A Brooklyn State of Mind

Hivemind, stop what you're doing and listen. I need to stay in Brooklyn for three nights at the end of the summer for a wedding. The wedding is in Brooklyn, but we'll also be spending some time in Manhattan. What are some smart neighborhoods to target with Air B&B? I've never been to NYC as an adult, but I know it's insane to get around at times, and I like to be close to the wedding so I don't risk being late (I'm a groomsman). Also, on that note, I know the groom gives the groomsmen gifts, but do I need to get one for him and the bride? I asked and he said no because it's a destination wedding, but still.

Thoughts?

I'd suggest getting them a gift even if he said you didn't have to.  If they're registered you can just go online and get them a gift card for whatever they prefer for whatever amount you feel comfortable with.

1.  As mentioned, where in Brooklyn the wedding will be is crucial, because I can tell you, getting between places in Brooklyn can actually be pretty hard, particularly if you are using public transit.  

2.  Also, do not rely on the subways to be working correctly to and from Brooklyn on the weekends.  Make sure you are prepared to get an Uber or a Lyft (or a taxi) and that you check how much time you will need to get from place to place.

3. Airbnb may not be your best bet in NYC.  If nothing else, your data may more likely to get out.

4.  There are hotels in NY that don't cost a fortune a night that also are not bedbug infested horror dens (I mean, some of the high end ones are bedbug infested horror dens, so there's that).  Can help a little with that once have a better idea of whether you will be in Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Red Hook, etc. 

5.  Yes, you should get a gift.  It does not have to be expensive.

6.  If you have the time, hit up the BWB :)    

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, on that note, I know the groom gives the groomsmen gifts, but do I need to get one for him and the bride? I asked and he said no because it's a destination wedding, but still.

I can't comment on Brooklyn, but as to the above, as others have said, yes, you should get them a gift.  Do not try to be creative.  If they have a wedding registry just pick out an item from that.  If they don't have a registry just get them a gift certificate to a restaurant in the location of where they will be living after marriage.  And keep it to a price range within your budget.

I’ll swing by my place on my lunch break to find out what neighborhood it’s in, but in the mean time:

28 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

3. Airbnb may not be your best bet in NYC.  If nothing else, your data may more likely to get out.

4.  There are hotels in NY that don't cost a fortune a night that also are not bedbug infested horror dens (I mean, some of the high end ones are bedbug infested horror dens, so there's that).  Can help a little with that once have a better idea of whether you will be in Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Red Hook, etc. 

Really? I’ve never heard of that being a problem outside of people offering their places in buildings that don’t allow it. Currently I’m seeing prices at around $100 a night. Wouldn’t hotels be significantly more than that?

6.  If you have the time, hit up the BWB :)    

I don’t really know much about that, outside of it being how some people meet up.

I might give slightly different advice than Ms. Zabzie. I think AirBnBs in the city can be unbelievable deals. I had friends stay at some truly lovely apartments for under 120 bucks a night. To be sure, you can find good deals in hotels, as there are simply so many of them. I cannot attest to Brooklyn hotels specifically,as I always bartended (often inside hotel bars) on Manhattan. But Brooklyn is enormous, has some really great areas, and will definitely have a lot of options to stay both at a hotel and through AirBnB. 

Since it's your first trip to NYC as an adult, I'd recommend not going too deep into Brooklyn for your stay. Likely you'll have some time to do standard tourist stuff, or want at least somewhat simple transportation to Manhattan. Some parts of Brooklyn can take more than an hour to get into the city, and some parts you can hop a train and be there in 10. This does not always apply to weekend trains.

Don't rely on the MTA for anything you specifically have to get there in time. Google Maps gives, for the most part, very accurate estimates of travel times, but track closures and brief emergencies can suddenly tack on another 20 minutes or half hour to a train ride before the MTA app or Google maps can alert you to the delay. Uber and Lyft are terrific choices outside of peak hours. I still mostly used cabs when I lived there, despite pricing, simply because they tend to be the 20 year cabbies, generally taking the right routes etc. As Zabzie said, getting in and out of Brooklyn on weekends is often super, super lame on the MTAs due to MTA maintenance and construction, whatever routes you'll need, look into reroutes and closures beforehand.

Barclays is somewhat at a corner between neighborhoods of Prospect Heights, Park Slope. and Fort Greene. It's not a bad spot to pin on your map as a very central hub to get to lots of other parts of the borough, and Manhattan as well. Alas I stayed my time in Queens and can't give detailed neighborhood recommendations other than "Get an AirBnB for 110 bucks that's 3 minutes from a major hub".

You're going to have a freakin' blast! Go to a comedy show, burlesque, or jazz club! Off the radar stuff is the best way to get a vibe for the city outside of tourist traps.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ll swing by my place on my lunch break to find out what neighborhood it’s in, but in the mean time:

Really? I’ve never heard of that being a problem outside of people offering their places in buildings that don’t allow it. Currently I’m seeing prices at around $100 a night. Wouldn’t hotels be significantly more than that?

I don’t really know much about that, outside of it being how some people meet up.

