U.S. Politics: Trump of the Will

2 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

So apparently some cops had some water thrown on them, which is apparently such a big deal the hashtag "respectthepolice" is now trending. Because cops getting wet is a big deal, black people being murdered by cops and cops assisting actual fascists, not so much.

In better news the 9/11 victim fund bill passed, without a time limit this time. Surprising no one one of the two douchebags to vote against it was Rand Paul. Maybe we can get #RandPaulHatesAmerica trending.

petty and unnecessarily divisive. if we are going to heal this country, we should all try to treat folks like paul a little more...neighborly 

17 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

So apparently some cops had some water thrown on them, which is apparently such a big deal the hashtag "respectthepolice" is now trending. Because cops getting wet is a big deal, black people being murdered by cops and cops assisting actual fascists, not so much.

In better news the 9/11 victim fund bill passed, without a time limit this time. Surprising no one one of the two douchebags to vote against it was Rand Paul. Maybe we can get #RandPaulHatesAmerica trending.

Fuck them. You know, after the AOC comment, the first "official" response was, "We're not sure at this time if it was a threat." Everyone else just has to flinch wrong and they'll be shot. Doing away with the police and starting over is really necessary in the U.S.

Yeah, the very rapey Supreme Court did this. Because corporate leaders being able to rape employees is very important to America.

This Woman Was Charged $185,000 In Her Own Sexual Harassment Case
Karen Ward wants justice for how she was treated by Ernst & Young. So far all she’s gotten are huge bills for arbitration proceedings she was forced into.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sexual-harassment-ernst-young-arbitration-bill_n_5d371887e4b004b6adb65597

First, Karen Ward was sexually harassed by her boss. When she spoke up, the former Ernst & Young partner faced retaliation. Then, she was fired.

Now, Ward, 49, is fighting back — but it’s costing her an astonishing amount of money just to bring her case to court. 

REAL LIFE. REAL NEWS. REAL VOICES.
Help us tell more of the stories that matter from voices that too often remain unheard.
Subscribe Now
She’s paid $185,000 so far to have judges hear her sexual harassment and discrimination complaint against EY, a firm that pulls in billions of dollars of revenue annually, according to a complaint Ward filed last week in federal court.

“How many victims will even be able to afford to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to have their claims heard?” Ward and her lawyers ask in the court filing. 

These bills have piled up because Ward’s harassment case is in arbitration, a private court outside the public justice system, where suits are heard by retired judges or lawyers who bill parties sometimes as much as $1,000 an hour to hear their cases. Ward’s case is being heard by a panel of three arbitrators.

Ward’s employment contract with EY contained a forced arbitration clause, something companies often include in part to prevent allegations from former employees from becoming public. 

If Ward had been able to file her initial harassment claims publicly in New York, where EY is based, it would have cost $450. 

Ward is arguing that the high arbitration costs render the employment agreement unenforceable and is seeking the right to take her suit to open court. 

Ward and her lawyers say her fight against the high fees isn’t just about her; she’s able to pay these fees, so far, with her savings. 

“Ms. Ward is pursuing her claims because of her firm belief that discrimination and retaliation of any form is wrong and cannot go unaddressed,” Michael Willemin, a partner at New York law firm Wigdor who is representing Ward, told HuffPost. “EY knows this will cause other women to never bring these kinds of claims. They know how they’ll be treated.”

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I think that this sentiment is fairly widespread on the left, and if perhaps not quite to this degree with everyone, the same sentiment just maybe a difference in degree.

How much will Harris' opponents try to bring this up?  Prosecutor and not cop, of course, but not a great place to launch from in this environment overall.  Not sure that it's something she can't overcome, but I have to think given this sentiment that she'll be tested on it.  

yeah, it’s definitely something she should answer for, but as mentioned before in this thread, america still lives it’s cops and law and order shit, but clear messaging about her record as d.a. (not just the truancy thing, but trans prisoners, drug sentencing, slave labor firefighters, etc), beyond simply “kamala harris is a cop” could and should put her in an uncomfortable place 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/ice-raids-immigrants-families-arrest-trump

When asked whether the increased guidance given to immigrants on how to interact with ICE caused a dip in the number of individuals arrested, Albence suggested it had

bad ass. while ice’s continued existence and operations still creates terrible chilling  and intimidating effect on families, such abysmal stats is cause for cautious hope. 

and of course, direct action gets the goods https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/us/nashville-neighbors-help-prevent-ice-arrest/index.html

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

This is where a foreigner needs help understanding US law.

