What's for Dinner part 8.

Just went out to a local Italian restaurant that had the temerity to open during this pandemic. Every two weeks or so I drop $40 or $60 on a take-out dinner, a bit more tonight since I also got a desert, tuxedo cake. My usual is calamari grilled with tomatoes, olives and capers, and a Caesar salad. I also have a glass of Pinot Grigio while I wait.

I could stay and eat, the place is usually pretty empty, but I’d rather eat at home. Nice people, I wonder how long they’ll last.

Something new -- a chickpea (garbanzo) flour pancake with apples and other things, baked in one of my cast iron skillets.  It was an excellent dinner on a night way too early here to be as cold as it is, and has been, for the last 6 - 7 days.  Wine went well with it too.  Partner made a salad.

I think of it as another version of a Tortilla (the Spanish kind filled with potatoes and so on).

• 3 weeks later...

Made some Chicken and Wild Rice Soup and also Spaghetti and Meatballs sometime this week.

Otherwise today we had Dominoes Pizza. Oone was free and it had on it Pepperoni and Cheese Thin Crust and the other one was also Thin Crust and had on it Everything. Also from Dominoes was Habanero and Pineapple Chicken.

I have been eating too many Breakfast Burritos (home made) this week.

TRICK OR TREAT

Regards our eats and the approaching Halloween, we need to avoid passing poisons to the trick-or-treaters-

The Center for Science and Public Interests is recommending we avoid all numbered food dyes.

"

FDA says it causes cancer. Yet it’s in hundreds of candies.

Updated: October 25, 2022

https://www.cspinet.org/sites/default/files/styles/700x530/public/2022-10/red3_detailHero_jb_700x530.jpg?h=61bc1599

Despite the fact that the government concluded that Red 3 causes cancer, food companies continue to use it widely.  Candy company Brach’s alone sells more than 100 different candies with the dye. Besides showing up in Pez and Peeps, Red 3 is used in some varieties of Betty Crocker’s Fruit by the Foot, Dubble Bubble chewing gum, Entenmann’s Little Bites, and Hostess’ Ding Dongs. Albertson’s, Kroger, Meijer’s, Target, and Walmart all use Red 3 in some of their house-brand products. 

CSPI president Dr. Peter Lurie.

CSPI’s advice to parents is to avoid not just Red 3, but all numbered dyes, such as Yellow 5 and Red 40. 

https://www.cspinet.org/press-release/fda-says-it-causes-cancer-yet-its-hundreds-candies

The Biden Administration should get the FDA moving on banning toxic stuff like this.

Yes!  Foodies!

I've been doing a lot of seasoned veggies and game lately.  I've got a vacuum sealer that I use.  I can buy mixed veggies or "borrow" stuff from my sister's garden and preserve it long-term.  I usually throw a small pad of butter in and then whatever seasonings I like and seal them.  The spices are random so it's never the same thing over and over.  If you cut a tiny slit in the vacuum bag, it turns it into a perfect steamer for the microwave, the butter gets all over everything and the spices mix up and it's always perfect.

For meat, I take a few hundred pounds of game a year.  This year I have a bunch of wild pig and black bear, so the focus has been on sausages.  Various mixes of jalapeno, cheddar, blue cheese, etc.  I've got my own hand-crank sausage processor and I cook them in big batches then freeze for heating later, they make great brats and hot dogs.  Basically don't have to buy meat if I don't want, though I love to sous vide salmon, poultry, and good cuts of pork and beef for a treat once in a while.

Something I’ve become fond of this year: zucchini fritters. Why they’re called fritters, I don’t know, they are just a savory pancake. Really easy to make, though a bit time consuming. Grate three peeled zucchini into a dish towel or a piece of cheesecloth, add a sprinkle of salt and let sit for a while in a colander, then squeeze out as much of the water the salt drew out as you can. I used to just try to do it in the colander but the dish towel or the cheesecloth is very helpful. Then add a finely chopped clove of garlic, some pepper, 1/4 cup of flour, some spices, like an Italian or Provence mix, and one beaten egg, mixing it into a goopy mess. Drop a tablespoon or so into a hot frying pan with a bit of olive oil in it and fry like a pancake. You can eat them plain or with a dollop of sour cream, as with potato pancakes. 

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Something I’ve become fond of this year: zucchini fritters. Why they’re called fritters, I don’t know, they are just a savory pancake. Really easy to make, though a bit time consuming. Grate three peeled zucchini into a dish towel or a piece of cheesecloth, add a sprinkle of salt and let sit for a while in a colander, then squeeze out as much of the water the salt drew out as you can. I used to just try to do it in the colander but the dish towel or the cheesecloth is very helpful. Then add a finely chopped clove of garlic, some pepper, 1/4 cup of flour, some spices, like an Italian or Provence mix, and one beaten egg, mixin

Fritter is an amalgam of "fry" and "critter" (critter itself being a vernacularized form of "creature").  So anything you fry in the pan can be a fritter.  

Though why would we call into sentience a mere vegetable mass only to toss it into burning oil and eat it?  Why this added step of giving it animal life with the "critter" element only to consume it?  Why this performative violence?

Those sound delicious, btw

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Something I’ve become fond of this year: zucchini fritters. Why they’re called fritters, I don’t know, they are just a savory pancake. Really easy to make, though a bit time consuming. Grate three peeled zucchini into a dish towel or a piece of cheesecloth, add a sprinkle of salt and let sit for a while in a colander, then squeeze out as much of the water the salt drew out as you can. I used to just try to do it in the colander but the dish towel or the cheesecloth is very helpful. Then add a finely chopped clove of garlic, some pepper, 1/4 cup of flour, some spices, like an Italian or Provence mix, and one beaten egg, mixing it into a goopy mess. Drop a tablespoon or so into a hot frying pan with a bit of olive oil in it and fry like a pancake. You can eat them plain or with a dollop of sour cream, as with potato pancakes. 

Yeah, Zucchini pancakes/fritters. Those are great. You can also use Fondor for seasoning.

13 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Those sound delicious, btw

I was walking past some restaurants today and the smell of curry was in the air. I think I may try the next batch with curry powder as the flavoring.

@BigFatCoward oooh I bought a box of frozen breaded calamari at Costco and had a portion for dinner and they turned out well. The first time I baked them on a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil and it was very messy, the second time I used parchment paper and that worked perfectly, easy to flip half way through and no mess afterwards.

But squid are so damn smart I may have to give up eating calamari, just like I rarely eat pork anymore because, damn, pigs are the smartest creature in the barnyard. Squid are so friggin smart.

Archived