What's for Dinner part 8.

34 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

A man who cooks AND serves you lobster?  Okay, what's the catch?

I think there’s been a generational shift on this front. Most guys I know can cook and our proud of it, and inversely, many women I know and have dated can’t cook anything outside of a few family dishes.

Yeah I would never ever dream of buying lobster myself. As I say, our wealth backgrounds are very different. Loved the taste though.

Re: men/women cooking, I've always had the impression that chef was a very male dominated profession, though I've no data to back that up. Maybe it's just the head chef positions men dominate, I don't know.

I think cooking and baking in general is much more popular these days regardless of gender tbh. Chalk it up to the popularity of various TV shows I guess 

Bringing this back to dinner, i've got some tomato and red pepper soup on the job and some olive and herb bread dough rising on the bench. 

Already planning ahead for tomorrow, I have some fish in the fridge and will be doing ginger and lime mackerel with a salad of various leaves, peppers and watermelon

It was rack of lamb, mint jelly, red potatoes, and . . . eggplant.  That last doesn't seem to fit, but our garden has been producing tons of it.  

As for the generational differences in male/female roles, I know what you mean.  My daughter takes great pride in the fact that she doesn't cook, and my younger sister does too.  I don't get it, really.  Cooking is a satisfying, relaxing skill that everyone should try their hand at.

With lobster you gotta go to the source, I've bought 2 for $10 bucks in Cushing, ME right off the boat.  I think the tails are the worst part, they get rubbery if overcooked but the claw, leg and body meat are divine.  And lobster bisque is kick-ass too.  

Would never get one in a restaurant though, seems like lighting money on fire

9 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

It was rack of lamb, mint jelly, red potatoes, and . . . eggplant.  That last doesn't seem to fit, but our garden has been producing tons of it.  

As for the generational differences in male/female roles, I know what you mean.  My daughter takes great pride in the fact that she doesn't cook, and my younger sister does too.  I don't get it, really.  Cooking is a satisfying, relaxing skill that everyone should try their hand at.

That sounds divine. 

Lamb and aubergine (eggplant) goes well imo. (See moussaka). Unless you meant the mint jelly but hey, when isn't lamb improved by mint?

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

when isn't lamb improved by mint? 

That is so English, and invokes images of overboiled lamb drowned in a mint sauce (poor Mary did not kill her beloved pet for this). FWIW suitable seasoning for lamb: garlic, rosemary, oregano.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That is so English, and invokes images of overboiled lamb drowned in a mint sauce (poor Mary did not kill her beloved pet for this). FWIW suitable seasoning for lamb: garlic, rosemary, oregano.

Yep, did the garlic and rosemary.  Not the oregano, though.  I'll try it next time.

It was roasted, not boiled.  :ack:  Can't imagine that.

7 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Yep, did the garlic and rosemary.  Not the oregano, though.  I'll try it next time.

It was roasted, not boiled.  :ack:  Can't imagine that.

Well, that was more me having some at the British cuisine, well, more like

Fond Childhood Memories

Fast forward to around minute 25. Somehow the mention of mint reminded me of that scene.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I know very few (actually none) Brits who boil lamb. Not sure where you had your experience of Brits cooking lamb but doesn’t sound like anything I experienced. Lamb is a real, well-loved treat here. Its very expensive but i my experience it is always treated with the respect it deserves. Mint sauce does pair very well with it actually, both quite sweet flavours but the mint compliments the lamb rather than overpowering it.

i also like it seasoned with garlic and rosemary though. Not had it with oregano but sounds fine. 

Cheaper cuts of lamb also make delightful curry. Something about the sweetness of the meat paired with the rich spices. Rogan Josh is the more traditional lamb curry i believe but I have tried and enjoyed a few others too. Just nothing creamy, imo. Lamb is really too rich for a creamy sauce

Some people might say that the three most beautiful words in the English language are "I love you." I maintain that it's actually "Half-off porterhouses." Picked up two giant ones that were both close to two pounds. I think that will split well between four people with some mashed potatoes and gravy or streak frites.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived