Tennis Volume 8: Is a FedEx delivery coming?

Jeor

On 9/3/2021 at 2:32 PM, Tywin et al. said:

You can ban phones, have their bags searched before the match, and bringing one in is an automatic DQ. It's that simple if you think it's a real problem.

Phones may not explicitly be banned but coaching still is, whether by texting, hand signals, coach turning his baseball cap this way or that or whichever way someone might think of.

Having players bags searched is crossing multiple lines, and I don't think ATP or WTA are ready to cross them or even that they should. It would be better to make a list of allowed items one could take to the bathroom (towel, shirt, shorts and stuff like that), but that would also have to be enforced which could be a pain for everyone involved.

Tennis has this tradition of "gentlemanly" and "ladylike" conduct, and relies a lot on players behaving accordingly. There aren't really that well developed mechanisms to dealing with those who break those rules, from Serena yelling at the umpire, players like Kyrgios and Fonini and their antics or whatever. Even off the court behaviour that deviates from the "standard" (for example, Osaka's refusal to talk to media) is handled poorly.

35 minutes ago, baxus said:

Phones may not explicitly be banned but coaching still is, whether by texting, hand signals, coach turning his baseball cap this way or that or whichever way someone might think of.

Distinctions without a difference, mate. 

Having players bags searched is crossing multiple lines, and I don't think ATP or WTA are ready to cross them or even that they should. It would be better to make a list of allowed items one could take to the bathroom (towel, shirt, shorts and stuff like that), but that would also have to be enforced which could be a pain for everyone involved.

No, it's not crossing multiple lines and is very common in sports. Players' equipment is checked all the time. And Osaka showed last night you can leave the court without your bag and hit up the bathroom just off the court. She also probably needed a minute to gather herself after melting down in the second set more so than needing to go to the bathroom, but she was in and out. 

Tennis has this tradition of "gentlemanly" and "ladylike" conduct, and relies a lot on players behaving accordingly. There aren't really that well developed mechanisms to dealing with those who break those rules, from Serena yelling at the umpire, players like Kyrgios and Fonini and their antics or whatever. Even off the court behaviour that deviates from the "standard" (for example, Osaka's refusal to talk to media) is handled poorly.

And relying on traditions here in the US allowed Trump to nearly become a dictator, hence why traditions need to be written down in strict law. 

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Novak marches on. Things only getting tougher from here. Can he do it? Can he reach tennis immortality? He needs to win three more matches to make it happen this year.

This should be the biggest story in tennis. Everything else is a sideshow.

Not really. He's cleaning up against a depleted field. 

4 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Novak marches on. Things only getting tougher from here. Can he do it? Can he reach tennis immortality? He needs to win three more matches to make it happen this year.

Hasn't he already reached tennis immortality long time ago?

19 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Yes, but now he can stop people from mentioning Nadal and Federer in the same  breath as him. He will finally leave them behind. Hopefully.

Nadal and Federer will always be mentioned in the same breath as him. The whole reason they are all as great as they are is the rivalry between them. You can't separate either one of them from the other two.

I do hope Djokovic does manage to surpass both of them and becomes universally acclaimed as a clear GOAT after they all retire, but none of the three will have a legacy separate from the other two.

41 minutes ago, baxus said:

Nadal and Federer will always be mentioned in the same breath as him. The whole reason they are all as great as they are is the rivalry between them. You can't separate either one of them from the other two.

I do hope Djokovic does manage to surpass both of them and becomes universally acclaimed as a clear GOAT after they all retire, but none of the three will have a legacy separate from the other two.

Well, the conversation changes if he gets to 23 or 24 Grand Slams in the end. Then he becomes the Sampras to their Aggassi, Connors or Borg.

With an undeniable gulf between No.1 and the two contenders in the chasing pack.

42 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Well, the conversation changes if he gets to 23 or 24 Grand Slams in the end. Then he becomes the Sampras to their Aggassi, Connors or Borg.

With an undeniable gulf between No.1 and the two contenders in the chasing pack.

I'd bet on Nadal, if injury free, winning at least 2 more at RG. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'd bet on Nadal, if injury free, winning at least 2 more at RG. 

Possible. But getting more difficult for him every year. He is not at his peak anymore, and the question is whether his maximum level on clay has now dropped below that of Djokovic, which was never far below Nadal’s peak in the first place. 

And that’s ignoring the ever improving young guns. Time is running out for all the old guard - including Novak.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Unfortunately, I think that Federer and Nadal being injury free is a thing of the past.

This was true five years ago. Maybe even further back than that, 

Look, the thing that will always be held against Joker is that when Feds and Nadal were in their primes they kicked his ass. But Feds got old and Nadal broke down while Joker stayed relatively healthy and he benefited from not having any successors. And if I'm being cynical I could argue that if there were two clay court slams instead of hard court slams Nadal would be running away with this, likewise if there were two grass court slams for Feds. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This was true five years ago. Maybe even further back than that, 

Look, the thing that will always be held against Joker is that when Feds and Nadal were in their primes they kicked his ass. But Feds got old and Nadal broke down while Joker stayed relatively healthy and he benefited from not having any successors. And if I'm being cynical I could argue that if there were two clay court slams instead of hard court slams Nadal would be running away with this, likewise if there were two grass court slams for Feds. 

That is of course nonsense. Djokovic only entered his prime in 2011, peaking in 2015. Since 2011 he has dominated both of them. And before that, when they used to regularly beat him, it was because they were in their primes while he was not yet.

The overlap period when all three were at their peaks was arguably 2011-2015 and during this period Djokovic dominated (as he continues to do to this day).

6 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

That is of course nonsense. Djokovic only entered his prime in 2011, peaking in 2015. Since 2011 he has dominated both of them. And before that, when they used to regularly beat him, it was because they were in their primes while he was not yet.

The overlap period when all three were at their peaks was arguably 2011-2015 and during this period Djokovic dominated.

Novak is less than a year younger than Nadal and the latter had nine GS titles under his belt before Novak got his second. And Feds had 16. During that period Feds and Nadal were at their best and they dragged him with ease. Both guys began falling off in the 2010s and that plays a huge role in why that's when Novak began to break out. It was only after their best punches were largely gone. You'd have an argument if he was several years younger than Nadal, but that isn't the case. Joker simply could not hang with either guy when they were in their primes. 

Even though Djoko is my least favourite I think his peak is possibly the highest. But I do think there is a clear argument that he won a lot when the others were in decline. Nadal in particular had to deal with the other 2 at their best.

Djoko also massively benefitted from Murray, who was emerging as his main rival, getting broken when he was coming into his peak. 

Archived