Lee Child’s Jack Reacher tv series on Amazon

AncalagonTheBlack

Deadline reports that “In a competitive situation, Amazon has landed the rights to develop a script-to-series drama based on the Jack Reacher character from Lee Child’s bestselling book series, from Scorpion creator Nick Santora. The project will be a co-production of Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television.”

So,will they finally cast Reacher as described in the books, or will they go for a known name who most likely will not match the character description.I can't think of a decent actor who matches the books description physically.

Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest.

"His face looked like it had been chipped out of rock by a sculptor who had ability but not much time."

he is described as having "a six-pack like a cobbled city street, a chest like a suit of NFL armor, biceps like basketballs, and subcutaneous fat like a Kleenex tissue."

53 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

How old is Reacher supposed to be?

From the author site:

"Lee and the producers are looking for an actor (preferably lesser-known) who is in the 30-55 age range (don't forget, Reacher is 36 in Killing Floor and there are the prequel novels to consider), BIG and muscular (near to 6'5" / 240 lbs. with hands like frozen supermarket chickens). Soon as the casting is decided, we'll let you know! "

So i guess that answers my question.

13 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

From the author site:

"Lee and the producers are looking for an actor (preferably lesser-known) who is in the 30-55 age range (don't forget, Reacher is 36 in Killing Floor and there are the prequel novels to consider), BIG and muscular (near to 6'5" / 240 lbs. with hands like frozen supermarket chickens). Soon as the casting is decided, we'll let you know! "

So i guess that answers my question.

:lol: I don't know what that means, but it's funny

That was a distraction in the movies, Tom Cruise playing a character that is described vividly in each book as being massive and very imposing.

If they do as good a job with this as they did with Jack Ryan I will be a big fan.

I had a manager who was really into those books, but wasn't really online much. When I told him they cast Cruise, he thought I was taking the piss. Ranted to me throughout its theatrical run what a ruinous casting choice they made. I can only think of athletes for the role, like if John Cena wasn't such a terrible actor, and also was, well, scary looking instead of looking like an enormously muscled boy scout.

Whoever they sign could also play Logen Ninefingers, perhaps. 

Trump could play Jack given his gigantic hands. Could shut all the naysayers up.

At this point is it only a matter of time before they remake 24? Amazon clearly likes spy/detective thrillers featuring Jack.

Or if they'd be willing to break the Jack fixation they could do the matthew Scudder (walk amongst the tombstones) adaptation. Might be a good option when Bosch finishes.

Wonder when jack Ryan season 2 lands? If not already done it could ne a while now that quiet place 2 is filming.

48 minutes ago, red snow said:

Trump could play Jack given his gigantic hands. Could shut all the naysayers up.

At this point is it only a matter of time before they remake 24? Amazon clearly likes spy/detective thrillers featuring Jack.

Or if they'd be willing to break the Jack fixation they could do the matthew Scudder (walk amongst the tombstones) adaptation. Might be a good option when Bosch finishes.

Wonder when jack Ryan season 2 lands? If not already done it could ne a while now that quiet place 2 is filming.

Most rumors say late this year, as it has been in production, and will likely be completed soon. I've also seen mention of renewal already. John Krasinski recently signed a larger deal with Amazon, to work on other projects, too. 

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Most rumors say late this year, as it has been in production, and will likely be completed soon. I've also seen mention of renewal already. John Krasinski recently signed a larger deal with Amazon, to work on other projects, too. 

He's probably a good creator to have on board if "a quiet place" is anything to go by.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Fox tried it and only made it one season. I liked it though... :( 

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

Someone like JJ Watt from the Houston Texans, has the look, size and athletic ability, just need that whole acting thing to go along with it.

Goalkeepers are probably selected for height and giant hands too so if any of them have ever branched out into acting it could be a good chance.

It seems that whoever they cast, it will at least be closer than tom cruise.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Fox tried it and only made it one season. I liked it though... :( 

It completely passed me by. I think it was a bit too soon as the main show had only just finished when they tried. I know i was 24'd out by then. It seems like it'd be the ultimate binge release show. Although they'd have to factor out ad breaks etc so that it was 24 hours.

IIRC from the inevitable reactions to the first movie, the author was fine with casting Tom Thumb Cruise. In the books, Reachers size was a device to show indomitability, and Child expressed that there were other ways of conveying that on screen.

Though I hear truckloads of money is an excellent salve to most grievances, so grain of salt and all that.

2 hours ago, lacuna said:

IIRC from the inevitable reactions to the first movie, the author was fine with casting Tom Thumb Cruise. In the books, Reachers size was a device to show indomitability, and Child expressed that there were other ways of conveying that on screen.

Though I hear truckloads of money is an excellent salve to most grievances, so grain of salt and all that.

And tom cruise gets films made. I guess cruise is indomitable in terms of persona and intensity

How’re the episodes gonna go? Reacher goes to a new place, gets involved with some random problem, sleeps with some chick, then kills people until the problem is solved?

(sorry, I just spoiled every single Jack Reacher book written)

Edit: For serious. Are they gonna do a series based off the books stories, or just take the character? 

If they do use the book plots, then how many episodes per novel?

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Goalkeepers are probably selected for height and giant hands too so if any of them have ever branched out into acting it could be a good chance.

It seems that whoever they cast, it will at least be closer than tom cruise.

It completely passed me by. I think it was a bit too soon as the main show had only just finished when they tried. I know i was 24'd out by then. It seems like it'd be the ultimate binge release show. Although they'd have to factor out ad breaks etc so that it was 24 hours.

I know he wasn't a goalie but a Vinnie Jones type? At least he showed he can act in front of a camera. I don't know if he could lose the accent though. 

• 5 months later...

Amazon green-lights Jack Reacher series

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jack-reacher-series-a-go-at-amazon-1269524

Amazon has given a series order to Jack Reacher, a drama based on the best-selling series of novels by Lee Child. The show will air on the tech giant's Prime Video streaming platform, with a premiere date yet to be determined. The first season will be based on the inaugural Reacher novel, The Killing Floor.

The project grew out of a script-to-series deal, with Scorpion creator Nick Santora adapting Child's book series about a military veteran who lives a nomadic life as a freelance investigator and problem solver. The show could be a big franchise for Amazon: Child has written more than 20 novels featuring the character, which have collectively sold more than 100 million copies and have been translated in 49 languages.

The project comes from Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television Studios — the same trio behind Jack Ryan, another action-oriented drama based on a best-selling series of novels

Even more important, not to do with Reacher what They did with Jack Ryan 2.

Mamoa should be available as surely that ... that ... I don't even know what to call that See thing on Apple has died the death.  :D  While surely Cavill isn't available. :D

Archived