What's for Dinner part 8.

I have a long pre Christmas drive so I'll be eating macdonalds. The only time I ever eat it is when I'm driving home. Same thing every time. Big mac meal for me, quarter pounder w cheese meal for the wife. 9 chicken nuggets as a chaser (5 for me). 

Wife has been making a super good vegetarian burrito bowl that is super easy to make.  Cook up some beans & tomatoes in taco seasoning, add in some instant rice & cilantro, then use that as a base for anything else you want to throw in it (sweet potatoes w/ cumin, fresh tomatoes, avocado, corn salsa, regular salsa, lettuce, chips, etc...).  Delicious, easy, and pretty dang healthy.

• 2 months later...

My gosh.

Has no one eaten anything interesting for dinner in 2020 yet?

Tonight I'm doing the thing where I cut potatoes and sausage into bite size pieces, and throw them in together with small peeled shrimp. I then put faaaaar too much butter into the mix, and season the hell out of it with whatever is available. I then wrap this all up in aluminum foil.

Usually I cook it on the grill, but I'm out of propane.

So tonight I'm gonna have to bake it in the oven.

Tried swordfish for the first time recently while out at a restaurant. Very nice, quite a meaty/robust fish that held its own against the accompanying sauce (lemon and caper i think it was) and side (a sort of bean stew). 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tried swordfish for the first time recently while out at a restaurant. Very nice, quite a meaty/robust fish that held its own against the accompanying sauce (lemon and caper i think it was) and side (a sort of bean stew). 

Well it better hold its own. The dang fish has a sword. 

(Sorry, I couldn’t help it)

Yesterday was pan-fried salmon with a chilli, lime and ginger dressing served with stir fried peppers, onions and beansprouts. 

Today is portobello mushroom "burger." portobello mushroom topped with red onion, oven roasted peppers and gruyere cheese then cooked in the oven this cooked through. Served in a home-made bread roll (day off work, I baked). 

Back to work tomorrow on a late shift so will be using my slow cooker to make a carrot and coriander soup. I'll bake off the remaining bread dough to go with it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Weirdly i'm ok for pasta and sauces, but i haven't fancied any since the whole world went crazy for pasta. 

Not sure what i'm going to eat tonight, Mrs BFC is working from home so she is doing the cooking at the minute. 

What I really crave is a proper daft curry, that will be my first meal when everything reopens. 

On 3/25/2020 at 7:50 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Sauceless spaghetti and meatballs?

God damn you COVID-19!!!!

Actually, it wasn't that bad. Just felt like an Asian dish more than an Italian one, but oh well, both can be yummy.

It was burgers tonight. Good, albeit a little over cooked. It did however sadly bring home the current crisis. They were rather plain. My buddy would have cooked bacon and sliced an onion and avocado up like normal. And all we had was back of the fridge cheese. We do actually have a lot of bacon in the freezer, but we've agreed that's basically our last resort food. Onion situation isn't looking good at all, so that's on the list for me tomorrow given I need a few things anyways and want to drop some stuff off at the local food shelf. Might even given them some TP if I can find it. 

My 2+1 roomies and I have been rotating cooking. On Tuesday I made steaks and homemade mashed potatoes. Not really sure what to do for tomorrow. Might get lazy and ask for a pause until Saturday and have some pizza. I feel like I've earned that.

The perks of working from home and being on lockdown mean more time and energy to cook. Usually I get home and can't be bothered to do much cooking. 

This morning I made some wholemeal bread dough, which I've just put in the oven to bake a fresh loaf. I also made a carrot and lentil soup which I've had simmering on low for a couple of hours. Will heat that up later and have leftovers for the foreseeable future. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Actually, it wasn't that bad. Just felt like an Asian dish more than an Italian one, but oh well, both can be yummy.

It was burgers tonight. Good, albeit a little over cooked. It did however sadly bring home the current crisis. They were rather plain. My buddy would have cooked bacon and sliced an onion and avocado up like normal. And all we had was back of the fridge cheese. We do actually have a lot of bacon in the freezer, but we've agreed that's basically our last resort food. Onion situation isn't looking good at all, so that's on the list for me tomorrow given I need a few things anyways and want to drop some stuff off at the local food shelf. Might even given them some TP if I can find it. 

My 2+1 roomies and I have been rotating cooking. On Tuesday I made steaks and homemade mashed potatoes. Not really sure what to do for tomorrow. Might get lazy and ask for a pause until Saturday and have some pizza. I feel like I've earned that.

A freezer full of bacon? Wasn't that a plot point in The Last Man On Earth? 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Couldn't say, but if I'm going to survive the apocalypse, I need some high end thick cut bacon! 

Actually the show was one of the funnier takes on a global pandemic killing off almost everyone in the world.

Archived