What's for Dinner part 8.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Last thread was locked and buried.

Anyway.

Mashed potatoes Mediterranean Style (yes, it was vegan for you animal lovers).

Can you expand on what you mean by mashed potatoes Mediterranean style please? Do you mean you added certain spices, or veggies or something?

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Working late. Whatever fried, processed, greasy shit turns my stomach the least that is available on the local high street. 

Cheesy chips and gravy, surely?

My own delicacy tonight....spaghetti loops on toast. Seems we are all having one of those nights...

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Can you expand on what you mean by mashed potatoes Mediterranean style please? Do you mean you added certain spices, or veggies or something?

It's just what I have this receipe filed under.

Ingredients (again metrical system, if you want it imperial calculate it yourself).

1 kg Potatoes

50g pine nuts

100 ml Olive oil

4 Shallots

2-3 garlic gloves

100g dried tomatoes in oil (no idea if you know what I mean)

bunch of Basil

Salt and Pepper

1-2 tea-spoons of lemon juice. (personally I like to add some more but since I offer the barebone version you can finetune with the spices to your tastes).

1. peel the potatoes, and cook it in salted water. Peel the shallots and garlic. Slice the shallots into cubes, the garlic into into fine stripes. Clean the basil leafs and pat it dry. chop the tomatoes.

2. (dry! no oil) Roast the pine nuts. take them out of the fry pan (careful those buggers can turn black if you don't pay attention), and put them aside. Heat 2 table spoons of the oilve oil, put the shallots and garlic in, get them transluscent. Add the remaining oil to heat it up a bit.

3. Drain the potatoes. Pour the oil with shallots and garlic over it. Rice (I hope that's the actual verb, basically squash it) the potatoes roughly. Mix in the pine nuts, tomatoes, and the basil. Season it with salt and peper. Add the lemon juice for the final touch.

4. Enjoy (hopefully).

Simple cooking for simple minds (like sincerely yours). No, animal came to harm for this receipe, and you can use free range pine nuts.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to discuss weird food habits.  I have 2 friends who do stuff that blows my mind. 

friend a) lets call him Jason (as it is his name), will eat all of one item on his plate before moving onto the next one, i.e. if he has a fry up he will eat all the sausage, then move onto the bacon, then beans, then egg etc. 

friend b) lets call him Darren, will always leave one mouthful (not regurgitated, just that quantity) of food on his plate, no matter how much he started with, huge pile or tiny portion, he still leaves one mouthful. 

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Cheesy chips, or chips with gravy, not both. 

At least tell me you’ve tried this concoction? I’ll be seriously disappointed to learn you haven’t

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I suppose this is as good a place as any to discuss weird food habits.  I have 2 friends who do stuff that blows my mind. 

friend a) lets call him Jason (as it is his name), will eat all of one item on his plate before moving onto the next one, i.e. if he has a fry up he will eat all the sausage, then move onto the bacon, then beans, then egg etc. 

friend b) lets call him Darren, will always leave one mouthful (not regurgitated, just that quantity) of food on his plate, no matter how much he started with, huge pile or tiny portion, he still leaves one mouthful. 

My Granddad, when he was alive, used to chew every mouthful a minimum of 22 times. Never less. He swore it helped his digestion.

When i was a little girl i used to leave the meat on my sundays dinner until the end because that was the ‘treat’

Now, I like to let my weetabix act like sponges, absorb all the milk and stir them into a cold porridge. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:39 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

My Granddad, when he was alive, used to chew every mouthful a minimum of 22 times. Never less. He swore it helped his digestion.

He was right. Masticating is the first digestive activity, the enzymes in the saliva and the chewing starts to break down the food into pieces that are later processed in your stomach and intestines. Properly done, you tend to eat slower (and less) and you reduce the risk of digestive problems like pyrosis.

8 hours ago, Alarich II said:

He was right. Masticating is the first digestive activity, the enzymes in the saliva and the chewing starts to break down the food into pieces that are later processed in your stomach and intestines. Properly done, you tend to eat slower (and less) and you reduce the risk of digestive problems like pyrosis.

I knew there was some logic or legitimate reason behind it but never knew exactly why. Thanks!

last night i went to a friend’s house. He cooked me lobster (needless to say, he has a wealthier background than me....) Never had it before, but it was delicious. He served us a half lobster each, with a mango, sesame and chilli dressing. Mine was served with a simple salad, he had sweet potato fries and homemade brioche bun with his.

Such good food. I’ve always been adamant i dont want to marry but beginning to reconsider... 

;) 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

last night i went to a friend’s house. He cooked me lobster (needless to say, he has a wealthier background than me....) Never had it before, but it was delicious. He served us a half lobster each, with a mango, sesame and chilli dressing. Mine was served with a simple salad, he had sweet potato fries and homemade brioche bun with his.

Such good food. I’ve always been adamant i dont want to marry but beginning to reconsider... 

;) 

A man who cooks AND serves you lobster?  Okay, what's the catch?

Archived