What's for Dinner part 8.

8 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

what? lol. is that a Canadian thing? kapusta just means cabbage.

Lol, I meant to distinguish between sauerkraut and raw cabbage. But yes, the dish has always been referred to as Kapusta, and my parents were born and raised in Poland.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23362/kapusta/

interesting, it would always be qualified in some way in Poland. The one you linked would be “kapusta z grzybami”. Otherwise who could tell what kind of kapusta you’re talking about? ;)

I don’t think my family mixed raw cabbage and sauerkraut often. It was usually one or the other. Bigos is an exception.

edit: it’s baked? whaaaaat. lol

edit 2: I mean there’s probably as many ways to make cabbage as there are families, I don’t mean to diss anyone’s way :D

8 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Kimchi would like a word with you!;)

Oh, and curtido!

MC has been fermenting up a storm of cabbage stuffs since stay at home orders began in March. We have a batch sauerkraut that turned out really well, and a couple of curtido and kimchi. We actually need to make some more kimchi. 

Other lactobacillus fermentation projects - three batches of pickles, two batches of hot peppers, one batch of sweet peppers, dilly beans, asparagus, carrots and giardiniera. Also a very impressive sourdough starter and four batches of kombucha. 

Our gut biomes are mighty!

57 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

interesting, it would always be qualified in some way in Poland. The one you linked would be “kapusta z grzybami”. Otherwise who could tell what kind of kapusta you’re talking about? ;)

I don’t think my family mixed raw cabbage and sauerkraut often. It was usually one or the other. Bigos is an exception.

edit: it’s baked? whaaaaat. lol

edit 2: I mean there’s probably as many ways to make cabbage as there are families, I don’t mean to diss anyone’s way :D

Oh, I just posted the first recipe I saw, I never bake mine! Weird.

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Oh, and curtido!

MC has been fermenting up a storm of cabbage stuffs since stay at home orders began in March. We have a batch sauerkraut that turned out really well, and a couple of curtido and kimchi. We actually need to make some more kimchi. 

Other lactobacillus fermentation projects - three batches of pickles, two batches of hot peppers, one batch of sweet peppers, dilly beans, asparagus, carrots and giardiniera. Also a very impressive sourdough starter and four batches of kombucha. 

Our gut biomes are mighty!

Emphasis mine, QFT!

Never heard of Curtido, it sounds interesting though, especially if it's also spiced. Kimchi I have had before, but only in restaurant settings where the portions were small enough that it never really shone above what was eaten with it - BBQ meat! And unfortunately I can't find a place close to where I am that provides it in home quantities.

I'm relatively new to many of these fermented foods. I love Kombucha. Never tried it until about a couple years ago. Now I drink it often. My boss' wife makes it for her family and she has several SCOBYs on hand if ever I need one, but I don't have the space and glassware to make it in my small unit - yet. Sourdough is about only type of wheat bread I can eat that doesn't cause me joint inflammation. Dark Rye Sourdough is heaven.         

Not dinner, but I seriously underestimated the impact a ghost pepper would have on the salsa. My plant has like a dozen more on it and 3 are ripe. The jalapenos growing out of the same pot are also insanely hot compared to the other plants in different pots ( I've got some hot and sweet banana peppers, red and yellow cayenne peppers and some kind of Asian pepper my grandfather gave me). The tomatoes also came out of the garden. Damn this shit is hot....

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not dinner, but I seriously underestimated the impact a ghost pepper would have on the salsa. My plant has like a dozen more on it and 3 are ripe. The jalapenos growing out of the same pot are also insanely hot compared to the other plants in different pots ( I've got some hot and sweet banana peppers, red and yellow cayenne peppers and some kind of Asian pepper my grandfather gave me). The tomatoes also came out of the garden. Damn this shit is hot....

The shit is hot coming out too.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ah ha! People made Ghost Pepper vodka for shots at a couple of BwB parties at Worldcon, and there are various stories about guests who are still cursing the BwB to this day.

43 minutes ago, maarsen said:

The shit is hot coming out too.

I am aware of the suicide pact my mouth made with my ass.

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ah ha! People made Ghost Pepper vodka for shots at a couple of BwB parties at Worldcon, and there are various stories about guests who are still cursing the BwB to this day.

I'm just happy this plant worked. My last two produced next to nothing, but this one still has three giant red ones on it and several smaller ones. My section of the garden has gone really well this year. It's one of the few net pluses of 2020 (watch another storm roll through now and just fuck everything up, garden has survived to recent mild hail storms and a lot of thunderstorms as the skies are angry!!!!!).

On 8/21/2020 at 3:23 PM, Maithanet said:

I'm going to make "real" lasagna for the first time this weekend.  Here's the recipe if you're curious.

So the lasagna came out pretty good.  Making two sauces definitely takes a lot of time, and I think by the end, I had built up the idea that this lasagna was going to be OMG amazing that when it was only very good, I was a little disappointed.  The perils of expectations. 

I also think that in retrospect, choosing a lasagna without any green vegetables in it was a mistake.  I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms and squash in lasagna, but no spinach seemed very strange.  Plus I followed that recipe's bechamel sauce, and in retrospect I should have just made a white sauce my way, because this sauce was too liquidy and took forever.  I think that if I did this a second time I'd be able to do it much more easily, and I could customize it more confidently. 

5 hours ago, bad robot productions said:

I had a bowl of beef and barley with veggies -- and added garlic and butter. With a package of bacon, 6 sausage links, 5 clementines, 5 chocolate chips cookies, and Yakisoba Teriyaki Beef noodles. 

Munchies? 

Sri lankan curry, with crispy chicken thighs. 

Beyond Burgers aren't bad taste-wise but they are far from the answer when you consider all the processing and pieces to glue them together whereas beef is ground cow. Period. The sodium alone is enough to give pause.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/impossible-and-beyond-how-healthy-are-these-meatless-burgers-2019081517448

I think eating an occasional beef burger is a better way all around but that's just me.

• 5 weeks later...

I have never had etoufee anything, (that I can remember) but I regularly sauté onions and garlic, add chopped tomatoes and then add a firm fish like basa or shrimp to the mix. And I don’t eat rice anymore, but it tastes great over spiralyzed zucchini cooked quickly in butter. You can’t overcook spiralyzed zucchini or else it turns into mush.

Dinner tonight was baked salmon with a side of snow peas.

Archived