The appearance of The Others

miyuki

On 8/2/2019 at 4:19 PM, TheThreeEyedCow said:

Of all the adjectives used to describe the 'Others', it's the word 'beautiful' that sticks with me.

Pale, translucent skin (that cannot bare sunlight) with blue veins visible beneath. I also imagine them to have a pearl effect to their blue armour. What stands out most of all is their burning blue eyes. Like when you have the air-hole fully open on a Bunsen burner. I think they're actually very delicate creatures.

I no longer think the Others are evil

On 8/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, Destiny Arrives said:

It has to be Bran 

If it is Bran, he can't do it remotely from the cave. He has to have a personal, physical encounter with them.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:14 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

I suspect we are going to learn quite a bit about their culture, origins and motives before long.

I just can't decide who will be our POV lens into the origins and nature of the Others? Will it be Bran? Or will it be Jon? Melisandre maybe?

Most likely Bran. He may seem like a too obvious choice, but it will most likely be Bran.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:02 AM, miyuki said:

Most likely Bran. He may seem like a too obvious choice, but it will most likely be Bran.

I would agree.

But then I have to wonder what's the point of Melisandre being stationed at the Wall. And then what is Jon going to do if he is stuck in Ghost's body for a while...

I always imagine them as pale, gaunt tall warriors, with a translucency and almost ethereal aura, and I always imagine them bringing ice and cold wind with them (which may or may not be a result of them coming, or needed for them to arrive). I also feel that their armor constantly shifts and changes colors by catching the light. 

This was written by Tommy Patterson the artist who drew the comic book version

I had many talks with George. He told me of the ice swords, and the reflective, camouflaging armor that picks up the images of the things around it like a clear, still pond. He spoke a lot about what they were not, but what they were was harder to put into words. Here is what George said, in one e-mail: 'The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.”

On 8/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

I suspect we are going to learn quite a bit about their culture, origins and motives before long.

GRRM did say in 2012: “(We’ll learn more about their) history, certainly, but I don’t know about culture,” he said. “I don’t know if they have a culture.”

The reference to culture, although a direct response to an interview question, is significant because if they don't have a culture of their very own, whose culture do they have?

After all, he also said that when Sam pinked Ser Puddles "he broke the spell holding him together." 

2 hours ago, Black Crow said:

GRRM did say in 2012: “(We’ll learn more about their) history, certainly, but I don’t know about culture,” he said. “I don’t know if they have a culture.”

The reference to culture, although a direct response to an interview question, is significant because if they don't have a culture of their very own, whose culture do they have?

After all, he also said that when Sam pinked Ser Puddles "he broke the spell holding him together." 

In the show White Walkers are a weapon made by the children of the forest to attack the first men. A bio-weapon of sorts that got out of hand. Correct me if I am mistaken, season 6 was 3 years ago and by season 6 I only watched the show ironically.

However, in the books, the Others and Long Night appeared after the first men and children had made peace already.  So the Others can't be bio weapons against humans, right?

"he broke the spell holding him together." Whose spell might that be then? It can't be the children.

Archived