What's for Dinner part 8.

I’m making a leek&potato soup. I can’t wait. I also have some leftover makowy to go with it, and a G&T while I wait for it to cook. It’s actually the third today… I will need quite the holiday season detox in January :leaving: 

I also have a tiny amount of cubed beef in freezer and I’m going to make beef and barley soup next week. I was going to try borscht but I chickened out and didn’t order beetroots. I really want to make borscht but it seems rather complicated and intimidating. And I’m expecting one particular flavor which I obviously won’t be able to replicate, especially on the first try so it’s bound to be a letdown. 

Oh god, people, I just made the worst chicken ever, it was disgusting. I’m certain I screwed up cooking it too, but the recipe itself is repulsive as well. I don’t know, my tastebuds just don’t agree with Dijon mustard. Ugh yuck, I threw the whole thing out and I highly regret even eating the vegetable stew. I had to drink two shots of pálinka to clear the taste from my mouth and disinfect my stomach. Ah yuck, I’m throwing the whole jar of mustard out too. What a fail. 

Been doing the vegitarian thing but fell off the wagon last night, had some friends over and made up about 5 lbs of chicken wings. 

Pretty stoked with the wings, I have the dry rub and bake dialed in right where I want it.  I've gone through phases of smoking them, grilling.  I think my fave are slow roasted in the oven.

Did buffalo, garlic herb, and naked wings last night.  Served with celery and carrot sticks and made up a blue cheese dip that came out great.  Bunch of fresh parsley and a little lemon juice in the dip.

Also made a bean dip and napa / mix greens salad for before hand.  

Now I'm back on the veggie train and doing roast potatoes (red and sweet), fennel, and cabbage for dinner tonight.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 12:19 AM, SpaceChampion said:

What the frak is "white chili"?  Isn't it just chowder??

No.  There should be absolutely no milk or cream in a white chili.  My white chicken chili consists of chicken, chicken broth, whole white beans, mashed white beans (this is what thickens it), green chiles, jalepeno, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Scoop that into a bowl, add some mozzarella to melt over and some tortilla chips for some crunch.  Super easy and absolutely delicious.  Much prefer it to regular chili.

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

No.  There should be absolutely no milk or cream in a white chili.  My white chicken chili consists of chicken, chicken broth, whole white beans, mashed white beans (this is what thickens it), green chiles, jalepeno, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Scoop that into a bowl, add some mozzarella to melt over and some tortilla chips for some crunch.  Super easy and absolutely delicious.  Much prefer it to regular chili.

Most recipes seem to call for heavy cream. 

25 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Most recipes seem to call for heavy cream. 

I didn't find any, but some did call for sour cream - which is one of the only foods I truly dislike.  Even those, though, were in very small quantities compared to the entire pot and a far cry from a "chowder".  I'd definitely recommend trying one w/out milk products.  This is the one I like, though I do add more mashed beans since I like it thick.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228650/easy-white-chicken-chili/

I made a very tasty dessert for dinner with friends on Friday, Mango carpaccio with ginger sugar syrup and ginger ice cream.

I was looking at the “skip the line” featured books at the Toronto Public Library website last Christmas and found a book of desserts by some fancy, five star chef, and borrowed it for a hoot. Most of the recipes were just too complex to bother with (steps and ingredients). I bought stuff for the recipe but we had way too much food at Christmas so I never made it. Two weeks ago I made a stripped down version with very thinly sliced mango and ginger ice cream, since my 3 friends wanted a lower calorie dessert. Then on Friday I made it for 8 of us, adding the ginger syrup, and boy, that kicked up the dessert very nicely. You take 2.6 oz of ginger root that you’ve peeled and grated into a cheesecloth, squeeze it, get about 1/4 cup of juice. Dissolve 1 1/2 cups of sugar in 1 cup of water in a heavy saucepan, and when done add the strained ginger juice. I hadn’t noticed it said make a day ahead, making it the same day was just fine. I poured a mere tablespoon of the syrup over each serving of the mango carpaccio and added the ice cream on top.

The fancy recipe also called for sugared ginger slices and sugar lime peel, but I passed on that, although my friends suggested grating some lime peel over the ice cream would work nicely as well. The recipe also calls for making your own ginger ice cream, but the stuff I found at the organic grocery store is so lovely I couldn’t be bothered. And I don’t have an ice cream maker anyway.

eta: the secret is ripe mangoes 

• 2 weeks later...

Oatmeal is for dinner I suppose. 

Every time I try to not waste food and use up that last carrot/potato/whatever that’s looking a bit wrinkly and aged, I end up dumping the completed meal. I got so caught up checking if the potato was okay that I didn’t even taste or squeeze the carrot. It cooked rubbery and slimy so I guess it was not good to use in the first place. So instead of dumping two carrots, I’m dumping a full saucepan of soup. Every damn time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was going to eat my leftover chicken fried steak.

But the baby sister ate them during her lunch break  (Damn the fates that let her new job be only a 8 minute drive from my refrigerator)

Ramen noodles it is I suppose. 

Mother’s Day. My best friend’s son made ravioli stuffed with butternut squash, with a sauce of butter and sage. Amazing. I made the salad, romaine lettuce with fennel, orange segments, red pepper and green onions, dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette. And a mango cream for dessert, mango blended with a tablespoon of lemon juice, lime juice and orange juice, then with beaten mascarpone added and then whipped cream (whipped with a bit of icing sugar) folded in. Yummy!

A glass of rose cooler, a glass of rose sparkling wine for the toast, and a glass of a beautiful Cotes de Rhône and I am so drunk I’m lying in bed at 9:19 pm because my head is spinning. Maybe 2 glasses of the Cote de Rhône…maybe 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Dal with some rice.

Was actually timed perfectly for the lentils and the rice to be ready at the same time.

Or rather would've been timed, had I turned on the hotplate for the rice, too. :bang:

Ok, now waiting for the rice, letting the lentils cool (rather that than cooking out the flavour).

Then just 5 more mins for the spices and stuff to get fried.

Worked out fine in the end.

Archived