A clash of kings prologue, purple wedding foreshadowing

BigBoss1

Don’t t know if this has been noticed before but in the prologue of ACOK while maester cressen is touching the strangler the texts reads

“he touched one of the crystals lightly with the tip of his littlefinger” 

foreshadowing or im looking too much into it?

I bet there are a number of parallels between the Cressen prologue and Joffrey's wedding feast.

Cressen is made to wear the "helm" of the fool, Patchface. This is a bucket with antlers and bells. Baratheon Lords, including King Robert, wore antlered helms and Robert led one side of the fighting at the Battle of the Bells. Is Patchface a symbolic Robert or Steffon Baratheon? The Laughing Storm?

But the humiliating treatment of Cressen is similar to the humiliating treatment of Tyrion at Joffrey's wedding feast.

After the bucket is placed on Cressen's head, Lady Selyse encourages Cressen to "sing his counsel henceforth." Joffrey's poisoning and death occurs just as another singer takes the stage and Margaery tells Joffrey that a guest wants to propose a toast.

Cressen feels like a second father to Stannis. Joffrey has two fathers: the publicly acknowledged father, King Robert, and his biological father, Jaime Lannister.

In the Cressen prologue, he wants to put the poison directly into Melisandre's wine cup but he makes do with a cup close at hand, putting the poison into the wine cup used by Davos.

Do these details offer clues to the way that Joffrey was poisoned? The perpetrator, the motive, the method of delivery for the poison? Because Melisandre was the target but the attempt backfired, killing the poisoner, is it possible that Joffrey was the poisoner and not the intended target of the Strangler at his wedding feast? Was he trying to kill Tyrion, but fell victim to his own plot?

Or is Cressen's death after being "crowned" with the antler helm a symbolic version of King Robert's death? We suspect that wine was a contributing factor in Robert's death, as he drank stronger wine or wine containing poison before he went hunting.

Cressen keeps the poison in an indigo bottle. The color indigo is associated with House Mallister, and I suspect that they are symbolic kings or rulers of death, perhaps even grim reapers.

With regard to Littlefinger: there are other key places where GRRM refers to someone using their little finger. One is in the making of Sansa's snow castle, where she (or Baelish?) uses a little finger to make the window indentations on one of the towers. I believe another is when Dany is given an army of soldiers made out of semi-precious stones. Each warrior is the size of a finger. I don't know how these might relate to Cressen's use of his little finger to touch the poison, or to Petyr Baelish and his possible role in poisoning Joffrey.

Just now, Seams said:

With regard to Littlefinger: there are other key places where GRRM refers to someone using their little finger. One is in the making of Sansa's snow castle, where she (or Baelish?) uses a little finger to make the window indentations on one of the towers. I believe another is when Dany is given an army of soldiers made out of semi-precious stones. Each warrior is the size of a finger. I don't know how these might relate to Cressen's use of his little finger to touch the poison, or to Petyr Baelish and his possible role in poisoning Joffrey.

Here's another:

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

"You swore. The gods heard you swear."

"The gods did hear." There was a knife in his hand suddenly, its blade thin as her little finger. Whether it was meant for her or him, Arya could not say. "A girl will weep. A girl will lose her only friend."

Archived