Well, you don't know whether a particular building allows it - we've definitely had people removed from my building, but that's probably more of an upper east side co-op thing than a Brooklyn thing.  I was more referring to (increased) risk of data breach because so much is being sloshed around in discovery right now between Airbnb and NYC.  I did a quick check - in late August, the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge looks like it is running $180/night, assuming you are a Marriott Rewards member and you prepay.  You can probably find something at the Doubletree or Holiday Inn in the Financial District for about $160-$170/night, and honestly if you look for deals, might be more like $120, particularly on weekend nights (because that's a business travel heavy area).  I think Williamsburg will be pricier, because trendy.  

And by BWB I just meant let us know if you want to grab a beer :) 

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Well, you don't know whether a particular building allows it - we've definitely had people removed from my building, but that's probably more of an upper east side co-op thing than a Brooklyn thing.  I was more referring to (increased) risk of data breach because so much is being sloshed around in discovery right now between Airbnb and NYC.  I did a quick check - in late August, the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge looks like it is running $180/night, assuming you are a Marriott Rewards member and you prepay.  You can probably find something at the Doubletree or Holiday Inn in the Financial District for about $160-$170/night, and honestly if you look for deals, might be more like $120, particularly on weekend nights (because that's a business travel heavy area).  I think Williamsburg will be pricier, because trendy.  

And by BWB I just meant let us know if you want to grab a beer :) 

It appears it is indeed in Williamsburg at a place called MyMoon (looks really nice). $180 isn’t terrible, but I’ve seen some as low as under $100. I plan to spend as little time in my room is possible, so I don’t need anything special.

Also, it just hit me, what’s the best airport to fly into. Everything I’ve read just agrees that JFK is a terrible airport.

And normally I’d say hell yeah let’s get a beer, but I don’t think I’ll have time. It’s pretty much Thursday night rehearsal and dinner, Friday is Wedding stuff starting at noon and then Saturday is a giant second party. I don’t even think I’ll get to do too much touristy stuff unless I fly in on Wednesday.

1.  I would find a place to stay in Williamsburg, in that event.  You may do best with Air bnb in Williamsburg.  It is actually remarkably hard to get from Williamsburg to other parts of Brooklyn.  You should expect the L (the main subway line) to be closed on the weekends, more or less.  My sister lives off the Graham Ave. stop, and yeah, you are almost certain to be better off with an Uber/Lyft/Cab on the weekend.

2. Pick the best flight for you.  Don't fly into Newark if you are going to be in Brooklyn.  I actually prefer JFK these days given the amount of construction at LGA, but tomato, tomahto.  If you are going to be in BK, it is easier than trying to get in and out of the city.

3.  Pity about the beer.  Next time.

There are a bunch of hotels right around where MyMoon is, most of which have opened within the past few years. Probably not cheap, though places like Pod Brooklyn are reasonable, though you get smaller rooms in exchange. Honestly, if you stay in walking distance of MyMoon, you probably won't need to worry about taxis and transport except for getting to and from the airport. There are tons of restaurants, bars, etc. in that area. So you might pay a little more for the room, but you'll save a bunch on car fare.

I'd consider flying into LGA, as depending on when you arrive and depart, it could be a pretty quick cab ride. (Well, quick by cabs from NYC area airport standards - Google Maps says 17 minutes right now, at 9pm on a Monday. JFK is 30 minutes by comparison.)

Oh, and you could also take a look at VRBO for places to stay.

Tickets and lodging are officially booked. I managed to get a place just three blocks away from the venue for $130 a night plus fees, which I think is a steal given all the other savings that comes with it, and the place is really nice looking. Next up is to buy a nice new suit and a gift for the bride. Other than that I’m good to go. Thanks for all the advice guys!

• 5 weeks later...

Ah, the big day is arriving. Wheels up tomorrow morning! I'm looking forward to exploring the city and trying not to vomit the first time I go up on the roof. Apparently I get a direct shot of the sun setting on the Upper East Side skyline.

That was easily one of the best trips of my life. When the low point is merely making out with the hottest woman at the wedding, and having her suck on your fingers when you got distracted talking to friends, yeah, safe to say I had a good time.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 11:40 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I actually prefer JFK these days given the amount of construction at LGA, but tomato, tomahto.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, Mr. X said:

I'd consider flying into LGA, as depending on when you arrive and depart, it could be a pretty quick cab ride. (Well, quick by cabs from NYC area airport standards - Google Maps says 17 minutes right now, at 9pm on a Monday. JFK is 30 minutes by comparison.)

Any advice on getting in and out of LGA these days?  Travel between LGA and Grand Central.  I read about the cab situation at Terminal B with the line to the shuttle to the line to the cabs and that sounds awful.  I was looking about to see if that airport express bus that used to exist that left from Park Avenue just south of Grand Central still exists but Google street view shows me that that strip of street is now pedestrian only.

55 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Any advice on getting in and out of LGA these days?  Travel between LGA and Grand Central.  I read about the cab situation at Terminal B with the line to the shuttle to the line to the cabs and that sounds awful.  I was looking about to see if that airport express bus that used to exist that left from Park Avenue just south of Grand Central still exists but Google street view shows me that that strip of street is now pedestrian only.

Uber worked just fine for me. 

Archived