MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

I finally saw Spiderman: Far From Home and I really liked it. Predictably they brushed off the Snap but I liked Aunt May's little role (hence the thread title - sorry, couldn't think of anything witty). The villain was good (and contemporary), and I enjoyed the fun awkwardness of the relationships between Peter and MJ, Aunt May and Happy, Peter and Happy etc. It was nicely grounded in the MCU with lots of wider references but it still felt genuinely like a teen movie as well.

Re: Portman as female Thor, I would be disappointed if she transformed up into some Gal Gadot-like Amazonian goddess. I think there's plenty of room for a Thor who is small, agile, and still plenty strong who can wield the Hammer and lightning. Heck, even a microscopic Ant-Man can be shown to knock ordinary-sized guys off their feet so surely a small human-sized person can do that too.

I like the direction the MCU is going in. Diversifying and widening the base, and not diving headfirst into another massive arc. We need a bit of a breather after the epic storyline of Thanos and it's a good time to introduce new characters, while still giving fans some of the old favourites like Thor, Black Widow and Dr Strange with some interesting new team-ups (e.g. Strange and Scarlet Witch). As has been mentioned previously by others I expect Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 are being held back until later as those two characters are probably going to be core parts of the second team (whether it's called the Avengers or not), and it wouldn't surprise me if CM's involvement with space stuff is the genesis of the next major story arc.

It will be interesting to see who indeed is part of the "core" going forward. By sheer dint of their name recognition and being early on in the piece, Iron Man and Captain America were the unofficial co-leaders of the first three phases but it's unclear what happens next or if the MCU goes with more of a purely ensemble effect. In some respects it's actually a bit of a shame that we didn't get to explore more of Black Widow being in charge, though maybe we'll get some of that in her movie. Hulk, Thor and Hawkeye of the originals don't have the gravitas or weight to pull it off, Fury is not a superhero, while Strange, CM and to a lesser extent T'Challa seem like characters with very independent agendas.

"Loki has 3 kids, i remember.  One was the world serpent? Another Fenrir.  Hela the third?  Then why do I also remember him getting knocked up while disguised as a female horse.   But that would mean 4 kids.   Too late for this shit, bed time yo.". 

I think he had his first three children with the giantess angrboda. And he gave birth to sleipnir, while in the form of a female horse. 

I am also curious to see how a new team of Avengers pans out. Right now it doesn’t seem to have that obvious combination of characters who have relationships to bounce off of each other. 

I also hope they don’t try and make someone like Dr Strange team leader as he just seems to be too much of an arrogant arse to be a leader, and they would have learnt from that mistake by now. Cap Marvel seems obvious choice to lead but so far her character has been poorly written and undeveloped so with improvement that would make the most sense. Maybe they aren’t even thinking of things like this yet, but cross overs and team movies should be a core part of what makes these properties so great.

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

I think he had his first three children with the giantess angrboda. And he gave birth to sleipnir, while in the form of a female horse. 

Those whacky Norse.  What’ll they think of next?!!?

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I am also curious to see how a new team of Avengers pans out. Right now it doesn’t seem to have that obvious combination of characters who have relationships to bounce off of each other. 

I also hope they don’t try and make someone like Dr Strange team leader as he just seems to be too much of an arrogant arse to be a leader, and they would have learnt from that mistake by now. Cap Marvel seems obvious choice to lead but so far her character has been poorly written and undeveloped so with improvement that would make the most sense. Maybe they aren’t even thinking of things like this yet, but cross overs and team movies should be a core part of what makes these properties so great.

It is odd for sure.  T’Challa could be a leader, but the one thing about this next round is that each of them very clearly have their own specific area to protect.  Wakanda.  The magical realms.  Everywhere in the universe but Earth.  Honestly, I just don’t see anything about this next phase that indicates a “team.”

With the exception of Thor, the original team all could float quite a bit more.  Which is why it was ridiculous that no one helped out in Ironman 3.  But it won’t be an issue in BP2 to wonder why no one is coming to help.

One thing I hadn’t thought of... with Scarlet Witch being a major part of the Multiverse in Dr Strange 2; could they use that as a vehicle to bring back Quicksilver?

