U.S. Politics: Pedophilia is Just Acosta Doin' Business

Jace, Extat

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

@Maithanet couldn't have said the first graph better myself.  As for a ticket with Bullock at the top though, now you're just getting high in Colorado.

Maith lives in D.C. He’s obviously micro-dosing.

32 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

The fact there is a rule that does not permit people to call a sitting president a racist on the floor is fucking ridiculous and is another example of how much of a white supremacist nation this is.

What rule says you cannot call a sitting President a racist?  Trump’s a racist.  

Oh look, Bernie Sanders is a scab that is okay using amazon owned products while their workers are on strike, essentially crossing the picket line when the calls for solidarity ask people not to support amazon by using their products during the strike. He’s such a performative piece of garbage. 

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What rule says you cannot call a sitting President a racist?  Trump’s a racist.  

There a rule for the floor. Pelosi called him a racist on the floor and there is s specific rule about not being able to do so. It was written in 2016 / 2017 I believe. McCarthy is whining about it on twitter right now. 

15 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

There a rule for the floor. Pelosi called him a racist on the floor and there is s specific rule about not being able to do so. It was written in 2016 / 2017 I believe. McCarthy is whining about it on twitter right now. 

I could be mistaken, but it's probably just a general decorum rule. You can't directly insult people, or at least you can and then they'll object and have it removed from the record. Congress is fairly litigious and boring unless you live for this stuff. 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah my point was I don't think Bullock nor Bennet has a shot in hell

I know, just going for the crappy joke. It is a shame though that Bullock was not on the stage. Like it was said, a Bullock-Harris ticket would be incredibly strong. 

Okay, super random question, only loosely associated to politics r.e. HIPAA, but I know there are a lot of lawyers and policy pros here (especially you @Fez, since your sort of work in this field), and I really have no where else to put it and the Googles ain't helping me out.

Under HIPAA, or any adjacent laws and legislation, is it legal for a medical provider to directly bill a minor under the age of 18?

Lawyer team, assemble! 

DOJ will not bring charges against officer in death of Eric Garner

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2019/07/16/doj-will-not-bring-charges-against-officer-in-death-of-eric-garner-1103711

Federal prosecutors announced Tuesday that the Department of Justice will not bring criminal civil rights charges against the police officer accused of killing Eric Garner, a Staten Island man whose death five years ago sparked nationwide outrage and helped fuel the Black Lives Matter movement.

The decision by prosecutors in Brooklyn means that Daniel Pantaleo will never face criminal prosecution for Garner’s death in an apparent chokehold.

Federal prosecutors broke the news to Garner’s devastated family in a meeting at the U.S. attorney’s office shortly before announcing their decision publicly.

“This is an outrage, an insult to injury. You killed my son,” Gwen Carr, Garner’s mother, said outside the U.S. attorney's office after meeting with officials . “Five years ago my son said, ‘I can’t breathe’ 11 times. And today we can’t breathe because they have let us down.”

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

I honestly have no idea what this about, but no, there is no rule.  You can call anyone anything on the floor.  It's just kinda silly to say there's a rule.

ETA:  K, so looked into it.  There's this:

Escalating tensions on Capitol Hill erupted into a floor fight in the House of Representatives on Tuesday afternoon, as Speaker Nancy Pelosi spoke in favor of a resolution condemning "racist" comments by President Trump -- and Pelosi's words were eventually ruled out of order by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, a Democrat, affirming a decision from the House parliamentarian.

"The words used by the gentlewoman from California contained an accusation of racist behavior on the part of the President,” Hoyer said, in a decision that technically banned Pelosi from speaking on the House floor for a brief period of time. “The words should not be used in debate.”

Pelosi and Hoyer are gaming the floor.  That's a bunch of horseshit.

As per usual DMC is wrong or at least not fully informed

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/16/20696932/nancy-pelosi-trump-tweet-racist-chaoshttps://www.vox.com/2019/7/16/20696932/nancy-pelosi-trump-tweet-racist-chaosEve

Evidently then, one cannot name the president a racist or anything else, only 'his rhetoric' can be called racist.  The rethugs weren't having that either. So, chaos. But it ain't going away.

Blame Thomas Jefferson for the obscure parliamentary procedure behind all this
The crux of this fight is a line in House parliamentary procedure that “personal abuse, innuendo, or ridicule of the President is not permitted.”

But in the meantime, Jews Against ICE, along with the immigrant justice group Movimiento Cosecha, shut down the ICE headquarters in D.C.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/immigrant-rights-activists-surround-ice-headquarters-demand-agency-s-closure-n1030456

Sorry for the double post, but, like, seriously?  You're the fucking Speaker of the goddamn House of Representatives and you're gonna act like your number 2 can shut you down on the floor because..you said mean things?  What an absurd load.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Okay, super random question, only loosely associated to politics r.e. HIPAA, but I know there are a lot of lawyers and policy pros here (especially you @Fez, since your sort of work in this field), and I really have no where else to put it and the Googles ain't helping me out.

Under HIPAA, or any adjacent laws and legislation, is it legal for a medical provider to directly bill a minor under the age of 18?

Lawyer team, assemble! 

Well, I'd love to help, but that's getting a bit far afield from the work I do. My gut is that a minor can't be billed directly because if they have insurance they're almost certainly an enrollee on someone else's plan (and its the primary subscriber who is responsible for cost-sharing) and if they don't have insurance I'd think any provider would've required the parents/guardians to sign some sort of financial responsibility agreement since minors can't contract for services. If the parents/guardians skipped out on the bill, I don't think the minor could be held responsible even after they turn 18.

But that's mostly just a guess on my part. 

Dunno if this stuff got posted but Trump's new asylum rule from was released a few days ago by the DOJ 

Here's the UNHCR statement on said rule

"UNHCR believes the rule excessively curtails the right to apply for asylum, jeopardizes the right to protection from refoulement, significantly raises the burden of proof on asylum seekers beyond the international legal standard, sharply curtails basic rights and freedoms of those who manage to meet it, and is not in line with international obligations.

And the ACLU as well as a couple of migrant advocacy groups in DC are already challenging the new rule in court.

The rule is supposed to go into place from today. This stuff moves so fast - the ACLU filing has fairly decent background on this stuff ( as well as the specific legal issues at play, obvs)

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

I did not know that.  What a load of crap.

This is how you do it:

https://www.etonline.com/bad-bunny-urges-fans-to-protest-puerto-rican-governor-ricardo-rossello

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/How-Ricky-Martin-Bad-Bunny-and-Lin-Manuel-Miranda-Got-Caught-Up-in-Puerto-Ricos-Gov-Ricardo-Rossello-Leaked-Chat-Scandal-512754181.html

He's cutting his European tour short, and flying back to PR to be part the continuing protests.

Who has gotten their The Squad t-shirts?  Or -- ooops, that's too aggressive of people of color and will make white people feel bad, so no, don't get one.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

As per usual DMC is wrong or at least not fully informed

Wait, I didn't see your post.  How exactly am I wrong or Ill informed?  Cuz..things happened?  I'm entirely unclear on the matter.  Kinda seems, maybe, you just wanna denigrate me for your own use.

Anyway, came here to post, @Tywin et al., you have officially lost the bet.  It's done, Beto has qualified.

It’s a pretty standard rule in houses of legislative assembly that certain words are forbidden. A major one in Canada and the UK (I believe) is that you cannot call someone a liar. If you do you’ll get booted out. 

I assume the liar rule is the same in the US?

Archived