A Brooklyn State of Mind

18 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

That is what I was going to suggest.  There's a special uber pickup spot.  

Yeah and it's a giant cluster****. Getting there as a first timer was annoying, but otherwise it was fine. Uber got there in five minutes. Honestly I was surprised how easy it was to move around NYC. I've heard stories about how it takes forever to move around in Manhattan, but it was cake. 

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Uber worked just fine for me. 

I actually will not use Uber or Lyft. But yeah I know they all work fine. Just looking for advice or horror stories about getting in and out of there due to the construction. I’ve read some real traffic horror stories recently on twitter that remind me of the 1970s at holidays when sometimes we had to get out of the cab on the expressway and walk to the terminal!

3 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Any advice on getting in and out of LGA these days?  Travel between LGA and Grand Central.  I read about the cab situation at Terminal B with the line to the shuttle to the line to the cabs and that sounds awful.  I was looking about to see if that airport express bus that used to exist that left from Park Avenue just south of Grand Central still exists but Google street view shows me that that strip of street is now pedestrian only.

The bus still exists. Or at least this one does: https://www.nycairporter.com

They drop you off on Lexington instead of Park, but otherwise it's the same deal.

You can also do public transit the whole way with the Q70 bus to the 7 train at Roosevelt/74th st. The 7 takes you right to Grand Central. Haven't done that in a long while, but in theory it's improved since the Q70 is one of the "Select Bus Service" routes now where you use your Metrocard to get a timestamped ticket you hold onto as proof of fare (very European style) and where you travel in dedicated lanes.

There's also the M60 bus to the 4/5 trains at 125th in Manhattan. Grand Central is then 3 stops down.

2 hours ago, Mr. X said:

The bus still exists. Or at least this one does: https://www.nycairporter.com

Thanks so much!  Looks less regular than decades past but good to know its still around.  I have done the subway/bus route before but its not a good option for my parents this time around.

It's kind of funny/sad that I had to even ask this question.  I had a babysitting job when I was in college where I took a girl to LGA every Friday afternoon to put her on a plane so she could go spend the weekend with her father.  Of course it was so long ago that I could just go right out to the gate with her with no ticket or ID or paper authorization to do so.  I used to be a pro at getting in and out of LGA on public transportation.  But things change.

Archived