What's for Dinner part 8.

Last night was lazy night. Marinated a whole chicken in a peri peri spice blend I bought back from portugal (blows chain peri peri out of the water). 

Served with roast garlic corn, and griddled halloumi. 

Tonight fuck knows. Yesterday was a cooking day as we are grounded as my daughter has had a contact with covid +ve person. Made batch of chilli, curry, thai curry, sri lankan curry for freezer, probably eat one of them. 

Breakfast is about to be griddled sourdough with creme fraische, garlic mushrooms, wilted spinach and poached eggs. I'm starving but my wife always gets a lie in on Saturday and Sunday until 0900. 

Decided to cook Sunday lunch to take over for my sister & her family. Made a dry curry from the Australian lamb forequarter chops I had on hand.

I cut the lamb chops, bone in, into bite sized pieces and seasoned them well with salt & pepper. Some parts were quite fatty, which was useful. I took these fatty pieces and rendered them in a shallow pan on high heat. Once I had enough fat lining the pan I used that to sear the remaining lamb pieces in batches, which I then set aside in a wok.

With a little of the fat in the pan I heated a few cloves, peppercorns, petals & seeds from half a star anise, curry powder and cumin - deliberately mild. Then added a whole sliced onion and a few crushed lobes of garlic. Once the onion lost colour I transferred it all into the wok, added a cup of warm water, placed a lid on and on a low to moderate heat simmered & steamed the lamb until the water was gone and the lamb flaky and tender. This took about an hour, and the aromas were exquisite. I drained a ramekin worth of clear curry infused lamb fat which I kept for my own general cooking and flavouring. I separated the tender lamb pieces and remaining gravy & fat into separate containers. Also had a bowl full of sliced cucumber which I had chilled overnight with a little salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar. Finally, a bunch of coriander completed the items to take over to my sister's house.

As it was a fine day I decided to walk the last 5km from the train station to my sister's house. When I arrived her kids had cooked some rice and had some Greek yogurt ready. Lamb curry and gravy was heated (I told my sister she could pick out the cloves, peppercorns and star anise from the gravy) and chopped coriander added in. My brother in law always keeps some fresh chilies on hand for anyone wanting to add heat. I wasn't hungry after the walk so was more than happy to just sit back and watch family enjoying a meal I helped prepare.

16 years ago this week, we adopted two furry hellions that had been rescued from a feral cat colony in The Bronx. To celebrate, Mr. X roasted a chicken (their absolute FAVORITE food) for dinner and they got some of the bounty. The humans of the household also had broccoli and slices of Mr. X's fresh-baked bread with cultured butter. 

15 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

16 years ago this week, we adopted two furry hellions that had been rescued from a feral cat colony in The Bronx. To celebrate, Mr. X roasted a chicken (their absolute FAVORITE food) for dinner and they got some of the bounty. The humans of the household also had broccoli and slices of Mr. X's fresh-baked bread with cultured butter. 

When we lived in California, we were near a place named El Pollo Loco, which made some of the best chicken I've ever had, along with fresh tortillas, house made salsa, cilantro, etc.  We often picked up an order on the way home from work if we were running late and wanted a quick dinner.  Our beloved fur buddy, Dozer, ADORED this chicken.  All I had to do was enter the door with a bag and wherever he was, he'd come at a run simply at the smell of it.  The insistent meowing went on and on until he was offered his fair share, which of course he got ASAP.  

ETA:  Tonight we had leftover stew, which is always the best.  Especially when you use lots of port wine in the sauce.  Mmmmmmmm . . .

On 10/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, ithanos said:

Decided to cook Sunday lunch to take over for my sister & her family. Made a dry curry from the Australian lamb forequarter chops I had on hand.

I cut the lamb chops, bone in, into bite sized pieces and seasoned them well with salt & pepper. Some parts were quite fatty, which was useful. I took these fatty pieces and rendered them in a shallow pan on high heat. Once I had enough fat lining the pan I used that to sear the remaining lamb pieces in batches, which I then set aside in a wok.

