Primetime Emmy Awards 2019 (THE AWARDS NIGHT - September, 22nd)

Mladen

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How does GoT win best drama during the golden era of TV when everyone agreed that it wasn’t any good this year? I mean, I know the Emmys and Oscars are popularity contests, but this seems egregious.

Oh, there are so many reasons why GoT keeps being awarded even though it is borderline universally disliked.

1. It's the biggest TV show. Simply, no one can match the audience of GoT. Or its popularity. The great TV dramas (and here I think of the mixture of quality and popularity) have all ended (Downton Abbey) or crashed (Orange is the New Black, House of Cards). The current darlings such as The Handmaid's Tale or This is Us are simply too divisive. GOT remains that one show the most people will agree it is good. We are entering the serious post-golden era moments and shows like Bodyguard, Pose or Succession, while being solid, simply can't measure to popular vote Game of Thrones had.

2. Look at the awards Game of Thrones won. It won, I think, 12 Emmys this year. 10 of those were at creative Emmys, 2 were last night. I suspected that directing and writing branches of Academy will ignore it, like they did last year, acting body gave nominations but no one expected them to go 4 out of 4 categories. The fact that Lena Headey couldn't have garnered support for an Emmy win in the last year speaks volumes about Academy's opinion of the show. So, how did it win? Simply, tech categories. Editors, Cinematographers, Special Effects etc. all of them will line for a show like Game of Thrones. And GoT was superb in its production. Simply, Game of Thrones sucked where is the most important, but not everywhere.

3. There is a reason why Meryl Streep gets 20 Oscar nominations, why Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet's movies are always considered for acting Oscars even before release. Same with Tarantino or Spielberg in directing. Look at Peter Dinklage winning 4th!!! Emmy. Simply, name-checking is always the factor. As I said, the show is the last of universally popular dramas of 2010s. Who has the time to watch everything when they have already watched Season 8 of Game of Thrones...

All in all, Headey went 0 out of 5 for Cersei. for two straight years, no directing and writing Emmys for Beniof and Weiss. Clarke and Harington were snubbed last year, this year they are only nominated, All of those were expected awards prior to Season 8, as a part of big good-bye for Thrones. Academy didn't do that so they did show how devastating the last season has been for Thrones image.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How does GoT win best drama during the golden era of TV when everyone agreed that it wasn’t any good this year? I mean, I know the Emmys and Oscars are popularity contests, but this seems egregious.

The golden age was the 00’s. It’s been over for some time now. Still a lot of really good tv, but it can’t compare to when it was The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Mad Men, etc. 

17 minutes ago, Risto said:

Oh, there are so many reasons why GoT keeps being awarded even though it is borderline universally disliked.

1. It's the biggest TV show. Simply, no one can match the audience of GoT. Or its popularity. The great TV dramas (and here I think of the mixture of quality and popularity) have all ended (Downton Abbey) or crashed (Orange is the New Black, House of Cards). The current darlings such as The Handmaid's Tale or This is Us are simply too divisive. GOT remains that one show the most people will agree it is good. We are entering the serious post-golden era moments and shows like Bodyguard, Pose or Succession, while being solid, simply can't measure to popular vote Game of Thrones had.

2. Look at the awards Game of Thrones won. It won, I think, 12 Emmys this year. 10 of those were at creative Emmys, 2 were last night. I suspected that directing and writing branches of Academy will ignore it, like they did last year, acting body gave nominations but no one expected them to go 4 out of 4 categories. The fact that Lena Headey couldn't have garnered support for an Emmy win in the last year speaks volumes about Academy's opinion of the show. So, how did it win? Simply, tech categories. Editors, Cinematographers, Special Effects etc. all of them will line for a show like Game of Thrones. And GoT was superb in its production. Simply, Game of Thrones sucked where is the most important, but not everywhere.

3. There is a reason why Meryl Streep gets 20 Oscar nominations, why Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet's movies are always considered for acting Oscars even before release. Same with Tarantino or Spielberg in directing. Look at Peter Dinklage winning 4th!!! Emmy. Simply, name-checking is always the factor. As I said, the show is the last of universally popular dramas of 2010s. Who has the time to watch everything when they have already watched Season 8 of Game of Thrones...

All in all, Headey went 0 out of 5 for Cersei. for two straight years, no directing and writing Emmys for Beniof and Weiss. Clarke and Harington were snubbed last year, this year they are only nominated, All of those were expected awards prior to Season 8, as a part of big good-bye for Thrones. Academy didn't do that so they did show how devastating the last season has been for Thrones image.

Agreed.

I expected GoT to win nearly everything it was nominated in,because nostalgia and "rewarding the entire body of work" and all that... but that was before Season 8 premiered and even the unsullied turned on it.

21 minutes ago, Risto said:

Simply, no one can match the audience of GoT. Or its popularity. The great TV dramas (and here I think of the mixture of quality and popularity) have all ended (Downton Abbey) or crashed (Orange is the New Black, House of Cards). The current darlings such as The Handmaid's Tale or This is Us are simply too divisive. GOT remains that one show the most people will agree it is good. We are entering the serious post-golden era moments and shows like Bodyguard, Pose or Succession, while being solid, simply can't measure to popular vote Game of Thrones had.

Remember an article from around when GoT ended describing it as the last bipartisan television show.  I'm not sure if that's true - or even entirely clear on what it means - but it feels accurate.

