What's for Dinner part 8.

Gonna try to cook some Dal Tadka with rice as a side dish.

Receipe doesn't look too challenging, so that should work out fine. Decent vegan dish. Too bad the red lentils I still had are way past the point, where I'd try them. So, that's another item on the shopping list.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a meal with Kimchi - and some other side ingredients. I'm infatuated with Kimchi and can't get enough of it. After discovering that my local store sells imported Korean Kimchi in large tubs that you'd think will last months, I've found that one barely lasts me a couple weeks. I'm having it with every meal, including breakfast. It matches well with any meat, fish & eggs I have on hand. My fondness for Sauerkraut is still strong, but I felt guilty as sin when I saw some on special in the store... and averted my eyes, walked past it to go check if the Kimchi happened to be on special too (it wasn't but I bought the Kimchi anyway). Culinary affairs are a bitch!

15 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Just finished a meal with Kimchi - and some other side ingredients. I'm infatuated with Kimchi and can't get enough of it. After discovering that my local store sells imported Korean Kimchi in large tubs that you'd think will last months, I've found that one barely lasts me a couple weeks. I'm having it with every meal, including breakfast. It matches well with any meat, fish & eggs I have on hand. My fondness for Sauerkraut is still strong, but I felt guilty as sin when I saw some on special in the store... and averted my eyes, walked past it to go check if the Kimchi happened to be on special too (it wasn't but I bought the Kimchi anyway). Culinary affairs are a bitch!

Have you tried making it?  It's a blast!

18 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Have you tried making it?  It's a blast!

No I haven't, it had never crossed my mind, but I've just looked up several recipes and the simplest ones appear really easy to make. Now I'm intrigued, I have everything needed to start making some except for fresh cabbage, chili powder and a suitable container.  

Picked up a 10kg bag of potatoes on monday. So something with potatoes.

Tomorrow something with potatoes.

The day after tomorrow something with potatoes.

The day after, something potatoes.

The day after, you get the idea.

Why do I keep doing this to myself, apart from the fact, that it was too cheap to pass by.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

If you eat 5kg of potatoes a day, you'll be done with them in just 2 days and ready for a sack of something else!

If you eat 9kg of potatoes a day you'll be done with them in barely 24 hours, and in fact you may be hungry after your paltry 1kg potatoes breakfast.  Better to probably just buy 25-35 kg at a time.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:06 AM, Spockydog said:

Going to have haggis for the first time in forty years at the weekend.

I'm thinking baked not boiled, served with assorted, crisp green veggies, parmentier potatoes, and some kind of gravy.

I hated haggis as a child, but now my palate has matured I am really looking forward to it. Om nom nom.

I remember backpacking in Scotland in about 2008, I was in Edinburgh and went into a cafe and said "you know what, f**k it, I'm gonna order a full Scottish breakfast!" Eggs, haggis, you name it.

One of the best things I ever did.

22 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I remember backpacking in Scotland in about 2008, I was in Edinburgh and went into a cafe and said "you know what, f**k it, I'm gonna order a full Scottish breakfast!" Eggs, haggis, you name it.

One of the best things I ever did.

I stopped eating meat etc a couple of years back. But I had some family down from Scotland in the summer and they brought me some top quality haggis. Felt rude not to scoff it.

I basically had to be force fed this stuff when I was a bairn, but OMG, it was delicious!

12 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I do love cauliflower cheese, but it must be hard to enjoy if you struggle with cauliflower. Did you cheese it up to the max?

I’d say so. I added the exact amount of cheese the recipe said. It’s fine, a new recipe is always hit or miss, this was a miss. 

BUT. I have already roasted and puréed a pumpkin and I’m chilling the pie crust in the fridge :commie: 

I love cauliflower, but it took a long time to get over the bad memories of my nanna cooking it for hours (literally, hours) until it was a tasteless beige mush when we would go other house for Sunday dinner when I was younger. But well cooked cauliflower seasoned well or used in the correct recipe is delicious.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Picked up a 10kg bag of potatoes on monday. So something with potatoes.

Tomorrow something with potatoes.

The day after tomorrow something with potatoes.

The day after, something potatoes.

The day after, you get the idea.

Why do I keep doing this to myself, apart from the fact, that it was too cheap to pass by.

"what's, taters, precious?"

"POH-TAY-TOES. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew."

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Mash 'em indeed!

The weather looks like winter will be here soon, so grilling while I still can. Cooking for four, I put a 12oz tenderloin double wrapped in bacon on the grill prepped with some melted butter, olive oil and sea salt and three skewers with a combination of two chicken breasts, one onion and one green pepper marinated in honey, soy sauce and lime juice for a few hours, served with some homemade Yukon gold mashed potatoes. No gravy this time, but it wasn't needed due to the better and juices from the other food. Wish I had cooked up some rolls to go with it. Mint chocolate ice cream was served for dessert. 

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I love cauliflower, but it took a long time to get over the bad memories of my nanna cooking it for hours (literally, hours) until it was a tasteless beige mush when we would go other house for Sunday dinner when I was younger. But well cooked cauliflower seasoned well or used in the correct recipe is delicious.

Gollum, gollum.

Either way, last of the 10kg bag's gone now.

I just hope there's not another bargain for a month. Personally, I prefer rice and pasta over potatoes. But like I said, it was too cheap to pass.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a recipe from the Bob's Burgers recipe book  "A Good Manchego is Hard to Find" in bulk cause my gf had her friends over to our place 

The meat itself I did Ina Garten style, kosher salt and fresh crushed peppercorns with ground mustard powder mixed right into the meat, patties in the freezer for 15 minutes, then right into a cast iron skillet.

Melted manchego over the burgs, topped them with shallots I caramelized low and slow in butter for like 20 minutes, arugula, and fig jam.

now I gotta cook for the group more often lol

Archived