What's for Dinner part 8.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are pancakes different in Germany? I can't wrap my head around having pancakes and broccoli at the same time. 

Never really tried American Pancakes. So can't say for sure how different they taste. I don't think the ingredients for pancakes itself are all that different tho.

Milk, Flour, Eggs (a grain of Salt) - that's the very bare bone variant for every pancake dough tho (my mum used to add some baking powder I think). And yes, usually when I make pancakes, I also tend to do it as a sweet variant either with Maple Syrup, or just some extra sugar on top, when I want to go down the nostalgic childhood road (when Maple Syrup was not really that common here). Yes, there's also folks who serve it with Vanilla Ice Cream, or with fruits. Long story short, there's a lot of sweet stuff you can do with pancakes.

However, I found the idea of pancakes with brokkoli and bacon to be interesting when I stumbled over this receipe a while ago (as in different from the usual sweet stuff mentioned above). Strangely, it kinda worked for me, so I kept it. The pancakes with the filling take another some time in the oven with the graded cheese and that mustard-honey-grease sauce, so it's not like I just prepare pancakes and put the other stuff as a side dish or something.

IIRC American pancakes are very different from European pancakes. American pancakes are thick and are typically served with butter and/or maple syrup and I believe they are a completely different animal. 

Sounds like it. It starts the same, but the batter looks like it's used differently. Still sounds kind of tasty though. I make either pancakes, Belgium waffles or French toast with bacon and syrup for my one cheat breakfast (scrambled eggs with chicken, onions and hot peppers with a protein shake the other six mornings, at least most often).

Cooking for six and have been prepping the chicken for a few days now. I marinated four large skinless chick breasts in a mix of minced onions, hot peppers, garlic, olive oil, butter and lime juice. I slow cooked them last night on low heat and tonight they'll go on the grill for a few minutes each side. Then they'll get turned into cutlet and be served on some ciabatta buns with cheese, bacon, avocados, tomatoes (not mine) and Wee Willie's BBQ sauce.

Can't wait! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always love when a perceived failure turns out to be a success. I regularly slow cook chicken on the grill wrapped in tinfoil with chopped up peppers and onions. This time I decided to wrap the breasts in bacon. After an hour I pulled them out and the bacon was barely cooked. Out of desperation I put them in the broiler and a half hour later they were perfect. The bacon is crispy, the chicken was moist and the wrapping really made the peppers kick. Num num num. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, aceluby said:

Red curry with potatoes, cauliflower, peas, carrots, chickpeas, and lentils.  Served over rice w/ sriracha and garlic naan for myself, served straight up for my 10 month old.  Yum. 

Damn, ten months already? Time flies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 11:54 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I always love when a perceived failure turns out to be a success. I regularly slow cook chicken on the grill wrapped in tinfoil with chopped up peppers and onions. This time I decided to wrap the breasts in bacon. After an hour I pulled them out and the bacon was barely cooked. Out of desperation I put them in the broiler and a half hour later they were perfect. The bacon is crispy, the chicken was moist and the wrapping really made the peppers kick. Num num num. 

I'd imagine that's how 90% of dishes came into existence. 

Best roast potatoes I've ever made in my life. I forgot to take them out of the pan after boiling, as I was dealing with a toddler meltdown. They were boiled to the point of insanity but caught just before they turned to mush. Roasted up perfectly, though I did have to be very careful with them before they crisped up. 

On 12/14/2019 at 6:20 AM, BigFatCoward said:

I'd imagine that's how 90% of dishes came into existence. 

I really want to know what was going through the head of the first person to try animal’s milk, as well as several things that come from the sea.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:18 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Best roast potatoes I've ever made in my life. I forgot to take them out of the pan after boiling, as I was dealing with a toddler meltdown. They were boiled to the point of insanity but caught just before they turned to mush. Roasted up perfectly, though I did have to be very careful with them before they crisped up. 

Do you usually bash them about a bit before roasting? Important part of the process as it gives you all those broken ridgy bits that go extra crispy during roasting. The more broken the edges the better, though i guess there must be some stage which is “too far.” I imagine this is why your excessive part-boiling produced such good results, fluffier edges.

Also, general question but when people talk about boiling veg do they actually mean boiling? Or are others like me and say boiling but mean steaming? I almost never boil veg, i find it leaches the flavour and leaves it a bit bland and soggy.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I really want to know what was going through the head of the first person to try animal’s milk, as well as several things that come from the sea.

Didn’t Star Wars: The Last Jedi explore this idea and receive ridicule and mockery? ;) 

Tea tonight was peppers, red onions, mushrooms, baby plum tomatoes, courgettes and aubergines roasted with garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, black pepper, lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice for around 45-50 minutes until beginning to darken on the edges. As i was having this with fish not meat, i added some King prawns for a final 8-10 minutes in the oven. If i do a meat version of this i would add the meat at the beginning and cook it alongside the veg - i tend to use chicken thighs with either chorizo or smoked bacon (depends what is in the fridge).

Served with simple salad with a lemon dressing to echo the lemon in the traybake. Delicious. Slow roast baby plum tomatoes are just so tasty

Archived