Sign in to follow this  
HydroKnight

Catelyn

I can' tbe the only one that thinks her chapters are a little on the boring side right? I'm on book 3 and still thoroughly uninterested in what shes going through. Anyone else? 

2 hours ago, HydroKnight said:

I can' tbe the only one that thinks her chapters are a little on the boring side right? I'm on book 3 and still thoroughly uninterested in what shes going through. Anyone else? 

Catelyn's are the interesting chapters of the Starks.  I much prefer hers to Jon's and Arya's boring chapters.  Action is not the selling points of a Catelyn chapter.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea.

17 hours ago, 867-5309 said:

Catelyn's are the interesting chapters of the Starks.  I much prefer hers to Jon's and Arya's boring chapters.  Action is not the selling points of a Catelyn chapter.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I remember reading them. God, I anticipated her chapters more than any other Stark chapter.

Catelyn is such a great character. I don't understand why some people hate her. 

1 hour ago, Blooddragon said:

I remember reading them. God, I anticipated her chapters more than any other Stark chapter.

Catelyn is such a great character. I don't understand why some people hate her. 

One reason I think she’s disliked because she said Jon should have been pushed out a window by an incestuous Kingslayer. For many, that’s a Moral Event Horizon. Other times, she makes genuinely stupid decisions like arresting Tyrion and releasing Jaime; what person would arm an assassin with such a conspicuous item like a Valyrian Steel dagger, and Tywin likely would not have tried something like the Red Wedding with Jaime in danger of retaliation, and it led to Robb executing Rickard Karstark, requiring the Freys (also led to Red Wedding).

Great characters have flaws, and Catelyn is a great character. She’s a strong mother figure who gets emotional at times but who also provides good advice on several occasions. The big selling point of Catelyn’s chapters are her insight with other characters. She interacts with a LOT of different people in the series, and she sets a lot in motion.

And those people who gripe about Catelyn’s release of Jaime forget that if she hadn’t done that, he wouldn’t have undergone his redemption arc.

I think Cat's chapters provide a good balance between advancing the plot and revealing the backstory. She was in the thick of the momentous events that began the Wot5K and the loss of the KotN, and if you looked closely, you would have seen the clues to who really killed Jon Arryn and how Robb "just happened" to fall in love with Jeyne and lose his kingdom (which has yet to be fully revealed).

On 7/13/2019 at 3:37 PM, 867-5309 said:

I suppose its one of the reasons GRRM really hated writing the red wedding. He said it was really tough for him. For some reason I read he chapters and get lost in thinking about whats happening with everyone else. I don't have a connection with her like I do with literally every other character is all...

Cat is a thoroughly written character.  We are told from the very beginning of the GOT what makes her tick.  Cat and Jon their stories are mirror images of the other.  Both of them chose to save the Stark girls even though they knew it would cause trouble for a lot of people.  1a.-Cat betrayed Robb and the North for her daughters.  2a.-She released the North's most valued POW to get back two daughters.  1b.-Jon betrayed the Nightswatch and the entire Westeros for his sister.  2b.-He released the worst Nightswatchman to ever wear the black to get his sister away from her hubby.  3a.-Cat was not given a dignified death.  3b.-Jon isn't going to get a dignified death either.  4a.-Cat is the fire raised wight.  4b.-Jon will be the ice raised wight.

Cat is an extremely well-written, and terribly tragic, character.  And she has the worst fate of any major character in the books -  she isn't even allowed to die, but kept in a hideous mockery of life. 

Catelyn is first and foremost a mother. Her motivations stem entirely from her desire to protect her children. So I do understand why some readers simply don't get along with her. She can be difficult to like as she's not trying to win a war or steal a dragon or fight the 'others'. She's a tragic figure. And as human as they come. She made mistakes (what character hasn't?) and paid dearly for them. 

That isn't something readers think they're signing up for with a fantasy novel. But her part in the story is a massive one and I don't think it's too difficult to empathise with her. Once you get over the frustration of her poor decision making and treat her like the flawed human being that she is, it's all very forgivable. 

That being said, I think her chapters are great. Her defence of comatose Bran, her abduction of Tyrion, her time at RR, her meeting with Renly and Stannis. Her conversation(s) with Jaime... She has a huge impact on the story and through her we learn a lot about how the North is viewed as well as a bit of history on the 7K.