Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

6 hours ago, Arakan said:

Possibly. Though when it comes to WTA I would be careful with the hype. The women’s game is very volatile. Since the 90s hey days only Serena Williams was a consistent winner (I exclude Sharapova due ti doping). Furthermore, both players are basically teenagers, too much hyping up (and it already happens) can have very negative effects. Didn‘t we learn nothing from Naomi Osaka? Same old same old. Only 2 years ago she was destined to be THE face of global women‘s tennis, the heiress to Serena…

Osaka is built so differently from Fernandez (again, I'm less familiar Raducanu). Fernandez was smack talking like a professional wrestler in post-match interviews early on in the tournament. With Osaka, one of things that didn't get mentioned enough is for most of her career the press hated interviewing her just as much as she hated being interviewed. Every journalist I've heard touch on the subject said when they'd ask her questions she just look down at the table and give one or two word responses. Fernandez embraces the attention and holds court, and I suspect Raducanu is more like that than. I expect after some early nerves for both players to come out firing away.

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

Also, I don't think Sharapova was all that successful outside of getting a couple of grand slams at a young age, doping or not. 

Wait, was this a thing?

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Zverev isn't going to be able to sleep tonight. He should have won that in four sets, but he kept making mistakes when he had several breakpoint opportunities. And then Joker just whipped his ass in the fifth. 

ETA: They just flashed a graphic of players W-L records vs. Joker since 2017. Was kinda shocked to see Nadal has a winning record, even if it's just 5-4.

How many times have we seen this from Novak’s opponents in crucial matches though? Federer lost at least two Grand Slam Finals/ Semis against Novak after being match point up.

Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev - they’ve all cracked against him when the stakes are highest, after being on their way to victory. Novak just has a quality that makes opponents whither mentally when it really matters.

Regarding Novak-Nadal since 2017, let’s also see it in context.

Matches between them since 2017:

Clay - 6 (Nadal 5-1)

Grass - 1 (Novak 1-0)

Hard courts - 2 (Novak 2-0)

More significantly - Grand slam matches (best out of five sets) - 4: 

Clay - 2 (Nadal 1, Novak 1)

Grass - 1 (Novak 1-0)

Hard courts - 1 (Novak 1-0)

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Iirc she tested positive for something about a month afrer it was made illegal. 

Oh that seemed like some ticky tac BS. She was on a drug for a long time when it was approved and then got nailed for it after it was banned. I'm not going to get too bothered over that.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

How many times have we seen this from Novak’s opponents in crucial matches though? Federer lost at least two Grand Slam Finals/ Semis against Novak after being match point up.

Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev - they’ve all cracked against him when the stakes are highest, after being on their way to victory. Novak just has a quality that makes opponents whither mentally when it really matters.

Novak is a defensive sentinel. He rarely makes mistakes, has the best return ever and waits you out. I wish he would be more aggressive because he easily could be, but hey, can't complain about the results.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ooooh! I knew they made it to the semis, but I don’t follow tennis at all. That’s a real wow!

Boo-urns!

This game has lasted longer than Purple Rain, and I say that because I'm jamming out to it.

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

Huzzah!

Tha was an absolutely brilliant first set. Both players hitting the ball so cleanly, and aggressively, both showing an ability to come back from behind.

It's rather amazing how these small players are just smashing the ball, and have been all tournament.

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Drama, just what we needed, as the match was so boring before.

Fernandez not happy, but no-one has a choice about it. Blood is a health hazard. Full stop.

Match has to stop, but I get why she was mad. It literally took just a few moments to get the bleeding to stop and bandaged up. It was a tiny cut. Then she sat there for a minute or two and the trainer was literally cleaning her sweat off well after she was taken care of. 

Fan-bloody-tastic.

What a match, and a well deserved win, slightly reminiscent of a young Federer (obviously not the same level) in that you think she's playing to her absolute maximum, and then she hit 4 games where she just accelerates away from her previous form.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

I suspect we're going to see a lot more of those two in finals in the future. A great victory for Raducanu, it has been a meteoric rise from being virtually unknown at the start of the summer to winning the US Open without dropping a set.

Agreed. Bummed out F.A.A. didn't make it through to the Final. If someone has to lose to Novak at least he could have learned something in the process. 

Archived