What should be done... about climate change

Rippounet

8 minutes ago, sologdin said:

the major players affected oppose the rollbacks:

FFS.  it's almost as though trump's deregulators and the crapulent koch boys were wanting the planet to heat up, as though they were extraterrestrials terraforming the planet.  or trying to reduce the population to 144,000.  dunno.  tossup for me.

Am looking out the window across the river right now watching a storm approach.  Looks normal except for one funnel cloud forming around what appears to be a MAGA-studded sarcophagus.  Weird.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:53 AM, Triskele said:

It's probably a little outdated, the rhetoric has changed since 2014. Actual climate change denial has gotten a lot rarer, it's only the real fringe of the right wing who go in for full denial. Far more common now is the idea that it's happening, but there's nothing we can do because India and China are polluting so much.

I'd say nationalism is the real issue from a political standpoint. People can't get their heads around trying to see a global issue without using the nation state as the basis, even though that's very limiting when looking at enivronment issues.

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Okay raise your hand if you don't know what a sarcophagus is. Seriously, I can't be the only one.:blink:

archaic word for 'coffin,' usually made of stone. 'sepulcher' is an more archaic word 

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yeah Im surprized I had not heard it used before.

you might need to read more of the old school sword and sorcery tales.  Those authors were fond of digging up ancient words that these days can't even be found in supposedly comprehensive modern thesauruses.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:51 AM, sologdin said:

the major players affected oppose the rollbacks:

FFS.  it's almost as though trump's deregulators and the crapulent koch boys were wanting the planet to heat up, as though they were extraterrestrials terraforming the planet.  or trying to reduce the population to 144,000.  dunno.  tossup for me.

The competency on display from most of these guys is pretty consistent with the characterisation of your latter hypothesis.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:23 AM, mankytoes said:

It's probably a little outdated, the rhetoric has changed since 2014. Actual climate change denial has gotten a lot rarer, it's only the real fringe of the right wing who go in for full denial. Far more common now is the idea that it's happening, but there's nothing we can do because India and China are polluting so much.

Deny. Deny. Deny. Defeated. Avoid responsibility at all costs, and praise yourself for being a practical thinker and not a sheep.

I was on the bus last month and the driver was playing Rush Limbaugh on his iphone. Rush was going on and on about if climate change is real, how is he as just one man able to change nature? If a tornado comes he gets out of the way, if a blizzard comes he bundles up and stays inside, if a rainstorm comes he uses an umbrella. If the weather gets hot, he turns on the AC, uses a freezer/refrigerator. Humans don't change the climate, they just adapt. So basically he excuses himself and everybody listening because just one person can't do anything about it. "Whew, that's a relief! No need to change my lifestyle, and no guilt!"

Totally neglecting that when humans work together they can do things that affect nature, for good or for bad...big industry, the atom bomb, landing on the moon, A.I., curing diseases, biological warfare, preserving/destroying natural habitats, saving from or causing the extinction of other species, etc.

The whole time the bus driver was nodding along and saying "Yep!" "That's right!" "True!"

I just wanted to bang my head against the window.  

See this is an example of what I mean when I say population isn't the main problem: https://www.thepacker.com/article/half-fresh-produce-lost-journey-farm-consumer

the average total loss for all fresh fruit is 58.2% in 2017, combining food loss at both retail and consumer levels. That means more than half of fresh fruit that enters commercial channels is lost to food waste.

The same holds true for fresh vegetables, where the total loss at all levels was calculated at 51.7% for 2017.

>50% of fruit and veg is wasted in the USA. That's crazy, not just the waste of food itself, but the carbon footprint of all that food gone to waste is contributing the climate change with no immediate benefit. The USA won't be alone in this level of food waste.

Important to note, this is food that makes it to the retailer. So it doesn't account for food waste during harvest and pre-retail processing.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

See this is an example of what I mean when I say population isn't the main problem: https://www.thepacker.com/article/half-fresh-produce-lost-journey-farm-consumer

>50% of fruit and veg is wasted in the USA. That's crazy, not just the waste of food itself, but the carbon footprint of all that food gone to waste is contributing the climate change with no immediate benefit. The USA won't be alone in this level of food waste.

Important to note, this is food that makes it to the retailer. So it doesn't account for food waste during harvest and pre-retail processing.

And a lot of the waste pre-retail is just stuff that doesn't 'look good'.  

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Indeed. I worked at a high end grocery store in HS and college, and it was mind blowing how much fresh produce and stuff from the bakery got tossed. They could have at least donated it to a local food pantry or homeless shelter.  

Given the most recent hurricane and the visuals of its aftermath, are we just going to have to give up on island life and living in certain coastal areas? It doesn’t seem prudent to live in areas that will constantly need to be rebuilt as storms continue to become more powerful.

10 hours ago, Mikael said:

Food need to be more expensive.. really, most things need to be more expensive.

Thats just going to punish the least wealthy and not do so much to address the issue. Raising the cost of beef and veggies isnt going to be much of a concern to Alfred in his gas guzzling behemoth, but it might be the difference between a meal or no meal for countless others.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thats just going to punish the least wealthy and not do so much to address the issue. Raising the cost of beef and veggies isnt going to be much of a concern to Alfred in his gas guzzling behemoth, but it might be the difference between a meal or no meal for countless others.

I agree with this. I think prices need to be raised, in the form of taxes, on the junk food stuff that's dirt cheap and not good for anyone.

Fresh fruit and veggies, fish, meat, grains need to be kept inexpensive.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Indeed. I worked at a high end grocery store in HS and college, and it was mind blowing how much fresh produce and stuff from the bakery got tossed. They could have at least donated it to a local food pantry or homeless shelter.  

It's food suppliers and food stores being terrified of lawsuits from selling anything that makes people sick. They don't want to take any chances on people getting sick from food, they'd rather throw it away. We definitely need standards and FDA inspections and requirements, but there needs to be some sort of legal permit for grocery stores and such to be allowed to give away unsold older food. Some sort of permanent red stamp or something that says "this food is no longer to our standards for sale to public, as far as we know this food is safe to consume, but we take no responsibility for any adverse reactions".

But it would be hell trying to work out the legality and such, it's a shame because there is so much perfectly fine food being wasted.

8 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

And much of that could go into processed products. No one cares if a carrot looks like a corkscrew once it's been diced. Skanky strawberries can become jam / jelly.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

It's food suppliers and food stores being terrified of lawsuits from selling anything that makes people sick. They don't want to take any chances on people getting sick from food, they'd rather throw it away. We definitely need standards and FDA inspections and requirements, but there needs to be some sort of legal permit for grocery stores and such to be allowed to give away unsold older food. Some sort of permanent red stamp or something that says "this food is no longer to our standards for sale to public, as far as we know this food is safe to consume, but we take no responsibility for any adverse reactions".

But it would be hell trying to work out the legality and such, it's a shame because there is so much perfectly fine food being wasted.

Oh I know, I was just commenting on the sheer volume of stuff that gets tossed. The bakery would have several garbage bags full of perfectly edible food that they'd have to toss, and the guys in produce sometimes had to throw away entire pallets worth of food because they fell and the fruit got bruised, for example. As to the legality of it all, I really don't think it would be that hard if everyone got on board. Like you said, a simple sticker with a date waving all liability for the store should in theory be enough.

Archived