What's for Dinner part 8.

16 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^I always dose my salmon in ginger powder.

I love soup, that recipe sounds interesting just seems like cabbage instead of the leaf lettuce would be my preference there.

So today we ate at the steakhouse down here in Milwaukee. Got the surf n turf combo. Steak was decent medium rare.

Issue I had was with the overpriced "margarita" I was served while waiting at the bar to be seated. It was supposed to be a frozen lime margarita with the salt rim and lime wedge. They bought the drink I really wasn't paying too great of attention because I'm looking at all the sports on the screens, hostess comes to seat us, we grab our drinks and head to our table. Pretty routine right.

Well once seated I set my drink at the table and it happens to be right next to a drink brochure with a delicious lime margarita, salted and lime wedges just like the overpriced thing I just paid for at bar.......except wait a minute, my drink looks nothing like that thing!

The waitress arrives and I point out the pink glass of something (on the rocks (no wedge) they salted the rim) and I asked what she thought I had received.

She agreed it was no lime margarita, I'm guessing the pink color was a big clue.

Long story short, she brought me a delicious frothy, limey, salty rita, dinner is saved!

Of course I tipped her handsomely.

This part of tipping blows my mind, you paid extra because they fixed your fucked up order which is the absolute bare minimum they should do? 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

This part of tipping blows my mind, you paid extra because they fixed your fucked up order which is the absolute bare minimum they should do? 

I know, but the waitress did her job, the screwed up drink came from the bar so I rationalized it as she took care of it right away without letting it ruin my mood.

All in all the meal was nice once the glitch was worked out.

Eta: To be clear the person that took the food order was a completely different person than the one mangling drinks at the bar lol.

18 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, a lot of people in the States (particularly in the service industry) don't punish the server for a mistake made by the bartender or kitchen. If they rectify it quickly / politely / as best as possible, I generally tip more as well.

I ate only stuff from my yard tonight.  Was about a pint and a half of mulberries and a half box of triscuit crackers leftover from yesterday at lunch.  Booyah!  Most of the mulberries weren't quite ripe, the ripe ones all got destroyed in the rain and thunderstorms the last couple days.  Had a few clear hours this afternoon and picked everything that any color to it.

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I ate only stuff from my yard tonight.  Was about a pint and a half of mulberries and a half box of triscuit crackers leftover from yesterday at lunch.  Booyah!  Most of the mulberries weren't quite ripe, the ripe ones all got destroyed in the rain and thunderstorms the last couple days.  Had a few clear hours this afternoon and picked everything that any color to it.

Dude, keeping a half box of delicious triscuit crackers in your yard?  And then eating them a day later? Are you Robbie Knievel or something?

5 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Dude, keeping a half box of delicious triscuit crackers in your yard?  And then eating them a day later? Are you Robbie Knievel or something?

They fell out of the truck I think when I was grabbing some shit last night in the rain.  they werent very affected by the damp and were still decent today!

Maybe if you told me there were some delicious triscuit crackers in the limo I could have enjoyed them with you, Carl 

5 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, a lot of people in the States (particularly in the service industry) don't punish the server for a mistake made by the bartender or kitchen. If they rectify it quickly / politely / as best as possible, I generally tip more as well.

But you are tipping extra because they are doing the absolute minimum required. Getting your order correct shouldn't attract a premium. 

• 2 weeks later...

Think I did pretty well this afternoon. The sun was out and the grill was hot. I made a porterhouse, medium-rare, with a bit of olive oil, butter and sea salt, five chicken kababs with onions, red and green belle peppers, jalapenos and zucchini and cooked up two chicken breasts marinated in some homemade salsa that I whipped up earlier. All that was missing was a good house Caesar salad. 

Vietnamese cold noodle salad with grilled chicken (Bún Thịt Gà Nướng) - top 3 favorite summer meals.  Crunchy veg (matchstick carrot and cumcumber, chopped romaine), herbs (mint/basil/cilantro), cold rice vermicelli, and fish sauce dressing (nước chấm). Marinate chicken thighs for 24 hours in fish sauce, brown sugar, garlic, five spice, black pepper - then grill and chop.  Serve everything family-style.

• 2 weeks later...

Grilled:

• One porterhouse, medium rare, with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
  • One chicken breast, sealed with onions, belle and hot peppers, garlic, olive oil and butter, meant for fajitas tomorrow
  • Eight kabobs, a blend of diced chicken, mixed peppers, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms, marinated in soy sauce and honey

Next time I need to make a large batch of white rice, perhaps with some more veggies. 

• 5 weeks later...

Going to have haggis for the first time in forty years at the weekend.

I'm thinking baked not boiled, served with assorted, crisp green veggies, parmentier potatoes, and some kind of gravy.

I hated haggis as a child, but now my palate has matured I am really looking forward to it. Om nom nom.

Trying something new. Curious how it will turn out. I blended four different hot peppers until they were completely minced, then mixed them with soy sauce, honey, olive oil and minced garlic. Splashed in some lime juice as well then took two chicken breasts and am currently marinating them in it. They go on the grill in an hour or so for fajitas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gamja Jorim

Korean style potatoes with sesame, honey and garlic.

Yes, bought a giant bag of potatoes (7.5 kg) and I am relieved that I am pretty much done with it. Yes, it's been a long ten days, and I am just happy to be done with it.

Ribs, for sure. And I baked a double-chocolate carrot cake with mocha flavored mascarpone icing. Three of us usually celebrate our birthdays together (15th, 16th and 17th of September). One will be at dinner, the other is a civil engineer who called up his old bosses in the Bahamas and asked if they needed him after the hurricane two years ago. He’s been in Marsh Harbour on Abaco rebuilding infrastructure ever since. He’ll join us on Zoom or FaceTime or something when the cake comes out.

Archived