Brown Ben Plumm

The idea I got from his betrayal of Dany is that when he most needed reassurance that her side was the winning side, she refused him on both issues he proposed.

1. She wouldn’t release the dragons which is probably the much more important issue

2. She allowed the sick asapori? Refugees to make camp outside the wall 

And then he gets stuck with those ridiculous daily battle commanders, starts to see barristan is more competent than the other leadership, and as all of that is coming to a head The battle messenger guy demands Tyrion to return as a Slave and Jorah kills him thereby solidifying or forcing the upcoming switch back to dany 

Is that more or less accurate? 

I dont think the betrayal was genuine.

He fought Dany before in Yunaki and got his ass kicked, I doubt hes looking for another chance to fight her.

He did momentarily betray her but I think that was more to appease his men and grab some free loot then save his skin. 

My reasoning is Tyrion. Ben tried a few times to acquire him for the sole reason of helping Dany. This is not the mannerism of a traitor.

Ben knows of the ridiculousness of the slaver commanders and he knows of the exploits of the Bold, he also knows that Yunaki was won with the Stormcrows betrayal, now in Meeren its the 2ndsons turn 

41 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I dont think the betrayal was genuine.

He fought Dany before in Yunaki and got his ass kicked, I doubt hes looking for another chance to fight her.

He did momentarily betray her but I think that was more to appease his men and grab some free loot then save his skin. 

My reasoning is Tyrion. Ben tried a few times to acquire him for the sole reason of helping Dany. This is not the mannerism of a traitor.

Ben knows of the ridiculousness of the slaver commanders and he knows of the exploits of the Bold, he also knows that Yunaki was won with the Stormcrows betrayal, now in Meeren its the 2ndsons turn 

A good point about Tyrion. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumstein said:

BBP is a cautionary example for those who would put all of their stock on sell swords.  I am looking at Aegon.  The Lannisters have more gold.  They can easily buy the Golden Company.

Beneath the gold, the bitter steel. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumstein said:

BBP is a cautionary example for those who would put all of their stock on sell swords.  I am looking at Aegon.  The Lannisters have more gold.  They can easily buy the Golden Company.

Some contracts are writ in blood, not gold. 

Not all the Slavers' forces are useless.  There are about 25,000 soldiers from New Ghis who fight well, and the Company of the Cat and the Windblown are effective (although the latter are about to switch).

Brown Ben's betrayal was genuine, hence Dany's desire to have him assassinated (his being a very distant relative probably hurts her all the more) - but now he wants to switch back, without having her execute him.

14 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Some contracts are writ in blood, not gold. 

Strickland made it clear that whatever contract Toyne made does not have his signature on it. If Aegon starts to fail he certainly could and would turn on him. In the end, those sellswords care more about gold and their lives than about politics.

Illyrio certainly believes his contract is writ in blood, but he has no way of knowing how far blood is going to carry a doomed campaign. Likely not all that far. Their only hope can be that Aegon doesn't suck. If he sucks, they will turn on him very quickly.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:28 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Money talks and shit walks.

Generally yes but not when a group famous for always keeping their promises walks away from a contract to follow a guy who isn't offering them any guarantee of a paycheck. If they're lucky and their side wins, they all get lands, maybe even castles. If they aren't lucky, the ones who aren't dead will have to go back to Essos and start a new company (because no one's going to hire the GC again after they reneged on a done deal to follow some dragon kid with no experience).

Archived