MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

I don't really know the terms of the Sony/MCU deal but it seems that Sony get the revenue from any Spidey MCU picture.

If that's so, from Sony's point of view it's probably not worth the risk to try and pull Spidey out of the MCU and base their own universe on him. The secondary Spiderman characters just don't have the name recognition to pull it off (Morbius? Black Cat maybe. Some of the Sinister Six, maybe). With the MCU, Sony know that they're going to get a much more consistent product and fanbase, and hence revenue.

Whatever the revenue agreement, and I'm sure Sony has profited a lot from these Spiderman movies, they're still supporting a rival company's shared universe while trying to create their own. Sooner or later I'm guessing they'll pull the plug on Spiderman in the MCU. Which is fine by me- it's been fun to have Spiderman in the mix, especially in Infinity War, but both of the standalone movies have been pretty by the numbers MCU movies. One more Spiderman movie and some appearances in a couple other MCU movies seems about right before retiring this version of the character. 

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

I don't really know the terms of the Sony/MCU deal but it seems that Sony get the revenue from any Spidey MCU picture.

If that's so, from Sony's point of view it's probably not worth the risk to try and pull Spidey out of the MCU and base their own universe on him. The secondary Spiderman characters just don't have the name recognition to pull it off (Morbius? Black Cat maybe. Some of the Sinister Six, maybe). With the MCU, Sony know that they're going to get a much more consistent product and fanbase, and hence revenue.

I'm fairly sure Sony does not want to pull him out of the MCU at all. They just want to be able to put him in Venom II, Morbius and their other movies and profit off this version of the character's popularity. 

My understanding is that the deal with Marvel was for five movies with Spiderman in them, and there's now been five movies. So Sony has to be proactive to some extent; even if they want to keep him in the MCU for now, they need to negotiate what the terms of that will be.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

My understanding is that the deal with Marvel was for five movies with Spiderman in them, and there's now been five movies. So Sony has to be proactive to some extent; even if they want to keep him in the MCU for now, they need to negotiate what the terms of that will be.

That has been reported, yeah. But Holland talks about the third one like it's happening, and recently there was a report going around that the Far From Home had to break a billion dollars or Marvel didn't get to make the third one. 

It could be that it was five movies back when Infinity War/Endgame was gonna be one movie split in two halves, and they just amended it when they decided make them two distinct films. 

34 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm fairly sure Sony does not want to pull him out of the MCU at all. They just want to be able to put him in Venom II, Morbius and their other movies and profit off this version of the character's popularity. 

Ah, that makes more sense.

It would be to Sony's advantage if they could have their cake and eat it too - maintain the MCU Spidey so that they get their reliable popularity and revenues, but have the chance to insert him into their own movies too. Financially it makes sense but artistically it sounds complicated.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

That has been reported, yeah. But Holland talks about the third one like it's happening, and recently there was a report going around that the Far From Home had to break a billion dollars or Marvel didn't get to make the third one. 

Far From Home is sitting at $980 million as of today, so that's not going to be a problem.

Its six movies, he's got one left.

Yup, and I don't see any crossover potential in the other Phase 4 films, so it'll likely be Spider-Man 3 in 2021 and they can then have a rethink, especially if that's when they'll start seriously thinking about Avengers 5, which will likely only have Thor (and mayyyybe Hulk and Hawkeye, although they both sound like they could be on the way out after their Disney+ shows) as the link to the original team. They'll want Falcon, maybe Winter Soldier, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch as the links to the second generation of the team, and Spider-Man is by far the best-known of those characters.

16 hours ago, Jeor said:

Ah, that makes more sense.

It would be to Sony's advantage if they could have their cake and eat it too - maintain the MCU Spidey so that they get their reliable popularity and revenues, but have the chance to insert him into their own movies too. Financially it makes sense but artistically it sounds complicated.

I wonder if they could use miles morales as a buffer eg introduce him in the MCU with Peter then have him sucked through into another dimension? The spider-verse could simply be one of the MCU's multiverse.

Or let holland spidey appear in a sonyverse film but as someone from another universe. Sony has set the scene for this.

Always figured the next GOTG was going to be about finding the 2014 Gamora. It's a bit sad that she won't have any of the memories of the first two Guardians films, I'm guessing they'll riff off that between Quill/Gamora for a while before they eventually get together again. Or she'll learn more about her "past" through Nebula's memory banks or something.

31 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I'm glad the scene was cut. For me, the death scene was just right. It didn't need the additional pomp and circumstance.

I thought kneeling was a little bizarre. I don't think I've ever seen it used as a gesture of mourning. As a gesture of respect I feel like it has connotations of surrender and maybe resentment. 

31 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Deleted scenes, particularly in the MCU, are never canon.

Right, but I mean even scenes in the movies are not canon if the people making them decide to change things later. (WTF was that "I'll do it myself" Thanos grabs the gauntlet post-credits thing? Does Banner remember his time as Hulk or not? What year does Homecoming take place?)

But this clip was supposedly cut for time/redundancy and I think it's far to say it gives us an idea into how marvel imagined Gamora's fate. 

That said yeah if James gun decides she's dead then she's dead. And Peter's brief "Searching for Gamora" thing on his ship's screen takes on a different tone. 

• 2 weeks later...

I forget, does Agents of SHIELD still count as MCU?

Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) will appear in the final season of AOS

Spoiler

So the "expert in SHIELD history" they need is Peggy.  Sounds like they'll be jumping all over the timeline.  Maybe the Endgame timeline doesn't event exist yet in AOS, but it will eventually?  How fun would it be if the timeline that Cap jumped into to return to Peggy is this one, and he joins SHIELD for the final season?  No expectations of that, but I'd love it.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I forget, does Agents of SHIELD still count as MCU?

That's cool news, but I would say no. It's kinda weird no one at Marvel has come out and said that it takes place in an alternate universe. But now that Marvel Studios is actually making shows that will have the movie characters (SHIELD did have at least seven characters from the movie's in it, but other than Coulson, Carter and Sif they were minor.) and directly effect the movies I don't see how Marvel TV can keep pretending their shows are MCU canon. Especially since the snap seemingly won't happen on any of them.

What's weirder is that Marvel TV is also making Ghost Rider for Hulu with Gabrial Luna and pretending all the Agents of Shield ghost rider stuff never happened. So they really should just say "multi-verse" already. 

Hey it sounds like I'm getting the villain I wanted 

Spoiler

The Temptress

for the 

Spoiler

Asgardian

Movie!    And the cast & related news sorta fits the plot I was angling for too.    Minus 

Spoiler

Sif, probably.

Some other wrathful perv baddie is rumored too, but that's just tossed in there for moviegoers who crave toxic masculinity.   

Archived