Shhhhhhh!      You didn't see that coming, did you?   Yes.  You did.

Also, the thing about how the stuff never happens the way we expect it to.   So if we've been given dark phoenix wanda expectations, they'll probably be happy to let us yak about that for the next three years and then they'll go a different direction, like she's trying to stop it the whole time.   Isn't dark phoenix fatigue widespread?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

One thing I hadn’t thought of... with Scarlet Witch being a major part of the Multiverse in Dr Strange 2; could they use that as a vehicle to bring back Quicksilver?

You'd think if she was bringing some form of Vision back for Wandavision she'd bring her twin back in some form too.

9 hours ago, Jeor said:

I like the direction the MCU is going in. Diversifying and widening the base, and not diving headfirst into another massive arc. We need a bit of a breather after the epic storyline of Thanos and it's a good time to introduce new characters, while still giving fans some of the old favourites like Thor, Black Widow and Dr Strange with some interesting new team-ups (e.g. Strange and Scarlet Witch).

I agree that it is good that they aren't immediately building up another threat to the world/universe, I wouldn't want it to go for the Dr Who approach where every year there's a new threat to all existence because it quickly gets a bit tedious.

3 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

"Loki has 3 kids, i remember.  One was the world serpent? Another Fenrir.  Hela the third?  Then why do I also remember him getting knocked up while disguised as a female horse.   But that would mean 4 kids.   Too late for this shit, bed time yo.". 

He also has one or two children (depending on which myth you look at) with his wife Sigyn.

Loki being Loki there are probably plenty of other little Lokis that nobody knows about - I suspect this is true for both myth-Loki and Marvel-Loki.

Someone in the old thread mentioned Norse myths about Thor turning into a woman. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he only dresses up as one - the frost giants have stolen his hammer and will only give it back if Freya marries their king, so Loki persuades Thor to disguise himself as Freya so that they can go and steal it back. The disguise is apparently really convincing, despite Thor's refusal to shave off his beard.

28 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Someone in the old thread mentioned Norse myths about Thor turning into a woman. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he only dresses up as one - the frost giants have stolen his hammer and will only give it back if Freya marries their king, so Loki persuades Thor to disguise himself as Freya so that they can go and steal it back. The disguise is apparently really convincing, despite Thor's refusal to shave off his beard.

Shhh ...your facts will aggravate the incels 

This was the one i was referencing yes

That's how neil gaiman told it in his version as well. Norse and greek myths are fare more chill with cross-dressing, sexual fluidity and even across species.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Those whacky Norse.  What’ll they think of next?!!?

Quite frankly compared to some other ancient pantheons like the Greek and Egyptian ones, given birth to an eight legged horse is pretty tame.

15 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Surely there will be a Spiderman movie in 2021 for Sony to avoid losing their rights to the character.

Are you sure? The deal they made with Marvel was never made public, but I figured Sony doesn't have to worry about that until after the third one. 

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

From what I read Sony is the one that gets to announce when the next Spidey comes out, so that's why it wasn't mentioned, but yeah Holland has one more MCU movie on his contract.

And if Sony doesn't decide to renew, phase five starts with Night Monkey: Monkey of the Night. 

10 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Surely there will be a Spiderman movie in 2021 for Sony to avoid losing their rights to the character.

I think they have more than 2 years. I think it was every 5?

The specific deal with Marvel could be very different though.

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, from what I read Sony is enjoying the moneys though so they will probably renew...but this IS Sony....

I've forgotten the name of the sony spidey producer but she instantly got the marvel deal off to a bad start making claims in front of feige that he'd clearly never heard until then. She also suggested they wouldn't need marvel if spidey franchise was revitalised.

It's a tricky one to call, venom and spider-verse have been successes (even if venom wasn't a critical hit) and far from home is the healthiest box office they've had for a while reversing the downward trend the franchise was suffering. 

I think sony will be cheeky and try to get a better deal knowing that Disney benefit from owning merchandise rights of spidey and that the character is currently unique to their line-up. But they need to tread carefully as Disney benefits from the merchandise irrespective of their involvement in making spidey films. I think sony will wait until they have venom, spider-verse and morbius sustaining franchises before parting ways with marvel.

Archived