Trump filed suit against NY and their law regarding tax returns, as a violation of his First Amendment rights.

Huh???

Maybe that it's protected by religious freedom since the only thing he worships is money

This is a pretty harrowing read, but there are solutions, unlikely though they are, at the end of the thread.  Then as a bonus she analyses the Mueller report -- I've yet to read that but i think she's pointing out the connections between what went on and Russia's tactics and strategies from the handbook..

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

I think that this sentiment is fairly widespread on the left, and if perhaps not quite to this degree with everyone.

How much will Harris' opponents try to bring this up?  Prosecutor and not cop, of course, but not a great place to launch from in this environment overall.  Not sure that it's something she can't overcome, but I have to think given this sentiment that she'll be tested on it.  

Edited for clarity.  

I think the issue with Harris, is she styled herself "Top Cop." I don't know how that will go over if someone decides to push against her on that. Hillary's comment about "super predators" in the 1990s came back to haunt her, and while I think that was overblown (though, instead of defending it, I think admitting you have changed and understand why that was harmful might be the best tactic), I wonder about Harris' record if someone decides to really go after her.

In her case, I don't know what her values are. Is it true that most of her career she was forced to make compromises that were deeply against her beliefs, and that when she finally became a senator, she could move to a more progressive agenda? I'd say that even the strongest willed person couldn't exist in such a destructive culture as law enforcement without being changed in some ways. I think you can come out resolved to change the corruption you saw, but we've never heard her say that. 

Then again, pissing off the police unions could be problematic too. I don't know what's right for her, but I think if she gets through the primaries without it being an issue, wins the nom, then it won't be a problem. 

Edit: And to be clear Trisk, I'm with you that I think calling her a cop is a weak argument, but this is politics, and we've seen catch phrases ruin political aspirations. What'd Jeb infamously say? "Please clap" or something? I mean, while his campaign was struggling, that phrase stuck to him. 

2 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Is it just me or is Mueller not coming across well? It doesn't come across as cautious, but rather not being in total command of the facts. Please say it's just me.

His age is clearly showing. 

Is it just me or is Mueller not coming across well? It doesn't come across as cautious, but rather not being in total command of the facts. Please say it's just me.

HE MADE IT ALL UP MUELLER LIED

So does that mean there is collusion? Looney Toon land can be so confusing.

I'm not doubting Mueller, but Trump will run with this.

Doesn’t matter, Dems got Mueller to say he didn’t clear Trump. That’s the most you could ask for.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

HE MADE IT ALL UP MUELLER LIED

So does that mean there is collusion? Looney Toon land can be so confusing.

Jaceland is infinitely more confusing.

8 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

No, it's not just you. My first impression was that he sounded consistently confused and bumbling, but I sincerely hope that he's just being overly cautious about what he says.

6 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I'm not doubting Mueller, but Trump will run with this.

I'm positive he will, but I think we should stop overly worrying about this as history has shown that Trump will run with ANYTHING whether he has facts to back it up or not and his cult of rabid, hooting jackals will eat it all up regardless. 

Yeah, but we need to reach those that aren't solidly Trump's base. Appearances matter because god forbid people actually care about this or educate themselves beyond quick sound bites.

17 minutes ago, Durckad said:

No, it's not just you. My first impression was that he sounded consistently confused and bumbling, but I sincerely hope that he's just being overly cautious about what he says.

He's likely also constrained on some matters by the justice department.  But he's geting asked questions about a pretty massive report that was the result of a huge team, with no prep time.  That's got to be tough.

edit:

and most of the "questions" aren't even questions, just people shouting out their prepared statements.

Archived