Did nobody ever read a Stark family tree?

So Varys says that Jon won’t be okay with having sex with his aunt because he’s been raised a Stark. But here’s the thing, there are a couple uncle-niece marriages in the family tree; Jonnel and Edric Stark married the daughters of their brother Rickon, named Sansa and Serena. Heck, Ned Stark’s own parents Rickard and Lyarra were cousins. Point is, incest isn’t exactly a new concept for the Starks.

• 5 weeks later...

Something is off with those Uncle/Niece marriages though. We don't have that full story. First, they follow Cregan who lived a very long time and had multiple wives with multiple issue. This made the girls and their uncles only 'half' related. They share only Cregan as an ancestor. This may be why it was allowed. I may be off here, but I wonder if it was an Alys Karstark situation. Cregan died and these girls were the heirs to House Stark. The two half uncles married them to consolidate power in the House. It never happened again and seems an extraordinary circumstance with these two brothers and two sisters. 

Cousins are common though. Tywin and Joanna were cousins. Had things been more out in the open Jon could have easily married one of the Stark girls.

6 minutes ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

Something is off with those Uncle/Niece marriages though. We don't have that full story. First, they follow Cregan who lived a very long time and had multiple wives with multiple issue. This made the girls and their uncles only 'half' related. They share only Cregan as an ancestor. This may be why it was allowed. I may be off here, but I wonder if it was an Alys Karstark situation. Cregan died and these girls were the heirs to House Stark. The two half uncles married them to consolidate power in the House. It never happened again and seems an extraordinary circumstance with these two brothers and two sisters. 

Cousins are common though. Tywin and Joanna were cousins. Had things been more out in the open Jon could have easily married one of the Stark girls.

I guess my point is that incest is something that is not unheard of amongst the Starks.

Archived