Sign in to follow this  
Jeor

Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

It may not be fair to say Tsitsipas choked, but he did.

Hats off to Novak for never giving up, hence why he's the cyborg. 

On 6/12/2021 at 8:14 PM, BigFatCoward said:

He has won about 16 grand slams since Federer turned 30.  They never competed against each other at their best. 

Since when is 30 old in modern sports? Also, if we're to diminish GS title won after Federer turned 30, why not do the same with the titles Federer's won before Nadal and Djokovic came into their prime? Even if we do agree to consider age of 30 as some point break, Federer still managed  to win 4 (in almost 10 years), Nadal won 6 (in 5 years) and Djokovic won 7 (in 4 years).

Fact is that they have an overlap of almost 15 seasons at the very top of men's tennis and each of them had a period when they were the best. That doesn't mean that any single period should be dismissed as less important when talking about who is the greatest of all time.

11 minutes ago, baxus said:

Since when is 30 old in modern sports? Also, if we're to diminish GS title won after Federer turned 30, why not do the same with the titles Federer's won before Nadal and Djokovic came into their prime? Even if we do agree to consider age of 30 as some point break, Federer still managed  to win 4 (in almost 10 years), Nadal won 6 (in 5 years) and Djokovic won 7 (in 4 years).

Fact is that they have an overlap of almost 15 seasons at the very top of men's tennis and each of them had a period when they were the best. That doesn't mean that any single period should be dismissed as less important when talking about who is the greatest of all time.

So in my view Novak has a reasonable shot at ending on 24/25 - thus achieving the undisputed Grand Slam lead among both men and women. Rafa can probably reach 22. Federer will not win another major title, and will end on 20.

There is no way to dispute the GOAT status if that’s the final tally.

That's speculation. We'll have to wait for the three of them to retire and talk about it then.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, baxus said:

That's speculation. We'll have to wait for the three of them to retire and talk about it then.

:blink: Of course it is speculation. It is a forecast of potential future occurrences, so by default cannot be factual. Any one of them could get a career ending injury tomorrow.

That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it, or try and reasonably extrapolate the most likely outcome.

The most likely outcome at this point is that more major titles are a bridge too far for Federer, that Nadal will still be the favourite at Roland Garros for the next couple of years and that Djokovic will be a strong contender at all four majors for the next two to three years - winning some and losing some.

Edited by Free Northman Reborn

Hail Djokovic

As for that Osaka issue, shame on the bullies. 

Rarely watch tennis, cricket and football, shrug, but eventful month 

Nadal and Osaka have now pulled out of Wimbledon, with Nadal also saying he won't play at the Olympics. 

Federer is now preparing to return to the circuit after two knee surgeries. "Maybe it wasn't so bad for me that the Olympics were postponed," said Federer, who wants to return to the Australian Open. I went to a match of his and I was next to him, I kindly asked him to give me an autograph of his and he told me that he can't do it now, but he told me to leave the name and details I will send one. I had received a message from him that he had sent the package by express pursuit and I could see where it was with CNE express tracking. You have to try, I think it's beautiful.

The courts look so beautiful on first couple of days. 

I have zero interest in the inevitable djokovik coronation. 

I turned on the coverage yesterday when Andy Murray was I think 3-0 in the third set having won the first two. It was a weird match, his opponent looked like he had given up until he got to 5-0 down then won the next 7 games to take the set. Murray then seemed to remember how to play and won the fourth set. It's good to see Murray back at Wimbledon given all the injury troubles he's had in recent years.

Was worried Feds might blow that one, but he marches on. And man is he fucking charming on the mic.

I really didn't see what happened to Fed yesterday coming. He has never lost a set in Wimbledon to love in his entire career, and haven't lost a match in straight sets here since 2002. Federer clearly wasn't himself (the way he slipped before an easy volley in tie-break for example), but Hurkacz surprised me with his consistency and maturity. I know he can serve deadly and move incredibly on court, just didn't expect him to do it for the entire match against his teenage idol. I feel like a certain era has just ended. I really doubt Fed will ever be back on SW19 and it makes me sad. And now I have to wonder if HuHu will be able to maintain this level of mental and physical composure in the next match, or maybe even (a wild thought) another two.

So Joker is now level with Feds and Nadal. Well deserved.