What should be done... about climate change

Rippounet

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yes, don’t try actively try to do accomplish anything because the problem would just sort itself. It makes sense if you don’t think about it.

But What about the Chinese? How could Americans be expected to change their habits when they’re around? They aren’t trying to actively do anything so why should we? 

Except they’ve been trying to combat more than the recent American administration has; https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1W906Y

Even if they weren't that's a rather poor excuse.

12 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I have a conservative coworker [...]

Talked with him again at days end (rare, we usually don't see each other till the next day).  He'd apparently been listening to some conservative radio and had latched onto the notion that Greta was 'brain damaged' or 'mentally ill'  (maybe somebody here has a clue what right wing screwball he was listening to, but it doesn't matter.)  He couldn't pronounce it correctly, but it was Asperger's, a variant of autism.  Told him that I have a couple of younger autistic quasi-relatives , and while that probably accounted for the perceived 'insensitivity,' it did not affect her reasoning skills.  (story of the autistic ten year old quasi relative who tackled and correctly solved his mothers 2nd year college algebra homework and explained to her where she'd screwed up)

Greta is a thorn in the side of all the people who don't want to do anything about climate change. She makes simple, logical arguments based on solid data and induces a feeling that conservatives hate to experience.

Guilt.

And it's funny that I was randomly musing about guilt yesterday without even making the obvious link with the hatred for Greta because what's at stake with her is precisely how we react to the individual responsibility -and guilt- we have in the whole mess.
Of course it's not surprising that she's going to be loathed on the right. If you think about it, it is a reaction that was no doubt expected. Given the content of her speeches she is fully prepared to bear this hatred for the greater good, which makes her an actual real-life hero.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The longer they waited, the more extreme the actions had to be to address the problem. 

Which is what I was saying a few weeks (or months?) ago. At this point we can still work on this in a democratic consensual fashion, with only a few die-hard conservatives adamantly refusing to act (*insert random petty joke about brains here*).

But the longer we wait the greater the risk that when action is taken it will be... unpleasant.

7 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Nice to know that my intelligence will from now on be measured by my jokes.

*insert random joke about brains and penises here*

20 hours ago, karaddin said:

And he claims his world view is the true fucking Christianity

Please- As Northman has shown true Christians just use their religion to be dicks to others. Like non-heterosexuals. Jailing people  for having same-sex is a true worth while task for a true Christian.

Actually trying to help poor and weak survive and live in conditions befitting human-beings?  Screw that why should a true Christian care about doing that? Totally not a priority for true Christians. It makes sense if you ignore practically  every word Jesus said in regards to treating your fellow man.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Even if they weren't that's a rather poor excuse.

Agreed. It never truly mattered what China was doing. It was always something was something that was meant deflect.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Guilt

Yes. How dare she not promise unicorns? I want to be able to ride out in my fossil fuel consuming Jeep concerning for as long as it’s readily convenient to me without feeling bad. Thinking about how I’m ruining the planet when I fly to Hawaii  for vacation really puts a damper on my mood.

Shes being so inconsiderate.

I’m sarcastic.

35 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Please- As Northman has shown true Christians just use their religion to be dicks to others. Like non-heterosexuals. Jailing people  for having same-sex is a true worth while task for a true Christian.

Oh absolutely. As far as I can tell the only thing he views as central to his religion is dominionism. And those views quite clearly don't only apply to religion which is the unspoken thing behind support for inaction on stopping this problem. I don't know how many subscribe to that view but its far too many and is one of the things that poisons the conversation. They know theyre far from a majority though mostly dont actually give their honest reason.

18 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Right, cuz living in denial is soo logical. 

Hoping that elon fucking musk is going to save us all is so realistic and based on facts and logic. Ugh. 

To be fair throwing a tantrum in front of the UN and telling everyone we need to have net zero carbon emissions by 2025, without offering even the slightest clue of how to achieve that monumental task isn’t particularly helpful either.

Which is why I’ve got one of Elon Musks products ordered and being delivered soon and really couldn’t care much less about the rantings of Greta, if you want people to hear your message it’s probably better to get a spokesperson who,even if they arnt old enough to vote at least isn’t completely lacking in social skills.

At the same time I do agree that more needs to be done to combat climate change, but getting carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 just isn’t achievable without huge changes to peoples every day lives.

I do agree with measures such as redirecting fossil fuel subsidies to renewables instead and doing everything reasonably possible to speed up the transition to a renewable economy. But the time this will require means that it still won’t be enough to achieve the radical targets the climate activists want in the short term.

And I think it is just realistic to accept that a certain degree (pun not intended) of additional warming is therefore unavoidable.