5 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Agreed.

I expected GoT to win nearly everything it was nominated in,because nostalgia and "rewarding the entire body of work" and all that... but that was before Season 8 premiered and even the unsullied turned on it.

I think the best barometer is Headey. The HBO's inability to put her up and front and make sure that she doesn't go empty bag after 8 seasons and 5 noms is outstanding. Last year, The Handmaid's Tale had similar situation, but THT ladies were going against Thandie Newton and Vanessa Kirby who killed in their respective shows. To lose against Julia Garner... I am sorry, but that is telling.

Not to mention that Gwen Cristie got the loudest applause during GoT cast presenting the Limited Series categories.

1 minute ago, Risto said:

I think the best barometer is Headey. The HBO's inability to put her up and front and make sure that she doesn't go empty bag after 8 seasons and 5 noms is outstanding. Last year, The Handmaid's Tale had similar situation, but THT ladies were going against Thandie Newton and Vanessa Kirby who killed in their respective shows. To lose against Julia Garner... I am sorry, but that is telling.

Not to mention that Gwen Cristie got the loudest applause during GoT cast presenting the Limited Series categories.

It  might have helped Heady's case for an Emmy if the show had given her more than a handful of lines the last two seasons.  She had no great scenes, no great speeches, no great moments, even her death was a disappointment and ended with a wimper.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

It  might have helped Heady's case for an Emmy if the show had given her more than a handful of lines the last two seasons.  She had no great scenes, no great speeches, no great moments, even her death was a disappointment and ended with a wimper.  

Certainly... I am not saying that Headey was robbed, as well, she didn't deserve it in the first place. But Emmys adore swan songs. Awarding someone at the end like Jon Hamm, Matthew Rhys or Claire Foy is their usual stint but simply, Headey had zero support for that. 

Just now, Risto said:

Certainly... I am not saying that Headey was robbed, as well, she didn't deserve it in the first place. But Emmys adore swan songs. Awarding someone at the end like Jon Hamm, Matthew Rhys or Claire Foy is their usual stint but simply, Headey had zero support for that. 

Yeah, but that is because her best work in the show was done years ago, several years ago.  But then, I could say the same of Dinklage, I can't even believe he got another Emmy, really, almost any of the other actors would have been a better more just choice than Dinklage again.

I do think that the show probably should have won best director, but for the episode they didn't nominate, The Bells. 

One thing is sure... I ADORE Best Lead Actress in Drama Series category. I can't remember when it made a mistake. I mean, last year we had Claire Foy, before that Elizabeth Moss for 1st season of "The Handmaid's Tale" then Tatiana Maslany for "Orphan Black" and before that Viola Davis and Margulies for Season 5 of "the Good Wife". This year, they again did the best thing. I mean, Comer is such an inspiring choice. Totally deserving.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I do think that the show probably should have won best director, but for the episode they didn't nominate, The Bells. 

I am not big fan of "The Bells". I would have nominated "A knight of the Seven Kingdoms" for both directing and writing. "The Bells" had that big battle, but at moments, it was a drag and repetitive with Arya almost getting killed.

3 minutes ago, Risto said:

I am not big fan of "The Bells". I would have nominated "A knight of the Seven Kingdoms" for both directing and writing. "The Bells" had that big battle, but at moments, it was a drag and repetitive with Arya almost getting killed.

The Bells was very cinematic, if they hadn't gone nutty over their obsession w/'natural lighting' and The Long Night wasn't too dark to see, it would probably have won. Honestly, the show didn't really deserve any nominations for writing in season 8, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Risto said:

I would have nominated "A knight of the Seven Kingdoms" for both directing and writing.

That was definitely the best episode of the season (granted somewhat by default and imho by far), so I would've for writing.  But directing?  You'd think one of the big-budget eps would have the best chance for that, no?

25 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The golden age was the 00’s. It’s been over for some time now. Still a lot of really good tv, but it can’t compare to when it was The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Mad Men, etc. 

Gomorrah is pretty great though. If they can keep up the quality of the first four seasons and stick the landing then I'd certainly consider Gomorrah to be better than Breaking Bad. The Leftovers should be up there as well. I enjoyed BB a lot but feel that once its popularity soared in season 4 and especially season 5, people started to overrate the show a bit. 

The fact that The Wire, one of the greatest shows ever made, never won a single Emmy (and only got a grand total of two nominations) shows that the Emmys have been a popularity contest joke for well over a decade. 

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The Bells was very cinematic, if they hadn't gone nutty over their obsession w/'natural lighting' and The Long Night wasn't too dark to see, it would probably have won. Honestly, the show didn't really deserve any nominations for writing in season 8, in my opinion.

Well, I would submit... Not nominate... HBO and DnD chose what to submit to Academy. But, I guess you are right.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

That was definitely the best episode of the season (granted somewhat by default and imho by far), so I would've for writing.  But directing?  You'd think one of the big-budget eps would have the best chance for that, no?

As a rule, yes. But they really overestimated the love for those episodes. I guess "A knight" would have had better chances...

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Is that if we exclude things like Netflix and other streaming services? 

52 minutes ago, Risto said:

I literally laughed out loud.

50 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The long night was too anticlimatic to win the best writing...

I won t argue about directing because with the amount of Money GOT has it can do things the other shows can only dream about...

Archived