? Would be an amazing achievement if he could, with so much at stake as well.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, 3CityApache said:

Don't see it happening. Perhaps he'll grab a set.

I, on the other hand, wonder if Tsitsipas will be able to put up a real fight against Rafa in the final.

These aged well :lol:

I tuned in at 5-3 for Djokovic in the third set. Nadal came back and even had a set point for that set. It was a great display from both players.

Djokovic had a bit of an easier time in the fourth but I wouldn't say Nadal really collapsed.

Full disclosure, I had some stuff to do around putting my daughter to sleep so I may have missed something.

Archived