With a little of the fat in the pan I heated a few cloves, peppercorns, petals & seeds from half a star anise, curry powder and cumin - deliberately mild. Then added a whole sliced onion and a few crushed lobes of garlic. Once the onion lost colour I transferred it all into the wok, added a cup of warm water, placed a lid on and on a low to moderate heat simmered & steamed the lamb until the water was gone and the lamb flaky and tender. This took about an hour, and the aromas were exquisite. I drained a ramekin worth of clear curry infused lamb fat which I kept for my own general cooking and flavouring. I separated the tender lamb pieces and remaining gravy & fat into separate containers. Also had a bowl full of sliced cucumber which I had chilled overnight with a little salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar. Finally, a bunch of coriander completed the items to take over to my sister's house.

As it was a fine day I decided to walk the last 5km from the train station to my sister's house. When I arrived her kids had cooked some rice and had some Greek yogurt ready. Lamb curry and gravy was heated (I told my sister she could pick out the cloves, peppercorns and star anise from the gravy) and chopped coriander added in. My brother in law always keeps some fresh chilies on hand for anyone wanting to add heat. I wasn't hungry after the walk so was more than happy to just sit back and watch family enjoying a meal I helped prepare.

^^^^^^Outstanding!!

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

When we lived in California, we were near a place named El Pollo Loco, which made some of the best chicken I've ever had, along with fresh tortillas, house made salsa, cilantro, etc.  We often picked up an order on the way home from work if we were running late and wanted a quick dinner.  Our beloved fur buddy, Dozer, ADORED this chicken.  All I had to do was enter the door with a bag and wherever he was, he'd come at a run simply at the smell of it.  The insistent meowing went on and on until he was offered his fair share, which of course he got ASAP.  

ETA:  Tonight we had leftover stew, which is always the best.  Especially when you use lots of port wine in the sauce.  Mmmmmmmm . . .

Pollo Loco was incredibly popular with the people I knew in Vegas as well. I used to love loading up on their sauces.

I spent a good while slow cooking two skinless chicken breasts with olive oil, butter, belle peppers and onions in the oven, and when it was falling apart cooked it with diced jalapenos and garlic with chunks of onions and belle peppers on the stove. Served with homemade guac, blended cheeses and a bit of left over homemade salsa. Tortilla game needs to get better as I age though...

Between three it lasted maybe ten minutes once I was done? 

We are bringing my nanna out to see my new (been here a month or so but she hasn't seen in because of lockdown etc.) flat tomorrow so making her favourite panackelty. Emphasis that that's her favourite, I personally think it's gross :P

for me and the mothership I'll make sweet potato curry.

Food associated with your childhood can be the best. Really good corned beef on an onion roll with a bowl of chicken broth soup. Simple, a bit weird, but heaven. Only thing missing were some fat fries. Apricot hamantaschen for dessert.  

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Food associated with your childhood can be the best. Really good corned beef on an onion roll with a bowl of chicken broth soup. Simple, a bit weird, but heaven. Only thing missing were some fat fries. Apricot hamantaschen for dessert.  

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

We are bringing my nanna out to see my new (been here a month or so but she hasn't seen in because of lockdown etc.) flat tomorrow so making her favourite panackelty. Emphasis that that's her favourite, I personally think it's gross :P

for me and the mothership I'll make sweet potato curry.

Stop making up words. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Stop making up words. 

Of all the people who would question this I’m surprised its you. My nanna always made it for me growing up (and i hated it then too). It was usually her Monday meal using veg she hadn’t used up on Sunday

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panackelty

44 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Of all the people who would question this I’m surprised its you. My nanna always made it for me growing up (and i hated it then too). It was usually her Monday meal using veg she hadn’t used up on Sunday

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panackelty

Wiki lost me at 'popular in Sunderland'. 

Made sweetbreads with boiled potatoes and a cream sauce. The sweetbreads turned out well but the sauce was meh. I really don’t eat potatoes anymore and OMG they were delicious!

Also bought a dessert, a Meringata, describes as a traditional Italian dessert. It’s a frozen cream dessert surrounded by a meringue, in a loaf shape. Very good!

Archived