U.S. Politics: Pedophilia is Just Acosta Doin' Business

Jace, Extat

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

In the US, as far as I can tell, the idea of achieving fairness in society has just been totally abandoned.

I mean, you touch it with a needle. So what is it that you're not getting here?

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, the Senate will never pass the increase, it's a joke!

It's a good signal marker though. Creating an unmistakable contrast between Democrats and Republicans is the best thing to do at this point since nothing liberal will survive the Senate, assuming it even gets a vote.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That's a load of bullshit too. Raise the minimum wage and people can buy things. Henry Ford paid his workers enough to be able to buy a car.

It's almost like you're saying that trickle down economics isn't a good idea. You contrarian you! Conform! Buy stuff! Obey!!!

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fuck yes I know what it takes to run a small business, my dad ran his own company, my mom ran her business and I have run different businesses in my life. If you can't pay a living wage, don't hire employees, do your own damn work. The US moves further and further into bigger disparities in income because politicians cater to the rich, and the rich always want more money. Screw the workers. Income tax is used in countries around the world to narrow those disparities, to make society more equal. In the US, as far as I can tell, the idea of achieving fairness in society has just been totally abandoned.

Then show some understanding. Because I've given you some very real examples of the costs that face real small business in this country and you give me Henry Ford with a novel product in a time with limited regulation, limited insurance, limited benefits and competition that isn't disrupted by globalization. Then you tell me businesses should just get out of business if they can't pay a living wage (which also ignores a living wage is different across the country), which again, is a great novel idea, except for the fact that's not reality in this nation. So well done on your parents, well done Canada business environment, D- for arguing your point.

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

There's a CBO analysis of the proposed minimum wage increase that people can read over here. I found it quite educational!  Then again, reading policy stuff like this is basically my favourite thing to do.

For those that prefer to listen rather than read, NPR has your back:

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/07/11/weighing-larger-costs-15-dollar-minimum-wage

TLDR: Over 20 million people will benefit while around a million people will lose their jobs. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2019/07/11/weighing-larger-costs-15-dollar-minimum-wage

TLDR: Over 20 million people will benefit while around a million people will lose their jobs. 

There was also a Krugman thread that speaks to the strengths/ limitations of the report, I think he called out the job loss effects as being a little out of proportion ( if I remember correctly)

Edit: Found it!

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

The burden is on Democrats to shrink that second number further. It's not fair, it's political reality.

I mean, shit. Really what we need is to reconstitute anti-monopolistic laws and fucking enforce them. Wal-Mart should have to pay local and federal fines for every business that fails when they move into a locality. Retroactively too, as far as I'm concerned. I know the constitution forbids criminal conviction in such cases, but... there it is.

And none of that matters because the Supreme Court will overturn anything Democrats do to try and stem the tide of inequality. Including a $15 minimum wage I imagine. Apply whatever legal or non-legal justification you want.

1 minute ago, a good and nice guy said:

hey remember when seattle raised the minimum wage and right wingers were saying how it would tank the economy and cost all sorts of jobs and that, basically didnt happen at all? 

I'm less interested in a major metropolitan area that is driven by significantly more large corporations and more interested in a county in Connecticut or Indiana that survives entirely on small businesses.

15 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Personally, I think the way forward is to transfer the burden for things like insurance costs away from the employer (with things like medicare-for-all) to free up more cash to be mandated towards the employees.

This, 100%. 

Just now, Mexal said:

I'm less interested in a major metropolitan area that is driven by significantly more large corporations and more interested in a county in Connecticut or Indiana that survives entirely on small businesses.

but thats just the thing; all that doom and gloom they got wrong was focused on things like resteraunts, bars, and other small businesses that traditionally employ low paid workers, and they actually saw a large net gain in both sales and employment. 
but even still, assuming the cbo has it right (and i for one think they are being overly conservative) this would postively impact more than 10 persons for every one that might lose a job on a week to week basis. 

17 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Then show some understanding. Because I've given you some very real examples of the costs that face real small business in this country and you give me Henry Ford with a novel product in a time with limited regulation, limited insurance, limited benefits and competition that isn't disrupted by globalization. Then you tell me businesses should just get out of business if they can't pay a living wage (which also ignores a living wage is different across the country), which again, is a great novel idea, except for the fact that's not reality in this nation. So well done on your parents, well done Canada business environment, D- for arguing your point.

My God you people are snowflakes. The US is a capitalist country. If you can’t compete you get out of the business you’re in. D- for saying people should be paid a living wage! Un-friggin believable!

I sincerely hope no one has used the self-order kiosks in some fast-food restaurants, or the self-checkout lines at the grocery store.   To do so is to deprive a minimum wage worker of even the few bucks they currently take home now.  

4 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

but thats just the thing; all that doom and gloom they got wrong was focused on things like resteraunts, bars, and other small businesses that traditionally employ low paid workers, and they actually saw a large net gain in both sales and employment. 
but even still, assuming the cbo has it right (and i for one think they are being overly conservative) this would postively impact more than 10 persons for every one that might lose a job on a week to week basis. 

In a major metropolitan area with a strong supply of buyers who are able to afford a rise in prices. Anyway, I sometimes forget the greater good and as Fragile Bird says, we have a capitalist society so if the government dictates mandatory cost increases, either sell more or get the fuck out of business (true capitalism at its finest). 

1 minute ago, Tears of Lys said:

I sincerely hope no one has used the self-order kiosks in some fast-food restaurants, or the self-checkout lines at the grocery store.   To do so is to deprive a minimum wage worker of even the few bucks they currently take home now.  

counter point: plu 4011 ;)

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

In a major metropolitan area with a strong supply of buyers who are able to afford a rise in prices. Anyway, I sometimes forget the greater good and as Fragile Bird says, we have a capitalist society so if the government dictates mandatory cost increases, either sell more or get the fuck out of business (true capitalism at its finest). 

yeah man, just fuck the poor people that actually make any of these business run. they should be glad to be waiting tables or stacking pallets instead of being ground into livestock feed like they deserve

Just now, a good and nice guy said:

yeah man, just fuck the poor people that actually make any of these business run. they should be glad to be waiting tables or stacking pallets instead of being ground into livestock feed like they deserve

Not what I said or the point I was making. If small businesses close in places outside of major metropolitan cities, then they will be looking for work elsewhere (i.e., cities) and in this country with our political system, that will continue to mean the minority has a very strong ability to rule the majority.

5 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Just being honest, I use those every time I can. Not my job to waste time letting a cashier move like molasses when scanning/bagging my goods. And I don't mean to be insulting to the cashier folks. They hate their fucking jobs, I get it, but that's my fact on the opinion.

Although the grocer I use now doesn't even have the option, much to my obvious chagrin.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Oh, so you're saying the greatest of America lies in underpaying it's working class, is that right? 

Archived