I have to reiterate, however, that once we have transitioned to renewable and nuclear energy coupled with mass battery storage and electric transport, up to 60% and potentially 70% of emissions will have been addressed. That should be the focus. Bringing that about without penalising normal working people in the interim with higher energy, transport and general living expenses should be the goal.

There is a prevailing argument that since certain countries are not responding to the call to combat global warming, that we ask why should we? Its like being in a sinking boat and not bothering to bail out the water because no one else is. Some of us will have to bail faster if we want to stay afloat.

Global warming is a real problem that everyone is affected by. Even if could manage to prevent getting worse, or stop it, we will never get back to where we were before industialiation.

We do need to convince everyone to work towards slowing it ( Global warming ) down.

29 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

To be fair throwing a tantrum in front of the UN and telling everyone we need to have net zero carbon emissions by 2025, without offering even the slightest clue of how to achieve that monumental task isn’t particularly helpful either.

Which is why I’ve got one of Elon Musks products ordered and being delivered soon and really couldn’t care much less about the rantings of Greta, if you want people to hear your message it’s probably better to get a spokesperson who,even if they arnt old enough to vote at least isn’t completely lacking in social skills.

At the same time I do agree that more needs to be done to combat climate change, but getting carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 just isn’t achievable without huge changes to peoples every day lives.

Daddy elon will save us!!. At least greta did make you post in this thread, even though it was nonsense. 

30 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I do agree with measures such as redirecting fossil fuel subsidies to renewables instead and doing everything reasonably possible to speed up the transition to a renewable economy. But the time this will require means that it still won’t be enough to achieve the radical targets the climate activists want in the short term.

And I think it is just realistic to accept that a certain degree (pun not intended) of additional warming is therefore unavoidable.

I have to reiterate, however, that once we have transitioned to renewable and nuclear energy coupled with mass battery storage and electric transport, up to 60% and potentially 70% of emissions will have been addressed. That should be the focus. Bringing that about without penalising normal working people in the interim with higher energy, transport and general living expenses should be the goal.

Have you heard (cuz i doubt you read it) of feedback loops. You are misinformed and maybe delusional?. I sure hope the big daddy capitalist will save us all while i live like nothing is happening. Jesus christ. 

5 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Have you heard (cuz i doubt you read it) of feedback loops. You are misinformed and maybe delusional?. I sure hope the big daddy capitalist will save us all while i live like nothing is happening. Jesus christ. 

I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I acknowledge repeatedly that reducing emissions gradually rather than immediately won't prevent the warming that the activists want to prevent. But we will just have to deal with that. It's not ideal. But it is inevitable.

If we can figure out ways to terraform Mars, we can figure out ways to counter whatever climate feedback loops MIGHT emerge on Earth. Technology is our only realistic hope. Because we simply aren't going to prevent the few degrees of warming that the alarmists say will doom our species to extinction (which it won't, of course).

12 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I acknowledge repeatedly that reducing emissions gradually rather than immediately won't prevent the warming that the activists want to prevent. But we will just have to deal with that. It's not ideal. But it is inevitable.

If we can figure out ways to terraform Mars, we can figure out ways to counter whatever climate feedback loops MIGHT emerge on Earth. Technology is our only realistic hope. Because we simply aren't going to prevent the few degrees of warming that the alarmists say will doom our species to extinction (which it won't, of course).

Lol, this would require vastly more resources and time and effort than just drastically cutting back co2 levels here.  If we can't save this planet no one is even going to make it to Mars, let alone with the money, tech, and resources needed to terraform it.  I love sci-fi too but you've got the cart before the horse pal.

3 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Yeah, for some reason I suspect you're not inclined to listen to her actual arguments in good faith.

How so?, if you read what I said I actually agree with many of them, but the way she goes about presenting them will alienate more people than it will inspire.

3 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Daddy elon will save us!!. At least greta did make you post in this thread, even though it was nonsense. 

I'm not relying on anyone to 'save us' all I did was point out that he has actually done more to combat climate change and air pollution than she has.

Has Greta or XR actually proposed a viable plan to make carbon emissions net zero by 2025?, or has she merely sailed across the Atlantic to scold a lot of world leaders.

1 hour ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

How so?, if you read what I said I actually agree with many of them, but the way she goes about presenting them will alienate more people than it will inspire.

I'm not relying on anyone to 'save us' all I did was point out that he has actually done more to combat climate change and air pollution than she has.

Has Greta or XR actually proposed a viable plan to make carbon emissions net zero by 2025?, or has she merely sailed across the Atlantic to scold a lot of world leaders.

Do you know what an activist is? 

I mean, plans for how to handle climate change have only existed for fucking decades at this point. But yeah, the 16 year old needs to put out a comprehensive plan before we do anything, rather than just light a fire under some asses so that the plans that already exist, and that we know would fucking work, can be implemented.

Archived