What's for Dinner part 8.

Homemade salsa using three hot peppers, two bell peppers, one onion, cilantro, garlic, two limes, a bit of sugar and vinegar and four tomatoes. 

Took a bit of said salsa and mixed it with olive oil, honey and soy sauce and marinated two chicken breasts in that for a few hours.

Grilled them up with two porterhouses and a half dozen brats. Combined with a fresh hand prepared Caesar salad and some wine and everyone is eating well.

Had a break in the clouds and grilled up Bún Thịt Nướng - my go-to for super easy, fast and delicious.  The key is to marinate your meat (pork or chicken) for a day - otherwise it’s ~15 minutes of grill and noodle boiling time, plus slicing veggies to everyone eating.

Going back to that earlier discussion of white chili and milk, which totally escaped my attention for some reason.

What sorta goofball would mix milk (or something similar) into a chili? Milk is neutralizing the hotness of chili peppers (capsaicin is the chemical within the chili that causes that burning sensation, and its fat soluble, so the fat in the milk is the actual neutralizer). And that entirely defeats the purpose of a bloody chili. 

I am accepting the use of coconut milk with curry paste, when you cook some Thai Curry. That's just how it's done. But seriously, milk and chilies... Drink a glass of milk after your chili, when you overdid it. 

Tomato ragout and some fried feta.

Ragout, is a bit generous for what it actually is. 

Basically more or less fineley chopped tomatoes, an onion, some creme fraiche, some balsamico bianco vinegar, spiced with cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and wee bit of sugar.

Not exactly reinventing high cuisine, but works for me.

The latest two food items in my ever-shifting cycles of want to go to, are ground black pepper >?<  (as opposed to the perennial forms of hot red chilis, from chipotle molido to red chili pepper flakes), and -- baked tofu.  Drained and pressed, extra firm tofu, cut up into 3/4" chunks, tossed with olive oil and low sodium soy sauce -- or hot sauce / salsa of some kind, or anything else one prefers -- coated in corn starch to give the surfaces that lovely crispy cracky outside, while the inside is melty and soft.  Bake at 425° for a half hour. These chunks separately as snax, or incorporate them into stir fries of any kind, or single dish meals. 

I go through periods of latching on to some ingredient or dish; sooner or later that gives way to something else.  The winter before last I was all in with smoked paprika, but haven't used it now since.

:dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Had some champignons left from cooking a Thai curry last weekend. So picked up some bell peppers and salami, added some corn and chilli peppers and decided to do my home made pizza deserved a turn in my dish rotation. Also had an open pack of grated cheese in the fridge, which needed to go away, before it's too late (I don't like foodwaste). Alas, it was too late for the cheese. Fortunately I was on the side of caution and bought a new pack just in case. After checking revealed some green spots in the old cheese pack, it was discarded. Before you ask, yes, I did check the cheese before bringing it in contact with any other ingredient, thus no, I didn't have to throw away anything else.

1 bacon wrapped tenderloin, seasoned with olive oil and sea salt and two chicken breasts, cooked with belle and jalapeno peppers, onions, olive oil, lime juice and some homemade smoky rib seasoning and delicious house Caesar salad with the best cheese. Served with Stella and white wine. Very tasty. 

• 2 weeks later...

Homemade kabob heaven. I cut up two chicken breasts, two thick pork sausages, two jalapenos, one onion and half of a red, green and yellow bell pepper and marinated them in olive oil, honey, soy sauce and minced garlic for six hours or so. Ten minutes both sides on the grill and served on jasmine rice. Turned out quite spicy. 

The heat is on -- 90° + for a few days starting yesterday: home made potato salad, green leaf-avocado-tomato-crouton salad; corn on the cob, cooked ye olde farmer's daughter way, in boiling water. Ice cold beer on the side.

It's still 85°+ about 8 PM.  So it was purrfect.

We're very lucky, since we have had so much rain and cool / coolish weather all year and last year and the year before, so we can weather these temperatures this year.  If we were in drought though -- not so good.  We had a year of drought in 2011-2012, in which it never rained at all until sometime in late fall.  I'll take this humidity and above 90 degrees temp over the same temps and no humidity / rain, any time.

Also, local strawberries are ambrosia this year.

Hot, so no oven, and little cooking, thus couscous with spinach and minced lamb, plus almonds, apricots, raisins,  and eggplant etc.  Prep is rather long, with many steps, but actual cooking takes no time at all.

Lamb had been very high priced -- like $15-$16 a lb., but today it was less than half that.  Guess lamb producers are getting rid of stock due to high price of feed?

Was out all day doing things so I decided to do take-out. Went to a little local restaurant that bravely opened a few months ago, because I had a desire for grilled calamari. They grill it with tomatoes, black olives, capers and other stuff. Decided to add a Caesar salad even though I have stuff in the fridge, just to make the order a bit bigger. Had a glass of white wine while I waited. Gave a 20% tip even though I picked up.

It was wonderful.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived