What's for Dinner part 8.

I got 2 gorgeous rib eye steaks in for last night, but pregnant woman wanted fish and chips from the chippy. Pregnant woman got what she wanted. Having a roast today, MiL makes terrible gravy but everything else is normally ok. Rib eye will be saved for tomorrow with creamy peppercorn or chimichurri sauce. 

41 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I got 2 gorgeous rib eye steaks in for last night, but pregnant woman wanted fish and chips from the chippy. Pregnant woman got what she wanted. Having a roast today, MiL makes terrible gravy but everything else is normally ok. Rib eye will be saved for tomorrow with creamy peppercorn or chimichurri sauce. 

You sauce your steaks?

Not much of a ribeye fan, but I got two huge porterhouses ready to go on the grill this evening. I'll probably skip lunch because both are close to 18 ounces.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Pregnant woman? This is how you tell us another littlefatcoward is on the way?

Congratulations man!

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You sauce your steaks?

Not much of a ribeye fan, but I got two huge porterhouses ready to go on the grill this evening. I'll probably skip lunch because both are close to 18 ounces.

I'm saucing a steak, is that not usual? Most restaurants in the UK would have a choice of sauces with a steak. 

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm saucing a steak, is that not usual? Most restaurants in the UK would have a choice of sauces with a steak. 

In my experience there are two kinds of steak eaters, people who use sauce and people who think you are mentally deranged if you use sauce.

Friends who I used to regularly have Sunday dinner with look at me like I have two heads because I like horse radish with my roast beef and sauce with my steak, oh, and mint jelly with my lamb, yet all kinds of crap with chicken is perfectly fine because they like to put crap on their chicken. 

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ooooh Hawksmoor. Sooo delicious. And Hix Chop House was also v. good. :wub:

Also, congrats!

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

In my experience there are two kinds of steak eaters, people who use sauce and people who think you are mentally deranged if you use sauce.

Friends who I used to regularly have Sunday dinner with look at me like I have two heads because I like horse radish with my roast beef and sauce with my steak, oh, and mint jelly with my lamb, yet all kinds of crap with chicken I’d perfectly fine because they like to put crap on their chicken. 

You're a monster!

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sauce or blue cheese is only needed if you can't flavor your steak. My porterhouses were cooked for 8 minutes, rested for a few more, and only needed a little olive oil, butter sea salt and pepper to season them. 

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You sauce your steaks?

Did you eat two porterhouse steaks?

I actually had two striploin steaks out for my brother and I, and ended up freezing one of them because they were just too big. As it happens, we didn’t even finish the one. Breakfast is going to be steak and eggs.

Ah, youth. Sadly, ah, old age.

11 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Ooooh Hawksmoor. Sooo delicious. And Hix Chop House was also v. good. :wub:

Also, congrats!

Weigh in on the sauce with steak debate, if MC says it's wrong I'll take it on the chin (though not change my ways, a little pot of creamy pepper sauce to dip your chips in is a joy). 

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Friends who I used to regularly have Sunday dinner with look at me like I have two heads because I like horse radish with my roast beef and sauce with my steak, oh, and mint jelly with my lamb, yet all kinds of crap with chicken is perfectly fine because they like to put crap on their chicken. 

I can take or leave horseradish with beef, or apple sauce with pork. But I would refuse to eat lamb without mint sauce, what would be the point. 

IMO it depends on the cut of meat that you're using to make your steak. A dry-aged ribeye already has enough fat and umami going on that you do not need to put sauce on it. In fact, you've just wasted a lot of money if you bought that expensive cut of meat and then covered up the flavor with a highly seasoned sauce. I mean, you could do that, but why waste the money?

If you bought a much less expensive cut like a flank steak or sirloin, though, sauce away. 

26 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

You say that like it's a bad thing! I sometimes consider ordering extra pizza just so I get have to have pizza breakfast and pizza lunch and pizza dinner and pizza supper the next day!

And if I'm feeling fancy, pizza elevenses too!

That's exactly what we did -- ordered extra pizza at lunch and then just dove right back into it for dinner. We usually try to cook a nice meal on Sunday to mentally prepare for the upcoming week, but yesterday that was just a bit beyond us. hahaha. Pizza was really good though. 

If I make pizza I always make extra for leftovers. I actually do that with most meals I make because sometimes the leftovers are better than the actual meal...

Had prawns and veg in sweet chilli sauce, served with a pitta and some salad. Very tasty.

Today I'm making carrot and lentil soup and a loaf of wholemeal bread. The soup should last a few days at least and the bread too (unless I get peckish...)

ETA: I don't eat meat anymore but mint sauce with lamb was always a must when I did. I was never a steak girl but I've served plenty in pubs and most people ordered with sauce - though as BFC seemed to imply, served in a boat on the side.

Archived