What's for Dinner part 8.

• 4 weeks later...

Big thick center cut, bone in, pork chops, baked with apple slices and coarse ground pepper and wine.  Mashed potatoes.  ASPARAGUS!  ASPARAGUS!  ASPARAGUS! with butter and lemon.

Our way to do St. Paddy's day.  :cheers:

I mentioned elsewhere that back in January my refrigerator died, and because of Covid and, more likely, Trump’s trade war with China, very few compressors are being exported to the US so there’s a three month wait for a good refrigerator, or longer.

The delivery date for my new bottom-freezer Whirlpool was supposed to be the 18th of March, but I got a call saying it hadn’t arrived and there was no new date yet. Add to the mix that there’s a huge shortage of shipping containers as well. In other words, I do very little interesting cooking because there’s no room in the bar fridge I’m living out of for many ingredients or leftovers, let alone freezing stuff. I was finally planning on making stock this week, but, no fridge.

Anyway, I saw a recipe for a Reuben sandwich in my online WaPo that looked good, so when my brother called me yesterday to say they were going to the Polish grocery store I joined them on the trip. I knew I could buy a small, self-fill container of sauerkraut from a barrel. No way could I buy a jar of the stuff because the jars are too big for the fridge, and I can’t eat that much without making a dish that would result in leftovers.

The interesting thing about the recipe is that the author wanted to find a good substitute for the corned beef, and hit on the idea of using a portobello mushroom. He found it had too much liquid and suggested putting something heavy on the slices to compress them and get rid of some moisture. He was making a couple of sandwiches so used a large skillet with a cast iron pan on top, I used a small skillet and but a soup bowl on top. Worked fine.

I just made my sandwich and my goodness, it was delicious. Two slices of rye bread, which I buttered on one side, then used ranch dressing on the inner sides (he suggested thousand island dressing, which I don’t have but also sounds good). A slice of Swiss cheese, topped with my mushroom slices, topped with a layer of sauerkraut, topped with more Swiss cheese and the other slice of rye, then fried in my pan.

Heaven! And my small container of sauerkraut fits in the fridge and there’s enough for two or three sandwiches.

17 minutes ago, Eru Illuvatar said:

We had ribs with some sliced, cheesy baked potatoes and steamed broccoli one night. And meatloaf the next day with some stuff I cannot quite remember. My Mom bought us tacos at this restaurant. Mine were pork and tasted like bacon! With rice and charro beans.

It sufficed for dinner.

Oh hell yeah!  I haven't been eating much meat lately but did baby back ribs last week and have been super tempted to do another rack this week.  

• 2 weeks later...

For the 6th time in the last 10 days we're having asparagus with dinner ... again accompanied by a bottle of Gruner Veltliner.  It's been a good spring for asparagus it seems, and the Veltliners are plentiful -- and good and not expensive -- in the local wine stores.

Best of all I was in the supermarket myself, picking out the asparagus -- myself.  I cannot believe the incredible pleasure I am feeling, shopping for groceries for myself in the stores, after over a year of not doing it.  Hey, I'm also a cheap date!  :D

I can't remember even having asparagus last spring, and we weren't drinking anything but lots of tea, particularly herbals that promised soothing to the nerves.

Tonight it's roasted chicken shawarma in a pita w/ homemade red pepper hummus, lettuce & parsley from our indoor garden, topped with sliced tomatoes and onions - with a side of yellow rice & parsley.  My wife makes it the same, but instead of chicken she roasts up some cauliflower shawarma steaks.

37 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Ifs good Friday so it has to be fish and chips, my nana would never forgive me eating meat today, its a catholic thing. 

Every year without fail my dad would go to my nanna’s house on Good Friday and ask if the bacon sandwiches were ready yet. (She was also Catholic) Fond memories, damn i miss her.

My other nanna always calls ahead to ask the chippy if they have haddock rather than cod

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:30 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

For my 30th birthday, I had three bbq ribs, a side of pasta salad, and a big slice of chocolate ice cream cake from Oberweis.

Happy belated birthday!

I am getting delivery pizza for the first time in forever.  Have never had a place close enough that would deliver.  Pretty excited.  Getting kalamatas, onions, and peppers.  

This thing is gonna be delicous.

So most of this area's restaraunts make breakfast burritos that are alarmingly lame.

Solution: I'm now an expert at making the most delicious breakfast burritos at home. It took me two attempts though, my first batch a couple weeks earlier were not primo.

This wknd I nailed it though, just the perfect mixture of ingredients, burrito fold perfect, browning perfect.

Just like the ones I could get when I lived in the Southwest. Have devoured two and they are muy bonita!!

• 3 weeks later...

Made a very simple Asparagus soup for my dinner. I bought a bunch of asparagus, trimmed the ends and sliced them into one inch pieces, softened some chopped onion and garlic in a Dutch oven, in olive oil and butter, added the asparagus then added most of a carton of chicken stock. Vegetable stock works fine as well, if you want the soup to be vegetarian. Added salt and pepper, brought it to a boil then simmered it for half an hour. Used my stick blender to blend it all. Ladled a bowl and grated Parmesan on top. Absolutely delicious!

The recipe calls for cream to be added but I couldn’t be bothered, and for the asparagus tips to be reserved and then boiled and added to the bowl you ladle up, but I gave that up after the first time I made the soup years ago. I might do it for a dinner party.

Fresh lake trout, brown trout, and koho salmon grilled.  Turned out very nice.  Not fishy at all and we were feeding some trout haters.

Venison pastrami going in the smoker this weekend if I have any time...

46 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm making honey garlic chicken in the slow cooker tonight.  We'll see how it turns out. 

I like the slow cooker for convenience on things like that, especially for chicken parts.  Good if you can fry in a pan first to get some browning or back/broil/grill before eating if it isn't cooked till it falls apart I think.

Archived