What's for Dinner part 8.

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Made sweetbreads with boiled potatoes and a cream sauce. The sweetbreads turned out well but the sauce was meh. I really don’t eat potatoes anymore and OMG they were delicious!

Also bought a dessert, a Meringata, describes as a traditional Italian dessert. It’s a frozen cream dessert surrounded by a meringue, in a loaf shape. Very good!

Was this calf or lamb? I don't think I've ever tried sweetbreads. I fried up some lamb liver with a little butter, sliced onion and spinach leaves.  

gotta say the talk of sweetbreads and liver warm my heart! (not an offal pun)

i love both things, but eat them rarely. 

i did however get to poach 10# of sweetbreads at work yesterday. we are working on a new dish featuring a crispy fried nugget of sweetbread brushed with a gochugaru maple glaze served w sushi rice enriched w chicken fat, a soy marinated poached egg yolk and beet and turnip kimchi i made. should be a fucking beast!

2 hours ago, ithanos said:

Was this calf or lamb? I don't think I've ever tried sweetbreads. I fried up some lamb liver with a little butter, sliced onion and spinach leaves.  

They were calf sweetbreads, I have never seen lamb sweatbreads anywhere. I'm sure they are available at a high-end butcher somewhere, just not my local cool grocery store. The regular grocery stores never have them, but we have a place in the neighbourhood that was Whole Foods decades before Whole Foods. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen sweetbreads at a Whole Foods either.

I follow the recipe in The Joy of Cooking. The preparation is a bit fussy, you need to par-boil them in acidified water, plunge into cold water, then break them up to remove membranes and veins, then squish them between a couple of plates with some weight on top for a couple of hours to squeeze out moisture. You can get elaborate with breading, but I just add salt and pepper and herbes de Provence to flour and dust them with that. The big secret is cooking them very very fast, a minute or two on one side and then flipping them and cooking for 10 or 15 seconds. Overcooking will make them rubbery.

There used to be a small French restaurant we went to years ago, decades ago, that served them. And cooked them beautifully! After they closed down we found another small French restaurant, run by a Vietnamese guy who first immigrated to Paris, then Canada, but, alas, he closed down after a year or two. He never changed his menu and I think people got bored of the same old same old all the time. 

Now I need to search for a place that makes them, maybe order some take out!

1 hour ago, MercenaryChef said:

gotta say the talk of sweetbreads and liver warm my heart! (not an offal pun)

i love both things, but eat them rarely. 

i did however get to poach 10# of sweetbreads at work yesterday. we are working on a new dish featuring a crispy fried nugget of sweetbread brushed with a gochugaru maple glaze served w sushi rice enriched w chicken fat, a soy marinated poached egg yolk and beet and turnip kimchi i made. should be a fucking beast!

OMG that sounds awesome!

On 10/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Wiki lost me at 'popular in Sunderland'. 

I can’t even make a rebuttal to this :lol: It speaks volumes that I chose to tell people i was from Durham when I went to uni :P (to be fair, i used to live in that weird in-between counties space so it wasnt a complete lie).

Anyway, nanna loved the panackelty and took the leftovers for the next day, along with a couple of cheese and a couple of fruit scones. The curry was alright but could have been a bit hotter for my taste - i downplayed it a bit because the mothership isnt great with spice.

Not dinner, but yesterday I prepared the fruit for our Christmas cake...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My father and I tried to make stuffed peppers for the first time today and I am proud to announce the experiment largely turned out delicious. I loved this dish since I was little. The trickiest part is to empty out the peppers through a small hole on top without cutting or breaking them, but I am sure I am going to get more efficient at it with more practice.

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

“Adds stuffed peppers to the list of dishes to try making.” 

Don't forget the tomato sauce. ;) 

Some recipes recommend baking them in the oven, but instead of that, I am more used to the version where you put them in a large pot, pour a lot of tomato sauce over it, and cook on the stove. We used yellow peppers.

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly a snow storm is going to come up from the south, up through New England, starting here, supposedly tomorrow afternoon, and then snow for 24 hours.  I dunno . . . .

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/14/weather/snow-storm-northeast-forecast/index.html

However we have taken on the semi-happy attitude that snowstorms have always given us, knowing we must be inside -- but having the food and the drink and the books, etc. to stay happy.  And each other in case it gets very cold and the power goes out (but snow just doesn't do that here, generally, due to everything underground).  Ya, we've been locked in pretty much for nearly 10 months already, but see this is Snow!  It is Natural!

So tonight's left over chicken will contribute to tomorrow's Tortilla Soup -- all things necessary here and accounted for including home made tortillas -- and cerveza.

Anybody else making cooking plans for this week's weather?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe this for dinner in a few years? Cross posting from the international thread.

Our food future has arrived:

http://www.micausa.org/first-cultivated-ribeye-steak-revealed/

fleischwirtschaft.com — ISRAEL, Rehovot. Aleph Farms has in cooperation with the Faculty of Biomedical Engineering at the Technion — Israel Institute of Technology, successfully cultivated the world’s first slaughter-free ribeye steak, using three-dimensional (3D) bioprinting technology and natural building blocks of meat — real cow cells, without genetic engineering and immortalization.

The photo of it looks rather unappetising, but for the first one ever it's a pretty good start.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Lunch rather than dinner issue. Why don't all bagels have teeny tiny little holes? I know what the hole is for, but it's a fucking palaver to make a sandwich.

You're not supposed to make a sandwich, you are supposed to smother each half with 2cm of cream cheese after toasting it.

According to Food Theory, Little Caesar's is the best value for money fast food pizza, in the USA, followed by Dominoes. Of course taste preference, esp was a next day left over should be the major determinant of choice. And local availability too I suppose.

Archived